Character Creation Guide?

Want to learn or teach others some of the finer details of Life is Feudal? This section is for the game guides, tutorials and FAQ's.

Julian88
True Believer

Character Creation Guide?

Post by Julian88 » 24 Nov 2017, 12:51

Is there one? I've seen some for the other LiF games but searched and found nothing clear so far.

There's no information on the character creation screen at all to tell me what the various choices I can make mean.

Velius

Re: Character Creation Guide?

Post by Velius » 29 Nov 2017, 08:41

This is from a min/max point of view. If it happens to align with any sort of RP you are looking for, all the better.

General rule of thumb for a brand new character is usually Artisan 55, willpower maximum.

Combat skills are based on race and whatever you want your character to specialize in.

Gottlieb: 55 Cavalry
Svalard: Push either footman or assaulter as high as they can go, however their double specialization means you cannot go to 55 in either.
Khoor: 55 Slinging

And that's pretty much it. At early levels willpower is godstat. All others come quickly through skill use. Strength in particular is ridiculously easy to train up, with agility being not far behind.

Same situation for the non-combat stats. Nature's Lore and Hunting are walks in the park to level, however artisan is solely an at-keyboard skill tree. You would only need 5 points in order to fully unlock all t2 crafting professions attached to it.

For combat, having 55 slinging will save you about 5 days of either screaming at your monitor and giving yourself a coronary or repeatedly hitting yourself in the groin with a mallet to distract you from the agony.

Oh, and make a torch. If you smack a wolf in the face with one they will run away in fear and you will not wind up partying with Little Red Riding Hood's grandma.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 30 Nov 2017, 15:07

I dont like maxing willpower at the start. Having high Agility and decent Willpower is a good start. Strength is important if you are going to use a sling. Because otherwise you will tire out to fast with each shot.

Velius

Post by Velius » 30 Nov 2017, 19:17

Hodo wrote:I dont like maxing willpower at the start. Having high Agility and decent Willpower is a good start. Strength is important if you are going to use a sling. Because otherwise you will tire out to fast with each shot.

Agreed. The reason I mentioned Willpower as a priority is when you are starting out, and particularly if you are not part of a guild or group, you will be needing to haul a lot of material and terraform a lot of earth yourself which can make for a lot of trips back and forth if you do not have the carrying capacity.

Strength and Agility can be raised rapidly by building wattle fences and then beating the crap out of them with a torch. Even without a food modifier Demolition skills up incredibly fast and raises both strength and agility very rapidly. The Movement skill from carrying and dropping objects also raises a good bit of skill, not to mention all the artisan and construction a new player needs to do to get settled in. Since Willpower is much more difficult to raise in-game, I recommend that as a starting stat over strength/agility for a main citizen type character and not a combat alt.

Ultimately it is the player's decision how they want to proceed and all stats can be worked with in-game. Everything point to the same destination, how you get there is totally up to you.

I like you, Hodo. We seem to think alike in a lot of topics.
Last edited by Velius on 01 Dec 2017, 11:21, edited 2 times in total.

Velius

Post by Velius » 01 Dec 2017, 11:19

UPDATE: I needed to take a break from paving in order to preserve my sanity so I decided to run a test. Went out to the woods and built some wattle fences and commenced beating the crap out of them with a torch.

When I started I was around ~33 Demolition skill. My Strength was at 34 and my Agility was around 17 (rounded down to the nearest integer). Food modifier went between around 1.2 and 1.8 depending on hunger level. No power hour was used.

Spent a few hours listening to podcasts and talking in discord and went through a good amount of wattle fences. Since I was in the woods and surrounded by trees that was not a concern as they only take 10 branches to craft. Went through approximately 2.3 torches of around 40 quality. I tried to use thrusts as much as possible beccause your character does not grunt when using those and it was less likely to draw attention since it simply sounds like a hammer performing Construction.

I locked Agility when it hit 30 for my buid and am unsure how high it would have gone as it is the secondary stat of Demolition, but not by very much in terms of gains. I stopped at 91.36 Demolition skill. At that point my strength was 70. I don't know if I will keep it that high and may back it down to 60 but I wanted to get an idea of just how high you could push it with Demolition. I stat capped and had to back my Int down to 10 and started to lower my Willpower. Not sure if I want the added stamina or the added health at this point but that is neither here nor there.

So with that in mind, I am going to definitely stand by my initial thought and recommend high Willpower at the start for a general character, and Constitution for a solely combat characte as Str and Agi are pretty much free at this point and can be gained in a single evening. Note that this may change in a future patch.

Just do yourself a favor and have something going on in the background to take your mind off Demolition. Though fast it is still tedious.

Trevorattack
Zealous Believer

Post by Trevorattack » 08 Dec 2017, 17:15

I made a video tutorial for the MMO Character creation.

https://youtu.be/db1o-MD-0TI

Return to Guides and Tutorials