Closed Beta First Impressions.

A place for alpha & beta testers to show off their screenshots, videos and streams from the Closed Beta

Scratchit
True Believer

Re: Closed Beta First Impressions.

Post by Scratchit » 20 Jul 2017, 21:18

Arrakis wrote:While I may understand being worried about the skillcap, it's a mystery why would anyone want to play alone in a Massive Multiplayer Online sandbox with PvP and politics at its core.

If that statement is true, if you're honest about it, I can totally explain it to you.

I mean I can explain to you why someone, in fact many people, would want to play solo (not alone) in a MMORPG, especially a sandbox with pvp and politics at its core.

Because I'd like to do that, for one. And I've done it in lots of other MMORPGs including sandbox etc

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 21 Jul 2017, 13:37

Scratchit wrote:Because I'd like to do that, for one. And I've done it in lots of other MMORPGs including sandbox etc

Then make sure to hone your skills in one particular area and sell your services to people around and trade goods with them. You can't stay completely secluded in an online game like this if that's what you're planning on doing, not for long anyway.

Scratchit
True Believer

Post by Scratchit » 22 Jul 2017, 18:03

I know this is a bit off topic, but just for the sake of argument, would a young man living alone in his house in a village be secluded?

That's what I was imagining.

You could have a profession, go to the market, participate in throwing tree trunk tournament, steal, fight whatever.

My point is not being in a guild doesn't necessarily mean "secluded".

Not everyone in medieval towns and villages were part of clans, guilds and so on, and the relationship between peasants and the nobility that was "protecting" them wasn't binding like a membership.

It was more a case of "I pay taxes, if we get invaded you shelter us".

Lastly, from a larger angle, I suppose you could say that if you were "born and raised " in a country then you probably couldn't really escape being a national, civilian.

Though from a gaming perspective, specifically to LIF, I insist that playing "solo" should be a viable way to play. I've done it and currently it's extremely time consuming, requires loads of alts, and honestly isn't really much fun.

But I'm not lying when I say that even during the CBT I have read very often in global chat newbies asking if they could "solo". (also on forums since last year)

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 22 Jul 2017, 20:05

Scratchit wrote:I know this is a bit off topic, but just for the sake of argument, would a young man living alone in his house in a village be secluded?

That's what I was imagining.

You could have a profession, go to the market, participate in throwing tree trunk tournament, steal, fight whatever.

My point is not being in a guild doesn't necessarily mean "secluded".

Not everyone in medieval towns and villages were part of clans, guilds and so on, and the relationship between peasants and the nobility that was "protecting" them wasn't binding like a membership.

It was more a case of "I pay taxes, if we get invaded you shelter us".

Lastly, from a larger angle, I suppose you could say that if you were "born and raised " in a country then you probably couldn't really escape being a national, civilian.

Though from a gaming perspective, specifically to LIF, I insist that playing "solo" should be a viable way to play. I've done it and currently it's extremely time consuming, requires loads of alts, and honestly isn't really much fun.

But I'm not lying when I say that even during the CBT I have read very often in global chat newbies asking if they could "solo". (also on forums since last year)

Actually depending on the culture, if you lived in that village you were part of that "clan".

Scottish Highlanders are a great example same for the Danes, Norse, and Swedes. If you lived in the village you were part of that clan, you were part of that fiefdom and ultimately answered to the nobility over you.

People who live alone were hermits and often didnt live long on their own. There are a few examples through history of individuals doing well on their own. But they were often not truly alone just living on the fringe.

Even in modern times if you grew up in one town for most of your life... say till 18... then went out on your own. You will ALWAYS be considered from there. So you are part of that community, that clan of sorts.

I am sure people could let you live on their lands without being part of the clan, but the first sign of trouble and you will be ousted.

While having a profession and going into "town" to trade and such, while that is good and all, you are not truly alone. You are living on the fringe of that society. And that is completely possible, but I would pick somewhere VERY well populated that would support your trade and lifestyle. The starter town is a good point to stay near. Or find a very large active clan after launch and hope they stay that way. So you have people to trade with.

But most large clans will be self-sufficient and not need your wears. They will also offer little in the way of protection to you, as you will not live within their walls.

Either way it is a life choice in game.

Return to Beta Leaks