About Blueprints and Carts + animals + crops + cooking + forestry

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Javier.garciamoyano

About Blueprints and Carts + animals + crops + cooking + forestry

Post by Javier.garciamoyano » 09 Dec 2016, 22:13

Ahoy everyone this is just my opinion about this items based in my experience in this and other games.

Blueprints:

I understand that this is for raise the difficulty of crafting last tier items but... I think kinda makes sense that you need to "unlock" the knowledge for making high tier items, kinda trial and error until you can make a good weapon or armor but the idea that once you've "unlock" that knowledge (spending lots of hours and materials) and then its one use only its ridiculous, because when you reach that level of mastery you dont just forget about your masterpiece and when you reach 90 skill you're suppose to have the mastery enough to craft better stuff. Instead you can could make this high tier items really hard to do with material requirements and i'm not just talking about cuantity but also quality. For example if you want to craft a full plate breastpalte you would need a heavy tunic, 10 steel bars, 10 leather strips, 2 thick leather, 2 thin leather and 4 linen ropes ( for royal would need royal padded, more resourses and add some precious ores). So you have the knowledge but won't be able to mass produce because of the high cost.

Carts pulled by animals:

First of all... we need larger carts, that's a fact. But one person can't move a larger cart...so you need animals. this larger carts could have building logs inside and have different bonuses depending on the animal pulling it ( more weight increase with bull and no extra weight with horses but more speed). This would agilize the construction process by reducing the carrying times. Also this could open a whole set of trading gameplay, traveling from one settlement to another with goods for trade, making trade routes...or you could make yourself a bandit and assault the carts... and if you're a trader maybe you can hire players to protect you. So... a bunch of new gameplay.

Crops:
Yes it is very realistic that crops takes that much time to grow... but taking a horse into your inventory isn't. This is a game, we want to have fun and if you want to be a farmer... well...it would be pretty much boring because once you saw... you don't have anything to do until harvest time and then...well.. your crops will probably not be high ql for a long long time (i'm talking about real life months here). So... i think waiting a week (in real life) for the crops to fully mature its ok. Also you can develor a "taking care" system for crops. For example if you sow ql 1 wheat in ql 1 soil and you just wait until harvest day... well you would have ql 1 wheat. But you could sow in the same conditions and do heavy maintenance for the crops every day removing weeds, watering (pouring water in the ground or having a watering can) and have the soil constantly fertilized... then you deserve a better ql wheat . You can do it also otherwise... if you sow ql 100 wheat in ql 100 soil and you just wait until harvest time... crops will drop in ql. So it could be this way:
no maintenance = -50% ql
proper maintenance= no ql loss
regular maintenance = +25% ql bonus
heavy maintenance = +50% ql bonus

This would be very rewarding for farmers and they could lv up the skill doing maintenance... and you would have a lot more of variety in crops ql depending on the efforts you put in it, the base ql of crop and soil and your farming lv. You can also make that some crops or plants grows or give fruits in specific seasons and you would have a whole new world of farming. Pretty funny at my ayes.

Cooking:
You dont need to know how to make flour to know how to use it. Its tier 4... i would remove prepare food from nature's lore and set cooking in tier 2 of nature's lore brach.

Forestry:
Remove forestry unless you could make it more usefull. Gather sprouts with Nature's lore and plant with farming instead.

MrTopbanana
True Believer

Re: About Blueprints and Carts + animals + crops + cooking + forestry

Post by MrTopbanana » 10 Dec 2016, 03:00

Animal carts are comming.
The farming idea i agree with, you should maintain it, becaus otherwise farmers must wait weeks before be able to be very usefull again.

The blueprints are good as they are in my opinion.
Cooking seems fine as well.

Moggy
True Believer

Post by Moggy » 17 Dec 2016, 23:57

No.1 Blue prints are fine as they are its supposed to be hard to create a master piece, so not every single person has heavy plate or chain in the mmo. This helps distinguish those blacksmiths who take the extra steps to bring heavy armor into the lands instead of a mound of slag iron.

No.2 Forestry is very useful skill to have in communities being able to replant trees at 100Q is stupendously important for any level of Q for every thing.

No.3 Carts are being worked on as we speak. The devs have released news tabs about the progress withen the last week or so discussing the topic of adding logs into carts.

No.4 There are ways to improve your seed stock's quality with maintenance with processes such as: Finding appropriate soil, fertilizing, waiting for correct conditions and other processes

TyrelionPrime
Devoted Believer

Post by TyrelionPrime » 28 Mar 2017, 10:35

Just going to give my 2 cents on 2 of your suggestions:

1) Blueprints: It is indeed a bit silly that you get a blueprint after hours of smithing and... it is as single use. It is a bit ridiculous this way... a Master Blacksmith does not forget after years of improving his/her skills how to make this very fancy armour...
However, until there is another system in place that would prevent every idiot peasant to get his hands on tier 3 and tier 4 armour... unfortunately it needs to be this way. :s

2) Crop: I personally like the fact they increased the growth period of the crops and make weather conditions effect this. It adds some realism to the farming.
However, as things are now, there is nothing much to do in between :s
I like the idea of farmers having to tend to their crops while they grow.
Just letting them grow in some field without tending to it, should yield less quality and quantity or even make you loose some patches as animals could eat or destroy the crops or crops dying from lack of water,...
While tending to your crops by watering them, getting rid of pests like snails which could eat your lettuce YOUR BEAUTIFUL LETTUCE NOOOOO (which we actually still do not have but well... who cares, you get the point), would result in a higher quantity and quality yield.
This would give farmers something to do while the crops grow. This could perhaps also give Advanced Farming more use as a skill to learn...

However, one BIG remark here. The reason to implement this would be to make farming a bit more interesting and less boring... so this should not be just another tedious and repetitive job to do for players. Every day just running around the fields clicking all squares to do the same action over and over again... would simply defeat the purpose of such a system.
If such a system were to be deviced, it should bring variety to the game.
Log in to check on crops, walk among the crops and seeing one patch of weat turning dark, which would indicate a pest killing that square. Which would infect the adjecent squares if left untended.
Weed popping up on other squares which would require you to pull it out.
And if it hasn't rained for a long time, the lack of water would then effect the entire field or at least most of it as lack of water would effect a larger area not just one square (that would be a VERY localised rainshower otherwise)...
etc etc

I think that if they are able to implement sucha system it would make farming a lot more interesting and bring variety to the job. As of now it is the same thing over and over again and with the lower crop growth rate, it has become even more boring with all the waiting in between.... And this would give farmers a less boring way to actually level their skills instead of having to plow the entire area...

IMO this should be the case for all skills. Get rid of the tedious useless grinding. It just looks silly to level jewelry, for example, all the way up to 90 or higher by making 500000 silver rings and then just recycle them back to silver lumps... that is just the stupidest way to have to level a skill.
Skills should be leveled up by meaningful tasks.

Fhoer
Zealous Believer

Post by Fhoer » 29 Mar 2017, 15:42

Blueprints:

Blueprints could be used in many different areas, like a blueprint for a more efficient plow, or a Big Barn, or a special warehouse where it fits more itens, or the same storage space with less material, you can discover new blueprints and trade them, you can't copy

Blueprints as an improvement would be really nice, so it extends the progression of the game... imagine a better kitchen, better alchemist shop, better trebuchet, faster carts or even different ships (if they implement one)

Almost every skill should have a blueprint

It even helps to "organically" implement new buildings/items, you just create the item, require a blueprint, and for 1-2 months you make easier to this specific blueprint drop.

Implemented a new crown (headgear)? the jeweler will discover it.
Implemented a new sword, or even royal swords? blueprint
Tools with multi-function, like a pick with a hoe, so you can plow fields and dig stone? blueprint

Crops:

My suggestion is to have 3 different fertilizers, for example, you have Dung, and 2 others made by an alchemist, one mineral like a mineral catalyst + items and a organic one too... maybe the recipes could be made with blueprints, as alchemists just put "random" stuff together to discover new proprieties of the matter.
The idea is, the first time you use dung to fertilize, it gives you 3Q points, the second time you get 2Q points, third or plus 1Q point. So, for you to get back 1 point, you need to use a different fertilizer... it will help players to improve large fields, if you use 3 different fertilizers you get 9 points
you can have even some crops helping to reset this counter as it was used in history, so you need a more complex crop cycle to keep your fields productive, or even letting crops die sometimes boost the quality in 5-10 points. Or creating a "heavy plow" blueprint, where you need bulls to pull it can give a bonus in quality, the heavy plow being slower than the normal one.
The idea is making the "fertilizer" job more deep and giving extra functions to alchemists, so they don't make just poisons, flux, naphtha and refreshing preparation forever...
Fhoer BlackOak

Founder of Black Sun.
Private Property, Individualism and decentralized power of decision are our fundation.

