Bunnies, breeding and death

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Sunnyravencourt

Bunnies, breeding and death

Post by Sunnyravencourt » 26 Sep 2014, 14:21

These damned rabbits are the most fickle breeders ever. We've been running 4 coops with all sorts of animals in there and had ONE baby in like 4 days. So these guys aren't breeding, which makes them basically one time use. This leads to the next problem. They die of old age way too fast. Inside 24 hours. You can end the night at 11:00pm, go to work the next day, log in at 5pm and every chicken and rabbit has died of old age with no bunnies or chicks born. That needs a fix.

Just lookin' to have a happy farm here. :)

Grey

Re: Bunnies, breeding and death

Post by Grey » 26 Sep 2014, 14:32

the only thing the coop is for: they gain in quality in the coops, but then again, quality hide doesn't do anything at all...

so basically: keep them in, to gather dung, if you want to level your animal lore, keep chicken and hope for some eggs ;)

Sugam

Post by Sugam » 26 Sep 2014, 14:58

I have gotten one new born rabbit in the first 12 hours of starting. I hope in your case they all don't die the next day. :/

Taiea

Post by Taiea » 27 Sep 2014, 03:30

The timing of hare and chicken birth/death cycle probably based on server settings. So if you are on a server using the faster feeding and breeding times then I would guess their circle of life is shortened.
My questions are:
- how do you know a bunny or chick has been born?
- how old is 'old' (but not dead) for hares and chickens?
I am trying to figure out if my critters are breeding but so far I haven't a clue. I stuffed one coop and working on number two then three but I can't see the coop growing or shrinking. I see hares and chickens aging but not dying off. I want to slaughter them before they die if so. So if you could tell me the age of an old bunny and chicken at least that will help!

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 27 Sep 2014, 09:06

Someone added to my guide on the wiki that they die at age 7.

http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Anima ... ining_Tips
The Foxtail empire successfully defended against the evil space ponies!
Read all about it: Second Invasion of Rævehjerte Repelled

- Shores of Hazeron

Taiea

Post by Taiea » 28 Sep 2014, 22:30

Deantwo wrote:Someone added to my guide on the wiki that they die at age 7.

After monitoring my coops closely for about 24 hours (real time), I have observed that my hares get to 10 then die of old age. Of course our server has the animal settings on default so it may depend on the server configuration.

I will also mention that neither my hares nor chickens have bred. :/ My chickens produce eggs to harvest and the coops do need cleaning from time to time but nary a newborn chick or hare to be found.

My main chicken coop is actually stuck at 17 chickens - I cannot put in any more nor will they fill it themselves. They will die off and I can refill to 17 or wait and hope they will breed but for some reason 17 is the maximum of that one coop.

And the main hare coop has always had less than 16 hares in it and as few as 11 but still no breeding.

My small animals are feeding and pooping regularly but simply not breeding. :P The coops are claimed by my character and have been for more than 24 hours real time. Farming is at 100, Animal Lore is 68 (would be higher if the durn animals would cooperate), and my procuration is now at 84. Their food is of quality 61-67. What am I doing wrong? Why won't those small critters breed??

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 22:34

Taiea wrote:I will also mention that neither my hares nor chickens have bred. :/ My chickens produce eggs to harvest and the coops do need cleaning from time to time but nary a newborn chick or hare to be found.

This is entirely speculation, but is it possible that new chickens will only come from unharvested eggs?
SKULLS FOR THE THRONE OF KHORNE!!!

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 29 Sep 2014, 05:01

The small animals' breeding rate is at least so slow that it doesn't matter at all.

Best thing I can say is to set out more Snare Traps and catch some more.

- Shores of Hazeron

Taiea

Post by Taiea » 29 Sep 2014, 09:02

Chassit wrote:
Taiea wrote:I will also mention that neither my hares nor chickens have bred. :/ My chickens produce eggs to harvest and the coops do need cleaning from time to time but nary a newborn chick or hare to be found.

This is entirely speculation, but is it possible that new chickens will only come from unharvested eggs?

I had wondered that but nothing happens when they remain in there and then server reset emptied it of dung and harvestable items. But hares don't make eggs and still not breeding.

I saw some other thread talking about the super low possibility of small animals breeding (at 0.04% !!!!!) soo yeah I am not going to worry about that now. I just thought I was doing something wrong. lol

Back to endless plant fiber collecting and snaring small animals!

Luis
Alpha Tester

Post by Luis » 29 Sep 2014, 11:44

The annoying thing is that you need thin leather for scale armors.
Thin leather can only be obtained from hares-
Wich cant be breeded in the coop nor in the small stable.
Need to take a look into the barn but we dont really feel like spending 3 locks on it.
so, for one armor you need 12 thin leather (without helmet)
That means, in the optimum case, you need 120 plant fibers.
Tho, i would say the chance to get a hare from a trap is like 30%.
So getting one armor needs about 360 plant fibers.
We are 5 people, every one of us wants an armor.
1800 plant fibers over all. +/- 200if we cant breed hares in the barn, well, we will have to spent some time standing around beating the floor up.
Just some little math from me.

