Combat logging

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Ulfheoinn
True Believer

Re: Combat logging

Post by Ulfheoinn » 19 May 2017, 17:06

Saxxon wrote:You will see something to counter this.

3 years later
[BP] Ulf
Óðinn's special warriors, and elite Viking forces

sunleader
Zealous Believer

Post by sunleader » 20 May 2017, 15:06

Easy Solution.
10 Second Logout Timer inside ones Claim.
40 Second Logout Timer outside ones Claim.

If the Player Disconnect via Alt-F4 the Server just assumes it as normal disconnect as soon as he notices it and log out with these Timers.
Meaning that Alt-F4 is simply the same as logging out regular.

Not a 100% solution but would likely fix 80% of the Combat Logging cases and should be pretty easy to implement.
Pls dont kill this Game by making it an Empty and Dead PvP Arena. The niche of players is so incredible small that it hardly supports one such game. And we already got 10 or so on the Market....

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 20 May 2017, 23:06

Saxxon wrote:You will see something to counter this.

This response is from 2014.

And still nothing... Even a general 10-30 second timer for logging off would fix so many issues

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 21 May 2017, 03:22

Jester wrote:Easy Solution.
10 Second Logout Timer inside ones Claim.
40 Second Logout Timer outside ones Claim.

If the Player Disconnect via Alt-F4 the Server just assumes it as normal disconnect as soon as he notices it and log out with these Timers.
Meaning that Alt-F4 is simply the same as logging out regular.

Not a 100% solution but would likely fix 80% of the Combat Logging cases and should be pretty easy to implement.

Jester is semi-right about having varying logout timers depending on the area the character is located in. The values need to be bigger though, with a combat 'bonus' time. I would go with:

15 seconds if on claim
30 seconds if on no claim
45 seconds if on another's claim

+15 seconds if you attacked someone or had been attacked by someone. Does not refresh with each attack and perhaps a 5 second buffer so that a new 15 second timer could not be started right away.

That way if you are on your own claim and get attacked, simply logging out will not save you, but getting into a structure with a closable door likely will. If you are raiding in someone's claim, then logging out so you get moved 'outside' the claim area will not help you get away faster. In fact it will be just the opposite as the claim owners will beat you senseless.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 21 May 2017, 08:59

There is currently about 20 seconds delay between pressing disconnect and your character actually disappearing. As we all know this is no where near enough in the fluid combat that we have, because only noobs log out when the attacker is already in melee range and can kill them in that time. They usually run, hide behind and obstacle and by the time the attack gets to them he has 1-2 hits at best and they are gone.

Reeve87
Beta Tester

Post by Reeve87 » 30 May 2017, 11:51

Ever played Tibia? That's the only game I can think of where combat logging really did not work at all, so I suggest you get some ideas from that game.

Also, I can explain:

The system prevents you from logging out if you are engaged in combat. Every time you take damage or is targeted by an enemy (looked upon in combat stance), your character will get a buff called "Combat".

As long as this buff is active, your character will NEVER leave the game world. The player gets a message saying "You cannot log out in when you are engaged in combat" if he tries to log off, and if he forces the game to shut then his character will simply remain in the gameworld until the buff is lost somehow. If the character is safe; the timer will simply run out and he will disappear. But if it happens in a combat situation, then he will remain online as long as enemies are close enough to look at him.

The buff needs to be set around 1 minute each time anything offensive occurs to the character, even if the player has disconnected. This is to make sure the character is still there, even if the player panics and tries to cheat his way out of death.

It's important that it's a long timer on it. 10 seconds just won't do if your enemy uses auto-run through thick forrest and you're chasing him on a horse. I'd say at least 1 minute, just make sure that only hostile players are giving the buff.

Pros: Solid system, Very easy to implement, server side = no cheating possible. The game prevents you from accidently logging of in a bad location which could result in your death.

Cons: Connection issues in combat situations leads to death.

This is a much better solution than to just add specific timers for every thinkable scenario where the player needs to stay online. That kind of system is doomed to be exploited for several years until it works kind of good but causes a lot of issues. Please, choose to solve this problem with one good solution instead of several crappy ones.

sunleader
Zealous Believer

Post by sunleader » 30 May 2017, 12:39

Well not 100% true ^^
The Server had a max time of 2 minutes.
So if you were disonnected for 2 minutes even in combat you were logged out :)

But such long timers aint really needed here.
In Tibia Combat was Dice throws.
You had only little effect on the standard combat.

So 10 seconds would have not worked because the guy could just set defense and log off.
In games like LiF however you just stand there defenseless. Which makes you an easy and fast kill.
Pls dont kill this Game by making it an Empty and Dead PvP Arena. The niche of players is so incredible small that it hardly supports one such game. And we already got 10 or so on the Market....

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 30 May 2017, 15:16

I'm happy with bumping those times up another 30 seconds then. It has to be somewhat reasonable for those switching characters and such.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 31 May 2017, 03:50

Some log-off time delay would be good. Im not a PvP player and the present version is actually in favor for a peace loving guy like myself; However, the Alt+f4 it's not fair and too tempting to use.
A simple, similar to "homecoming" delay procedure would be sufficient to solve the problem.

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 01 Jun 2017, 06:00

Sharana wrote:There is currently about 20 seconds delay between pressing disconnect and your character actually disappearing.

Love to see some proof of this, played the latest wave and combat-logging is still an issue. The only time I could see something like this happening would be on a horribly laggy MMO server and that is just a side-effect of greater issues

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 01 Jun 2017, 12:06

Hallegra wrote:
Sharana wrote:There is currently about 20 seconds delay between pressing disconnect and your character actually disappearing.

Love to see some proof of this, played the latest wave and combat-logging is still an issue. The only time I could see something like this happening would be on a horribly laggy MMO server and that is just a side-effect of greater issues

When I was riding with guildmates that crash I could hear when they crash (TS), but their ingame character was ingame almost till the point when they were selecting the Arabella server already on the newly started game.

But as I said in LiF 20 seconds or so are definitely not enough to fight the combat loggers.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas