A way to explain players Countries.

Discussion of the game lore and medieval ages.

Moderator: Lore Masters

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Re: A way to explain players Countries.

Post by Lukepop » 04 Jun 2014, 06:36

Ok coolio. It was just my suggestion.
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 04 Jun 2014, 06:40

You have some strange understanding of feudalism =) It was a loong age.
Anyway, first colonies in america as example. You obtain a right to claim your land and go anywhere you like to claim it. Yet you are limited in the size of a plot. Same thing here. You are capped with 250 tiles at max authority skill.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 04 Jun 2014, 09:29

It wasn't people taking land that was the issue. It was people forming kingdoms that were recognised by the established powers.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 04 Jun 2014, 09:35

Azerath wrote:-Peasants were granted land under Feudalism, they didn't get to claim it as theirs. In this game, we're going to do the opposite.

Originally it was theirs in the time before feudalism. Feudal social structures arose when it became apparent that peasants couldn't protect their land anymore on their own.

Azerath
Alpha Tester

Post by Azerath » 04 Jun 2014, 15:50

Siegbert wrote:
Azerath wrote:-Peasants were granted land under Feudalism, they didn't get to claim it as theirs. In this game, we're going to do the opposite.

Originally it was theirs in the time before feudalism. Feudal social structures arose when it became apparent that peasants couldn't protect their land anymore on their own.

Right, which is why I said we're going back to the beginning.

This new world was discovered by the Emperor. In essence, it belongs to the Acaelian Empire, of which we are refugees. The Emperor still lives, though he's in no position to grant land and title to anybody.

In Feudalism, Lords allow serfs to work the land for them, but it still belongs to the Lord. The 13 American colonies were granted charters from the Crown, so they still required permission from the Monarch.

Unless I'm mistaken, at game launch we'll be allowed to put down stakes wherever we want without having to seek the permission of the Emperor, or any other Lord. That makes it more like the American Frontier where you worked the land and owned it. Theoretically, if the Emperor wanted to, he could declare all of our claims illegal and take the land for himself, or grant it to another.
Caelitus Mihi Vires

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 04 Jun 2014, 16:14

Is the age of colonization still considered feudalism?

Azerath
Alpha Tester

Post by Azerath » 04 Jun 2014, 19:50

Siegbert wrote:Is the age of colonization still considered feudalism?

No, by then the importance of land had decreased, and was replaced by currency as the source of power.

Even so, Monarchies were still going strong and you couldn't just declare ownership of a piece of land, but at that point you might have been able to buy it.
Caelitus Mihi Vires

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 05 Jun 2014, 07:05

Excuse me but no-one answered what I said about recognised kingdoms.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Azerath
Alpha Tester

Post by Azerath » 05 Jun 2014, 16:24

I'm not sure the point you were trying to make.

You said, "it wasn't people taking land that was the issue," land/resources are what the vast majority of wars have been fought over since there has been recorded history. So I think maybe you're trying to say something else here.

If a government pops up that the rest of the worlds sees as illegitimate, it's going to have a rough time of it, no matter what era you're in.
Caelitus Mihi Vires

Strategos

Post by Strategos » 19 Aug 2014, 18:18

This looks suspiciously like the "coalition" you recently declined to join...
Having second thoughts? :beer:

Link to the Duchy of Camorr Official Website:
http://duchyofcamorr.enjin.com/
Link to the Duchy of Camorr thread:
the-gentleman-bastards-t1255/
Link to The Duchy of Camorr Steam group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/theduchyofcamorr

Strategos

Post by Strategos » 19 Aug 2014, 18:20

Also, there will be recognized kingdoms when one guild vassalizes another or creates another guild to settle another city (so they can expand) and vassalizes them...

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 19 Aug 2014, 20:52

Dude., The thread was dead already.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Strategos

Post by Strategos » 19 Aug 2014, 23:13

Your partly right... Should've reigned in the debate a wee bit...
But (and I know you won't respond to this) if someone joined it would reincarnate things a wee bit...

Indi
Alpha Tester

Post by Indi » 24 Aug 2014, 17:35

There are a lot of young men pulling "facts" from their asses about history in this thread.
Veteran of Roma Victor, Darkfall, Mortal Online.

Daniloy

Post by Daniloy » 24 Aug 2014, 20:14

Indi wrote:There are a lot of young men pulling "facts" from their asses about history in this thread.

Welcome to the Internet.

Firewaterfriday
Alpha Tester

Post by Firewaterfriday » 18 Sep 2014, 09:18

One thing that I haven't heard of so far, is whether there can be land disputes in a guild. Like in-fighting,civil war, desertion, etc. I want to be a merc/guard not attached to one guild how do I do that without the option to leave/desert? Time contracts consented to by both parties with promise of reward in specific amount?

Engellus
Alpha Tester

Post by Engellus » 19 Sep 2014, 09:55

Firewaterfriday wrote:One thing that I haven't heard of so far, is whether there can be land disputes in a guild. Like in-fighting,civil war, desertion, etc. I want to be a merc/guard not attached to one guild how do I do that without the option to leave/desert? Time contracts consented to by both parties with promise of reward in specific amount?

I don't see why there won't be. People act stupidly and piss each other off, so the large guilds may fracture and have in fighting. Who knows, maybe someone will hire assassins? Or perhaps a guild will hire bandits to attack another instead of openly declaring war. Just as a means to weaken their competition without risking their own necks.
ᚤᚦᚨᚱᚨᛒᚨ:ᛊᛒᚨ:ᚷᚩᚷᚩᚷᚩ

If all you want is to come to fight, we have the graves of our fathers. Come on, find these and try to destroy them: you shall know then whether we will fight you. -Idanthyrsus

Apep

Post by Apep » 23 Sep 2014, 08:56

Imo, people claiming land on their own in medieval times has an example too. Mainly early medieval era, though, think about the migration period. Also it was quite common in East Europe aswell, especially in slavic regions. After the Saxons were conquered by the Franks, they simply moved on to the east and claimed land on their own instead of asking the Emperor about it.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 23 Sep 2014, 09:08

Apep wrote:Imo, people claiming land on their own in medieval times has an example too. Mainly early medieval era, though, think about the migration period. Also it was quite common in East Europe aswell, especially in slavic regions. After the Saxons were conquered by the Franks, they simply moved on to the east and claimed land on their own instead of asking the Emperor about it.

That's true, also for later periods of the Middle Ages. I'm thinking of Henry the Lion claiming Slavic regions for himself. But still he ultimatively was subject to his king and the regions where considered property of the kingdom/empire.
It was common practice for the kings to grant those regions to the local lords as fief. In the case of Henry the Lion who was accused of acting too much in his own interest when it came to imperial politics he was stripped of his lands which were newly distributed to smaller lords more closely allied with emperor Barbarossa.

Return to Lore Section