Nyack

Post by Nyack » 29 Sep 2014, 12:29

The problem I am having is that each server crash seems to age the animals by 1-2. This seems to make it so they die within 3 resets (e.g. max 3 hours on my particular server) before they have a chance to breed. The breeding seems to occur over time, and that time gets reset on server crash. Basically I only see breeding happen overnight when server stays up for more than 3 hours. So I think some of the problems here will be resolved when the servers are more stable.

Taiea

Post by Taiea » 02 Oct 2014, 02:57

Taiea wrote:

After monitoring my coops closely for about 24 hours (real time), I have observed that my hares get to 10 then die of old age.

UPDATE - I have had hares that have reached age 13 ! AND as I was actually looking at the thing , marveling its old age, it promptly died. :P
Perhaps they live longer based on some skill (animal lore)??

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 02 Oct 2014, 05:44

Taiea wrote:
Taiea wrote:

After monitoring my coops closely for about 24 hours (real time), I have observed that my hares get to 10 then die of old age.

UPDATE - I have had hares that have reached age 13 ! AND as I was actually looking at the thing , marveling its old age, it promptly died. :P
Perhaps they live longer based on some skill (animal lore)??

If it was based on your skill level, how would the coop know who's skill level to use when there are multiple users?
Maybe has to do eith their Q level? No idea yet really, but read this:
https://lifeisfeudal.com/mantis/view.php?id=1050

- Shores of Hazeron

Taiea

Post by Taiea » 02 Oct 2014, 22:45

@DeanTwo
All of my coops are claimed - one user only. So I can't really comment on the multiple user question. I do agree with everything else the mantis tracker report. My small animals have only ever lived for a bout 24-36 hours in a coop and I have only had two baby chicks born in operating coops of 10 animals or more within a 10 day period of real time. I have never seen a baby hare born.

I also somewhere in these forums that small animal breeding is at 0.04% so very unlikely in any case.
Also, small animals will not breed in completely full coops - leave them with room to grow - stuffed with 10 small animals but less than 20.
And finally, I read that the coop must be claimed for breeding to happen at all. I do not know if that information is confirmed or not though.

But for my experience, the bug/tweak report is correct. The breeding rate is too low and the death rate too high!

Yal_Yager

Post by Yal_Yager » 10 Oct 2014, 08:41

Harvesting eggs is TOTALLY the best way I found to level.
I get a LOT of Animal Lore xp for a few eggs every hour.

There also seems to be a minimum age of about 6-7, regardless of quality.

Also do animal traps work?

Cheers :beer:

Syeed

Post by Syeed » 10 Oct 2014, 12:51

Taiea wrote:My small animals are feeding and pooping regularly but simply not breeding. :P The coops are claimed by my character and have been for more than 24 hours real time. Farming is at 100, Animal Lore is 68 (would be higher if the durn animals would cooperate), and my procuration is now at 84. Their food is of quality 61-67. What am I doing wrong? Why won't those small critters breed??

Have you tried setting the mood? Put on some romantic music, dim the lights, maybe slip some booze in their water dish?

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 10 Oct 2014, 15:05

Yal_Yager wrote:Also do animal traps work?

They "work", as in you can place and pick them back up.
But they currently can't capture anything.

- Shores of Hazeron

Keller

Post by Keller » 10 Oct 2014, 15:32

Deantwo wrote:

Not even players, as we set a few outside the door of player houses.

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 10 Oct 2014, 19:00

Keller wrote:
Deantwo wrote:

Not even players, as we set a few outside the door of player houses.

Once implemented/fixed, I think they'll just work like the Snare Traps do, just with bigger animals.

- Shores of Hazeron

Shalee
Zealous Believer

Post by Shalee » 12 Oct 2014, 00:06

It is the same on our server as well.

In a week or more of playing, I've only had 1 chicken and 1 hare to produce from breeding.

With the breeding nearly impossible, and the animals dying so quickly, it sucks to have to keep repopulating the coops with animals. I think having 10 plant fibers to make one snare is way out of proportion to what you actually get from the chore.

We have five in our village as well, all wanting armor. I pretty much spend my time gathering plant fibers- and that is SO not fun. Especially since it isn't guaranteed each time- despite my skill for gathering it being maxed out.

It should take around 2 or 3 plant fibers for the snares, that is much more reasonable. Especially since you cannot resuse the snares.

I hope I don't come off as whining, I really don't mean to. But I almost loathe logging onto the game because I know that the majority of my time is just gathering plant fibers.

Return to General Discussion