Broadhead or Bodkin arrow?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

DoomBringer

Broadhead or Bodkin arrow?

Post by DoomBringer » 12 Jan 2016, 21:45

Which one is the best against infantry and why?

Dakkon

Re: Broadhead or Bodkin arrow?

Post by Dakkon » 13 Jan 2016, 04:02

Bodkin vs Plate - plate has high slash resist but if weak against piercing.

They should be roughly equal against the other 4 armor types.

Deus-X-Incognita

Post by Deus-X-Incognita » 13 Jan 2016, 04:20

No single answer.

Infantry is no clear category for this question, because, also depending on server, infantry can have a variety of Armor.
And Armor is the deciding factor for the effectiveness of the arrows.

Padded Armor:
Broadhead Arrow
Because Padded Armor has equal resistance to both and Boradhead does more damage.

Leather Armor.
Broadhead Arrow
Because Leather Armor has a higher piercing resist than slashing resist, and the Broadhead Arrow does more damage too.

Scale Armor:
Probably Broadhead Arrow
It has a higher slashing resist, but I think the higher damage of the broadhead Arrow compared to the bodkin will still decide the match

Chain Armor:
Probably Irrelevant
The Armor has higher slashing resist, but from the numbers for armor and arrows provided I think it balances out more or less exactly.

Plate Armor
Bodkin Arrow
Cause Slashing damage against Plate is a bad idea (and yes, the numbers back that up)

Now the question is what infantry are you facing?
On current servers, all kind of skill limits can be found, so on some armor and weapon have nothing at all to do with each other.

On MMO settings, its probably more related. Then you could filter it that way:

You have Leather Archers, I wouldn't count those to infantry.
You have Chain Riders, no infantry.
You have Scale Infantry. Those have a shield. Forget Ranged weaponry.
You have Padded Spear bearers. Broadhead do more damage. Bodkin does damage too.
You have Plate Two Handers. Bodkin do more damage. Broadhead do probably no damage worht speaking about.

My conclusion: Use Bodkin arrows if you only want one kind of arrow. You can hurt plate armored foes, and it hurts others too.

In fact, only the scale armor has a better pierce resist than the plate armor, all other suffer at least the same.
German RP Server

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 13 Jan 2016, 04:24

In my experience the Bodkin arrow damage dropoff is only around 10% less than the broadheads. This renders the bodkin the most effective arrow against chain, scale, and plate... especially when they are wearing 60+, 90+ armor tiers, where slashing protection %'s become very high.

Against padded and leather, there isn't much of a difference, so broadhead is marginally better... but you rarely see these armors.

Bodkin is far superior in my book.

Airco

Post by Airco » 13 Jan 2016, 10:06

iam whit stormsblade here,
as far as i tested bodkin is the way to go
even vs leather its not bad and on the field where alot of players are with difrent armors u dont end up swapping arrows quickly
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark2
Cpu: intel I5-4690 3.5Ghz
Cpu cooler: thermaltake Frio Extreme Silent 14 Dual
Mem: Corsair 16gb, Cmy16gx3m2a2133c11r
Gpu: Geforce 970, Asus STRIX GTX970 DC2OC 4GD5
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
HD: SAMSUNG 75E250RW SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 13 Jan 2016, 23:02

In this game, bodkin arrows seem to be able to go through anything like it's butter, so definitely go for them as much as you can, as they allow you to do crazy damage against any type of armored opponent. The only problem you'll have with them is dealing with shields, but in that case just get some backup or aim for the head / knees.

DoomBringer

Post by DoomBringer » 16 Jan 2016, 20:49

I performed some tests with Bodkin and Broadhead arrows and I'm thinking Broadhead is better even if Bodkin does more damage to armored opponents. Broadhead obviously deals less damage to armored opponents but its slashing damage make the opponent bleed like crazy. You hit him once or twice and he's running away eventually losing consciousness due to blood loss. I killed 2 guys in scale armor today like that. Bodkin also induces bleeding but it's pretty weak and it expires fast.

Return to General Discussion