Current state of the game

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Manron

Re: Current state of the game

Post by Manron » 05 Jan 2018, 16:59

I cant help it, but i seriously believe you are all mixing up PvP with GvG.

Open world PvP is very much doable. There are no issue whatsoever to ride around with 10 ppl and kill some peasants that are unaware.
Even like 20 vs 20 in the open world is pretty ok. And dont tell me it never happens. It happens all the time.

Open world large scale GvG (as in 100 vs 100) is too much for the servers to handle and will never be a smooth experience, so get that off your mind.

I think Bobik made it very clear, large scale open world GvG is never going to work, and the devs are actively working on measures to prevent it from happening. It's not something that 'slipped through' or is 'bugged' or whatever, it's intended.

This discussion is futile.

Monco

Post by Monco » 05 Jan 2018, 17:06

Manron wrote:I cant help it, but i seriously believe you are all mixing up PvP with GvG.

Open world PvP is very much doable. There are no issue whatsoever to ride around with 10 ppl and kill some peasants that are unaware.
Even like 20 vs 20 in the open world is pretty ok. And dont tell me it never happens. It happens all the time.

Open world large scale GvG (as in 100 vs 100) is too much for the servers to handle and will never be a smooth experience, so get that off your mind.

I think Bobik made it very clear, large scale open world GvG is never going to work, and the devs are actively working on measures to prevent it from happening. It's not something that 'slipped through' or is 'bugged' or whatever, it's intended.

This discussion is futile.

Well actually you're right i forgot to mention that servers can't handle big world PvP, but as for now small scale world PvP is pretty much dead too, we used to roam around with 10 people back then when boosting was possible but now there's no point in doing that. Why should we waste 5 hours walking around the map when the only thing we can hope to find is maybe 2 miners?

Manron

Post by Manron » 05 Jan 2018, 17:28

Akimangelini wrote:Why should we waste 5 hours walking around the map when the only thing we can hope to find is maybe 2 miners?

Because you can. This is still a sandboxish game, with limitations. If you want to ride around for 5h to kill two miners, you are free to do so!

I would not consider it fun, but i'm more of a gatherer/crafter, so what do i know...

I'm enjoying the game very much actually, even while i get ganked a couple of times each day.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 05 Jan 2018, 17:42

Manron wrote:
Akimangelini wrote:Why should we waste 5 hours walking around the map when the only thing we can hope to find is maybe 2 miners?

Because you can. This is still a sandboxish game, with limitations. If you want to ride around for 5h to kill two miners, you are free to do so!

I would not consider it fun, but i'm more of a gatherer/crafter, so what do i know...

I'm enjoying the game very much actually, even while i get ganked a couple of times each day.

Then it is not a sandbox game.

Let me explain it in a way that a gatherer/crafter can understand.
So if I want to mine iron ore, but I cant because someone has put a bark box in the tunnel keeping me from going by. BUT I cant go around it because of some magic barrier keeping me from digging around it, because that bark box extends invisibly 6 tiles in all directions. BUT I can only destroy that bark box 1 hour a week, and during that hour the server usually crashes for 58minutes of it. And the other 2 minutes it takes JUST walking there through the lag.

Great sandbox huh?
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Killa162

Post by Killa162 » 05 Jan 2018, 18:57

Sandbox game with free PvP. LUL http://lifeisfeudal.com/game-info (Source for quotes)
"Free PvP and full loot, sieges and raids, complex crafting and an unforgiven no-target, physics-based combat system are just some of features that add to the testing nature of Life is Feudal."

Such fun PVP, 1 hour a week with NO future of more days or longer hours for JH since NA server is "PvE" via bobik during AMA.

"The goal was to design an open, virtual world, with its own set of rules and mechanics, giving players the opportunity to do whatever their imagination desires within it."

Yet they limit the ways to PvP from what was in YO for YEARS without a single change to it. Pretty much tell you when and how your going to PvP under their rules. That's neither open or with player set rules or mechanics because those rules and mechanics were removed. Because our imagination is obviously not free to do what we will in this game for being a "sandbox".

Manron

Post by Manron » 05 Jan 2018, 19:24

Hodo wrote:
Manron wrote:

Then it is not a sandbox game.

[...]

Great sandbox huh?

Where do i say this is a sandbox game?

I'd prefer if you would answer by making fun of obvious spelling and grammar errors while not even touching the topic.

WestArcher

Post by WestArcher » 06 Jan 2018, 00:32

As I've said before in my opinion the ONLY way to save open world pvp is to greatly expand the PVE content.

Seems kind of contradictory, but in order for ganks and counterganks to happen people need to be walking around and having fun doing things outside so things like forestry, mining, farming, etc ,etc should all be done AWAY from your town and should be done in a meaningful way, but you also have to find a way to make these activities fun in some way. Even PVE players enjoy violence and I'm sure that natives soon™ will fill that need for them as well as getting them out of their base

Even consider something simple like a quality penalty for resources gathered close to a town claim, at this point I'll take anything to get people outside and roaming around. I don't think there's anything wrong with stockpiling and crafting in town though.

and on the flip side of things, Realm Claims need to be made less limiting to the invader, Resources should remain *safe* but we need a solution to get over minor barriers, I'd be ok with a *grey zone* close to the town claim but people need to get over minor barriers. resources should be *safe* outside of JH so your shit doesn't get offlined but the players themselves and their gear should not be safe.
also how many people have lost horses because they crashed while on someone else's realm?

One more thing: Slow down the gates so they take awhile to open :D

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 06 Jan 2018, 00:35

Manron wrote:Then it is not a sandbox game.

[...]

Great sandbox huh?

Where do i say this is a sandbox game?

I'd prefer if you would answer by making fun of obvious spelling and grammar errors while not even touching the topic.[/quote]

You said "Sandboxish" and where did I make fun of your posts spelling or grammar errors? I dont even understand your reply. Are you trying to be the next Dobrt?

Dobrt1
Banned

Post by Dobrt1 » 06 Jan 2018, 02:46

Hodo wrote:
Are you trying to be the next Dobrt?

If he was, he would be right and a whole lot more intelligent than you.

Zenjamin
True Believer

Post by Zenjamin » 06 Jan 2018, 03:43

Even expanding PvE doesn't fix the problem though.

The problem as I see it is being unable to execute strategic denial or spoiling attacks. Some people say that it's easy to run around finding farmers/etc - but that's not the problem. The guilds that have unprotected farmers just running around are obviously just inexperienced at base design. Experienced guilds have multiple claims with everything on a safe town claim. They also have nothing to lose of value in realm claim in the case of JH, because those guilds were expecting JH raids.

However, those big guilds have no way of losing anything honestly. You say "just ride around all the time and look for unprotected groups" - but you can't have groups riding around all the time.

There is some negativity towards "ganking" PvE guys inside their base - but frankly, why is it ganking? If you have any kind of half way competent base design, you can easily protect yourselves against bark boxing. Even two or three archers in a good base design can hold off 4 or 5 times the amount of people. Bark Boxes or other jumping mechanics take a really long time to place down. With a decent base design, you can easily hold them off - like extremely easily.

All the "ganking" talk I see is almost 100% a result of poor base design, and people assuming a single line of stone walls or even palisades should just automatically save them from being raided. If you didn't want to be raided, design your base better. Most large guilds have NEVER been successfully barkbox raided yet IMO - mostly as a result of good base design and preparation. That is what should be encouraged - not just simply protecting PvE because you need to protect crafters and gatherers. Good base design should be rewarded - bad, lazy base design should be punished.

Bodil
Devoted Believer

Post by Bodil » 06 Jan 2018, 09:03

Dobrt1 wrote:
Hodo wrote:
Are you trying to be the next Dobrt?

If he was, he would be right and a whole lot more intelligent than you.

Time to get banned again eh?

IamHe

Post by IamHe » 06 Jan 2018, 17:12

people if you cant find pvp you are in wrong alliance - just join alliance that is at war with another big alliance (if your base located very far you may want to relocate but thats the only problem)

Monco

Post by Monco » 07 Jan 2018, 01:12

I still think that removing boosting was a bad idea and that it damaged badly World PvP and server population.
At the current state of the game all PVPers either login only for instanced battles (if they're in a large alliance) or for the JH which is so laggy that it's almost unplayable. It's sad because the game offered something to them every day which was the possibility to "raid" that is in fact promoted in their website.
http://lifeisfeudal.com/game-info
"Free PvP and full loot, sieges and RAIDS, complex crafting and an unforgiven no-target, physics-based combat system are just some of features that add to the testing nature of Life is Feudal."
The game is completely lacking in terms of PvP which was also confirmed by Bobik in the recent AMA, but before they removed boosting at least we had "raids" which was some PvP content always available for everyone, and most people were fine with that and it kept them playing the game each and every day.

DramaQueen
Alpha Tester

Post by DramaQueen » 07 Jan 2018, 13:15

Few words about JH. Yesterday I was once again in the lands of Askaniers.

Ping - 400+
Lags.

I will not say much, just look at the mechanics of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hOlN4Pzu-s&t=260s
Developers can always say this is a beta version!
Now it's fashionable, damn marketing. The game can be in beta stage indefinitely

Yesterday I canceled the subscription.
When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

SonofKitt
Zealous Believer

Post by SonofKitt » 07 Jan 2018, 14:09

Devs need to figure out how to fix the economy so that people actually trade resources in bulk. I.e. you cant get every resource 100q in one tile. More trade= more people moving arround = more small scale pvp combat = more reasons to play for everyone. Just like in YO, once everyone gets 100q resources and big walls, people start getting bored and leave.

Jakkus07
Beta Tester

Post by Jakkus07 » 07 Jan 2018, 14:27

SonofKitt wrote:Devs need to figure out how to fix the economy so that people actually trade resources in bulk. I.e. you cant get every resource 100q in one tile. More trade= more people moving arround = more small scale pvp combat = more reasons to play for everyone. Just like in YO, once everyone gets 100q resources and big walls, people start getting bored and leave.

I hope this will change or i dont see too bright future for this game.

This game right now is 70% or even 80% PVE without too many features and 20% PVP "events". Without actual world economy. Money is also kinda pointless.
I love the battles, glory and loot.
Yet I'm not the wolf.
I love the craft, trade and gold.
Yet I'm not the sheep.
What am I then you ask?
I'm The Jackal...

Monco

Post by Monco » 07 Jan 2018, 23:23

Yea it seems like at this moment the only real content is the building phase.
It's so weird that they discouraged non JH raiding with the removal of boosting over badly placed walls, because as for now the game doesn't have any PvP content except for IBs which are heavily discouraged by the high cost aswell as Bobik said.

Zenjamin
True Believer

Post by Zenjamin » 08 Jan 2018, 05:26

Akimangelini wrote:Yea it seems like at this moment the only real content is the building phase.
It's so weird that they discouraged non JH raiding with the removal of boosting over badly placed walls, because as for now the game doesn't have any PvP content except for IBs which are heavily discouraged by the high cost aswell as Bobik said.

All the removal of boosting has done is prevent less experienced guilds from knowing how to secure their base properly.

Just this last JH, I know one guild lost 29 buildings they had on realm claim, because it only required a very basic boost to get over their walls (one or two logs I believe). Another guild lost about 8 to 10 buildings because of the same reason.

Boosting might be a pain in the ass for PvE guys, but it damn sure shows you where your defensive weaknesses are. It allows you to fix them before JH. Right now, why would a guild come back after losing 29 buildings (including many expensive ones), or a smaller guild losing 8 to 10 expensive buildings (requiring regional materials for example)? THAT is rage quit inducing, and honestly could have been prevented if they'd known in advance where their weak spots are.

Removing boosting and bark boxing has just simply allowed guilds to be lulled into a false sense of security - and they get wiped in JH, or down the track, they get rolled in sieges because their town claim design is poor too.

This is why bark boxing is so important - it teaches people how to build, how to defend, well before they're in a position to actually lose something of real value.

Jakkus07
Beta Tester

Post by Jakkus07 » 08 Jan 2018, 13:40

Zenjamin wrote:
Akimangelini wrote:Yea it seems like at this moment the only real content is the building phase.

All the removal of boosting has done is prevent less experienced guilds from knowing how to secure their base properly.

Just this last JH, I know one guild lost 29 buildings they had on realm claim, because it only required a very basic boost to get over their walls (one or two logs I believe). Another guild lost about 8 to 10 buildings because of the same reason.

Boosting might be a pain in the ass for PvE guys, but it damn sure shows you where your defensive weaknesses are. It allows you to fix them before JH. Right now, why would a guild come back after losing 29 buildings (including many expensive ones), or a smaller guild losing 8 to 10 expensive buildings (requiring regional materials for example)? THAT is rage quit inducing, and honestly could have been prevented if they'd known in advance where their weak spots are.

Removing boosting and bark boxing has just simply allowed guilds to be lulled into a false sense of security - and they get wiped in JH, or down the track, they get rolled in sieges because their town claim design is poor too.

This is why bark boxing is so important - it teaches people how to build, how to defend, well before they're in a position to actually lose something of real value.

Being killed and perhaps loosing a base because of slapping wall on flat surface - having less experience - is kinda part of game. Massive
HARDCORE sandbox MMO. Its in the title. Im kinda sorry to say it people should have failed - so they could learn from experience and then construct better walls.

Instead other people got handicap? WHAT?
I love the battles, glory and loot.
Yet I'm not the wolf.
I love the craft, trade and gold.
Yet I'm not the sheep.
What am I then you ask?
I'm The Jackal...

Baratta

Post by Baratta » 08 Jan 2018, 14:20

Well it seems the entire game is busted in all sorts of areas. When it takes a month to build a castle and it can be breached with a few logs is a stupid mechanic.
It literally takes 2 seconds to perform a dark ritual and destroy a building or object that is also broken. Not being able to transfer from one tile to another without massive issues another problem. So much potential but still so broken as a game.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 08 Jan 2018, 15:28

Baratta wrote:Well it seems the entire game is busted in all sorts of areas. When it takes a month to build a castle and it can be breached with a few logs is a stupid mechanic.
It literally takes 2 seconds to perform a dark ritual and destroy a building or object that is also broken. Not being able to transfer from one tile to another without massive issues another problem. So much potential but still so broken as a game.

If you are calling 1 stone wall layer on unprepaired ground with no other defenses a castle. Then I am sorry, you dont know what a castle is.

What you have is a very simple keep, or fort, not even a real mot and bailey. As they have a MOAT around the outside of the walls to protect them.

I have watched people try and setup some pretty stupid things and try and pass them off as a castle. But people dont think, even modern FOBs are layered defenses with different perimeters and fallback points inside the main walls.

It takes weeks if not months to build a good "castle". Hell my guild has been working on our defenses every day since day 1. And we STILL arent done, not by a day in sight. Probably wont be done for at least 6 months at least. And we have well over a 100 people.

I posted this before learn how to build better, study history.
Look at that castle from wales, look at the layers on layers of defense.
There are 5 layers of defense for that castle. And it starts with the outer wall, then you have the narrow bridge passage to the second wall, then the inner court yard, then the keep itself. All are defensive structures and levels of defense. A well built castle in game should look very close to this.

Image Even this small drawing of a simple castle setup for a small village. Note how even the courtyard is segmented by a small wooden palisade. So if you do get over one side of the wall you are trapped IN the courtyard which is covered by the keep on one side and a tower on the other.

Monco

Post by Monco » 09 Jan 2018, 15:45

Zenjamin wrote:

Boosting might be a pain in the ass for PvE guys, but it damn sure shows you where your defensive weaknesses are. It allows you to fix them before JH.

This.

Monco

Post by Monco » 10 Jan 2018, 21:50

DramaQueen wrote:Few words about JH. Yesterday I was once again in the lands of Askaniers.

Ping - 400+
Lags.

I will not say much, just look at the mechanics of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hOlN4Pzu-s&t=260s
Developers can always say this is a beta version!
Now it's fashionable, damn marketing. The game can be in beta stage indefinitely

Yesterday I canceled the subscription.

That's why i'm convinced that at the current state of the game the weekly JH is not enough for us PvPers to be able to "raid". It's too damn laggy and it makes every action very difficult.
A solution could either be more JHs or bring boosting back in "normal" days so we can actually fight without massive lags.
We still have IBs but their cost is very high and only big guilds are able to attend them, thus making small scale PvP pretty much dead.

Dtvh

Post by Dtvh » 10 Jan 2018, 22:09

Bugging over walls with hack mechanincs suck, but to prevent that every game mechanic need's to work 100%. Siege must work, you should be able to break down walls and destroy items whenever you want, this would make people band together and create so called "life is feudal" Is it not the goal of developers?? I'm confused now.

Monco

Post by Monco » 11 Jan 2018, 00:06

Dtvh wrote:Bugging over walls with hack mechanincs suck, but to prevent that every game mechanic need's to work 100%. Siege must work, you should be able to break down walls and destroy items whenever you want, this would make people band together and create so called "life is feudal" Is it not the goal of developers?? I'm confused now.

I wouldn't consider them "hack mechanics" people used to climb over walls in feudal times, and we've being doing this in the game since the early days of YO.
We had to use bark boxes or tables just because we didn't have any ladders or "better looking" objects, but the concept is the same, I think people should be allowed to climb over enemy walls anytime, as some people suggested the best thing would be a ladder that can be pushed by the defenders.

Dtvh

Post by Dtvh » 11 Jan 2018, 14:54

Akimangelini wrote:
Dtvh wrote:Bugging over walls with hack mechanincs suck, but to prevent that every game mechanic need's to work 100%. Siege must work, you should be able to break down walls and destroy items whenever you want, this would make people band together and create so called "life is feudal" Is it not the goal of developers?? I'm confused now.

I wouldn't consider them "hack mechanics" people used to climb over walls in feudal times, and we've being doing this in the game since the early days of YO.
We had to use bark boxes or tables just because we didn't have any ladders or "better looking" objects, but the concept is the same, I think people should be allowed to climb over enemy walls anytime, as some people suggested the best thing would be a ladder that can be pushed by the defenders.

Yea, they climbed, with siege ladders and ropes not with super strong bark engineered ancient wonders.
Of course you did this early in YO, there's no other mechanic, but in mmo it's not acceptable, it kills any realism this game attempts.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 11 Jan 2018, 15:29

Dtvh wrote:it kills any realism this game attempts.

Like magically protected towns and indestructible drying racks?
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

Artemisriv
Zealous Believer

Post by Artemisriv » 11 Jan 2018, 15:30

Maybe you know it, the feeling of waiting for that game evening where all your expectations get real! All you ever wanted in this game gets real and the developers will finally deliver on what they promised for years. It can’t be anything else, this is it! Real-life is becoming a distant memory as you embark more and more into the glorious lands of Avalon.

How much I want that feeling, more and more I don’t have it anymore, the game is not making me enthusiastic as before, where I would walk around always on edge inside the base for raiders who in a sneak minute could come over the walls and fight you, now it’s just pointless afk- ing inside base or grind your way to who- knows what..

In my opinion when removing the PVP aspect/options from the game that moment the game was dead. What’s the point in building mighty castles and bases when u can’t raid/sack those.. yes its nice for the new players who like their stuff protected and such but seriously why go down this Blizzard path. Blizzard tried to make World of Warcraft more casual to appeal to a wider audience, and look what is has brought, finally after 5 expansions they decided to go back to the old feeling cuz they were losing the game.

Yes I know PVP is still in the game, instanced battles and such and when they work it will be nice, but it will not fill the gap. At least the devs should give us the options during JH back to sack stuff make the game fun again. I have seen our once and proud guild go into Hibernation often during Lif:Yo, but they always came back because the game is absolutely a Diamond. I am now seeing people from the same guild (and I am one of them) lose interest in this great game because of bad developer decisions. And it hurts..

I sincerely hope the devs hear the plea of the guilds and notice the way we are going now is the way down, this way the Diamond will be cut into crap and not cut into a truelly precious gem..

The thing is, though… it’s not all bad. It can’t be. It isn’t. Life in games isn’t. Where there’s life, there’s hope, heroism, grace, and love. Where there’s people, there’s life. I hope that’s not what we are walking away from. As some friends and foes said before; #MAKELIFGREATAGAIN

Monco

Post by Monco » 11 Jan 2018, 16:46

Dtvh wrote:
Akimangelini wrote:

Yea, they climbed, with siege ladders and ropes not with super strong bark engineered ancient wonders.
Of course you did this early in YO, there's no other mechanic, but in mmo it's not acceptable, it kills any realism this game attempts.

The thing is that they removed "Bark Box boosting" and "Jumping over people / horses Boosting" without having something to replace it ready yet.
If you ask ANY PvPer i'm sure that all of them would like to have boosting back. They removed something that gave some good PvP Content and now the PvP aspect of the game is really lacking something, even Bobik said that.
Speaking about realism yea it would be great to have proper ladders instead of using bark boxes or tables, but that was not the problem, because with the boosting removal you can see a lot of indestructible Drying Frames walls. And the sad thing is that without being able to jump over it except in JH, a drying frame is as much worth as a castle wall.

Agathius

Post by Agathius » 12 Jan 2018, 19:39

Real pity, how this was almost completely ignored. Real fruitful discussions here and real good to see ppl like that, but we failed, seems like
πόλεμος πάντων μὲν πατήρ ἐστι, πάντων δὲ βασιλεύς

Return to General Discussion