Dears Devs, why is it so dark?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

EricSSH
Devoted Believer

Dears Devs, why is it so dark?

Post by EricSSH » 18 Apr 2017, 04:22

Who thought it was a good idea to make it so dark to make it unplayable?

Burne109
Zealous Believer

Re: Dears Devs, why is it so dark?

Post by Burne109 » 18 Apr 2017, 07:18

wait til you get into the mmo... and there isn't a brightness/gamma setting...

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 18 Apr 2017, 09:01

EricSSH wrote:Who thought it was a good idea to make it so dark to make it unplayable?

make a torch !

https://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Torch
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Halvdal

Post by Halvdal » 18 Apr 2017, 13:24

Yes, make a torch you you can see even less. :(

JTCrowder1
Beta Tester

Post by JTCrowder1 » 18 Apr 2017, 14:16

Halvdal wrote:Yes, make a torch you you can see even less. :(

This is true. Lighting a torch screws your vision. You won't see anything with a torch lit. Your absolute immediate surroundings, then absolutely nothing.

A torch is nothing but a target.

Const
Zealous Believer

Post by Const » 18 Apr 2017, 16:53

Reality is even worse. Devs just try to make the game similar.

Burne109
Zealous Believer

Post by Burne109 » 18 Apr 2017, 18:27

In reality, i hack my body's files so i can see at night.(joke)

(thats what people were doing in the MMO, some kind of client side hacking to make night time look like day time)

Hopefully they put in some crc checks or something to look for that.

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 18 Apr 2017, 18:47

they'll set up an anti cheat engine and ban people that change their brightness by night...not a solution for me but still something
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Losthorizon350
Beta Tester

Post by Losthorizon350 » 19 Apr 2017, 06:35

EricSSH wrote:Who thought it was a good idea to make it so dark to make it unplayable?

Realism and stuff. there were no flashlights back then. make a torch and the problem will be solved. :)

Styxwash
Zealous Believer

Post by Styxwash » 19 Apr 2017, 06:56

The level of darkness is unrealistic.

Under a fairly open sky, without a huge amount of clouds, you would usually be able to see alot further when your eyes adjust.

In the MMO, it just feels like you are in the middle of a deep dark forest all the time, during night.

I'm all for a substantial day/night cycle and lowered visibility during night, but atm. it's just too much and ruins all gameplay.

Nobody wants to make a night time ambush if you need torches to just find your way inside the enemies territory.

I usually use darker nights mods for Skyrim and Fallout games, so I am not biased on the subject.

Rusery
True Believer

Post by Rusery » 24 Apr 2017, 19:25

Pretty dark out in the woods. Though the moon in this game is massively close and bright-- yet gives off no visible light very unlike the sun.

How it was before the darkness update was alright. It should be dark, but yeah this is a video game after all. If you want it that dark, start adding in more survivability aspects, otherwise it makes little sense as it is now other than a deterrent to play the game.

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 24 Apr 2017, 23:13

I mean, they didn't call it the light ages.

Nothing_Personal
Zealous Believer

Post by Nothing_Personal » 24 Apr 2017, 23:47

Can't see more than ten feet with a torch but I can see a tanning tub all the way across the map

Czanrei

Post by Czanrei » 25 Apr 2017, 13:57

I think it's hilarious hearing people complain about how dark the ingame world is.

They obviously have never been in a part of the world where there is zero ambient light from artificial sources like street lights or cellphones.

I hope the devs keep the darkness as it is and not give in to the whining.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 25 Apr 2017, 19:11

I have spent plenty of time out where there are no lights as an active hiker and backpacker, and I can say that the current night time darkness in LIF is correct in the woods, but not in the open when the moon in shining.

Out in a field with a decent moon overhead you should be able to make out shapes at least...

Here's the truth though - people are gonna find out ways to cheat and make it brighter. The more ridiculously dark the night is, the more this will occur...and the worst part is that the ones who cheat will be the raiders, and the people who are more casual will not hack the darkness and therefore will be at even more of a dissadvantage.

Just make it so you can see outlines of stuff and people won't be so inclined to cheat.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 25 Apr 2017, 19:42

Agree with Styx. Darktime in either MMO or YO is unrealistic, though a torch making areas outside its range is actually fairly accurate. The human eye can compensate for darkness fairly well, even when overcast (trust me on this, I live out in the country, in Oregon). You can still see various shades of grey/black for objects, and can tell when something moves when out in the open.

As for 'cheaters', attempting to enforce such a vaguely defined definition is pure Bull Shit. The simple reality is that you cannot define what is fair and not fair when taking into account all the various hardware, software and Bioware (human eyesight) in the gaming world.

Hell, half the time I have gamma adjusted for shitty light quality for (looking at you Eternal Crusades) other games and never bother to reset it when I play YO (or the MMO). Gamma is even different between my three screens. So unless Bitbox wants to supply me with new hardware (or Bioware for these old eyes), they should lighten up night time and not worry about it.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Suntuz
Zealous Believer

Post by Suntuz » 26 Apr 2017, 16:05

I have no issue with the lighting there are only 2 places in the world left that have a light rating of zero. People are used to living in cities or close to them. The residual light from large cities extends pretty dam far so there really are no good comparisons. I have spent some time in almost 0 light environments best you can hope for most the time is a different shade of black.

Return to General Discussion