Nomeatloaf
Zealous Believer

Post by Nomeatloaf » 29 Mar 2017, 16:20

Blueprints for armor are an absolute must, as cost does not mean anything. look at the big guilds as an example. if we had unlimited blueprints, we could make so much armor, we could arm and armor the entire MMO population with armor to spare. if the cost went up by even 20x, it would do nothing, besides slow down how fast guilds would go to heavy armor. so instead of having t3 in 3 weeks, it would take 10 or so. but it would never go back to t2, once it reached that point.
Now that is not saying blueprints work correctly now. they have WAY too low of a drop chance currently.
We will take your women, burn your villages, and drink from your skulls! - Sparhawk Battleborn

Fhoer
Zealous Believer

Post by Fhoer » 29 Mar 2017, 16:55

I think tier 2 armor will have a great use in the MMO.
Tier 3 armor use regional resources, this resources are harder to produce, so they are more scarce, lets use a bit of praxiology and catalaxy to analise the situation:

You have tier 3 armor, it is better than tier 2
Tier 3 use specific materials with a limited supply
Everyone wants to use a tier 3.
armors aren't easy to mantain
Armors can be lost in combat

what will happen: the price of the regional resources will go up, so the armor by itself would be expensive, lets consider 2 situations: player/soldier who need to buy their own equipment and guilds which givers to the soldier the equipment.
In both cases the tier 3 armor will be expensive, so both need to valuate the "cost of individual protection".
In the end i think people will use tier 3 in the most needed classes and tier 2 in the classes where you can use another types of protection like shields or horses or have inexperienced players in their ranks.

Example 1: 1 handed weapons foot soldiers probably use shields, so they don't need an tier 3 armor like a 2 handed weapons foot soldier, which relies on his armor for protection.

Example 2: archers maybe use tier 3 armor more often than crossbowman, archers are more exposed to fire, crossbowman can use a pavise shield in their backs and be able to reload protected, so you don't need to expend more "cost of opportunity" to protect a crossbowman.

Example 3: A noob PvP player, if you give a tier 3 to a noob and he dies, he loses a good set of equipment, a tier 2 is ok, as the cost is lower, so if he loses is just cheap (but useful) equips, let's say the noob is the right place in the right time and kill a player with a tier 3 armor, he just got better equipment after this fight.

As i always say, equipment don't win a battle, is the tactics, maneuvers, organization and discipline and using the terrain and opportunities at your favor.
If you have a "tier 3 regiment" and the enemies found a good way to "pepper" your regiment using arrows, you will lose in a direct attack against a tier 2 regiment, so equipment don't win battles, as it implies, equipment is a tool which helps you to archive victory.
Fhoer BlackOak

Founder of Black Sun.
Private Property, Individualism and decentralized power of decision are our fundation.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 29 Mar 2017, 20:02

You know, Wurm had a pretty intensive system for farming and taking care of animals. Its one of the reasons I quit playing. Having to weed and brush animals everyday is mind-numbing work and I don't want to log in every day to perform boring tasks.

As it is, coops, stables and barns are a pain. The right level of pain in my opinion. Farming requires plowing and fertilizing, then harvesting. Again, the right level of each. No need to make it even more intensive.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Fhoer
Zealous Believer

Post by Fhoer » 29 Mar 2017, 21:27

It is more complex, not intensive, the only intensive thing is the "powa" of the fertilizers... instead making a ton of dong to fertilize the fields you can call an alchemist to make other fertilizers and make the process take less time and resources, but you need a "technological advancement".
instead you using 9 dongs to improve 9 points instead you use 1 dong, 1 mineral fertilizer and 1 organic fertilizer... but you need a alchemist to help to produce it...
Fhoer BlackOak

Founder of Black Sun.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 29 Mar 2017, 22:47

Fhoer wrote:It is more complex, not intensive, the only intensive thing is the "powa" of the fertilizers... instead making a ton of dong to fertilize the fields you can call an alchemist to make other fertilizers and make the process take less time and resources, but you need a "technological advancement".
instead you using 9 dongs to improve 9 points instead you use 1 dong, 1 mineral fertilizer and 1 organic fertilizer... but you need a alchemist to help to produce it...

I think this would be a great idea for Alchemy in LIF. Perhaps the Flux Alchemy recipe could be used to create an improved form of fertilizer that increases the amount of harvested herbs from herb gardens.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 29 Mar 2017, 23:38

Fhoer wrote: Tier 3 armor use regional resources, this resources are harder to produce, so they are more scarce, lets use a bit of praxiology and catalaxy to analise the situation

I finished the last test run with 2 tier 3 armor sets and over 120 regional iron ingots from all regions pretty much in my collection (main smith). I won't make armor for everyone if the MMO opens with such change, but I can definitely gear army of 50 with tier 3 armors. These 120+ regional iron ingots took 2 weeks (the 2nd rest run was 2 weeks) and 3 miners.
Regional iron is hard to get for noobs who stack the iron, drop it on the ground or just don't mine much.

On the topic of farmers ... if it's boring for someone they are doing something very wrong. Farmers are one of the most overworked professions on the MMO atm, how can that be boring...
If you plant small fields that can give 1 set of armor for everyone in a small group of 4-5 players yeah it might be boring. But farming is also 150 points from 400 skillcap (up 600 for PvE toons). It's not like smiths of builders who are (usually) all in for example.

Fhoer
Zealous Believer

Post by Fhoer » 30 Mar 2017, 02:20

I'm a builder and played as smith, it is boring to grind... hahahah

the fertilizer system shoudn't use flux as basis, should use just the catalysts and drop by blueprint, so it is one specific catalyst and more stuff...
the idea is to have 3 fertilizers, dung, organic and mineral, so you can use them to get a fertilizing boost in the fields, the game would stay the same for people who just use dung.

I'm basing in NPK fertilizers, Nitrogen is fixed in the soil by some crops or even dead crops, dung just adds carbon, if i'm not wrong... Phosphorus and Potassium if found in rocks, specific rocks, so instead creating a new rock in the game, you just make it using the catalyst...

as it is a game and in the time people didn't knew about that, that is why i proposed Blueprints...
Fhoer BlackOak

Founder of Black Sun.

Nymity
Zealous Believer

Post by Nymity » 31 Mar 2017, 04:19

Blueprints:

What about adding a timer to the blueprints?

So ...

1. Practice your craft to learn how to make Tier 3
2. Collect the region specific and quality materials to make it.
3. Blueprint goes on timer for ... 1 in-game month(?) while you recover from making the masterwork. (Edit: Perhaps the regions could change on each use, or the materials, or both?)

That way, once you eventually practice the Tier 3 enough to recieve a Tier 4 blueprint. The materials and the waiting time are both more elaborate.

Bear in mind .. that any crafter that can put in more hours than another, is going to gain access to these items faster. There is NO fix for that, nor should there be. This is just a tempering of the process.

Farming:

I like farming as it currently is in the MMO ... The process can be somewhat, but not overwhelmingly, mysterious. I also like the extended growing period ... it encourages more than 1 super max field, planting at different times, so that I always have some farming to do, but it doesn't take over my whole play time.

Might be nice if different types of crops had different grow times though, or perhaps, different growth tick conditions, just to add variety.

Cooking:

Who wouldn't want this skill to be accessible a bit sooner. Perhaps remove Advanced Farming ... add access to a mix of lower cooking and brewing skills ... then branch off into the full Brewing or Cooking lines?

Forestry:

My only complaint with forestry is that the levels ... and access to new types of trees ... seems so spread out.

If you could get access to spruce and birch at 0, move pine to 30 with aspen, maybe?

(**Edited to add idea of changing materials for Tier 3 and 4 blueprints between uses)
Patience Gadabout
(of the sisters Gadabout: Patience, Atsuko and Jax)

Joshua_Goldberg

Post by Joshua_Goldberg » 31 Mar 2017, 05:44

I agree with alot of OP but I think there still should be a bit of randomness, like just because your a Master you can still make a blemished Item, but also the same you can make maybe a super better item super rarely.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas