Development News #21 - ‘Shoot it! Range combat revised’

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #21 - ‘Shoot it! Range combat revised’

Post by Arrakis » 14 Oct 2016, 14:38

Hey feudalists!

If you checked out the last dev blog, you’ll know we’re overhauling melee and ranged combat mechanics. In today’s development news, we’re looking at bows, crossbows and ranged combat!

Check out some of the changes we have in mind:

• Crossbows. Reload speed, accuracy and range will be increased for all Crossbows. Unlike other ranged weapons, crossbows will require significantly less strength and agility. Crossbow bolts will be possible to equip in a hip slot.
  • Bows. Most changes are planned for simple and short bows, in some situations they may be preferable over the longbow. Agility will also noticeably affect accuracy.
  • Throwing weapons. Throwing trajectories of javelins, throwing axes and throwing knives will be changed, slightly affecting the effective range. All throwing weapon damage will be increased.
  • Projectiles. Stacks of arrows and bolts will be limited in number.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this insight into some of what we’ve been up to!

- Thanks, the team!

KentEdvard
Alpha Tester

Re: Development News #21 - ‘Shoot it! Range combat revised’

Post by KentEdvard » 14 Oct 2016, 14:47

I like it, all though you might wanna change so that if a person carries a twohanded weapon, it takes both backslots, else we will see people running crossbow and broadaxe.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 14 Oct 2016, 15:39

I like it all as well. Is there an ETA on this? Perhaps we can get it added to a roadmap for YO & the MMO?
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Tomas

Post by Tomas » 14 Oct 2016, 16:22

Если в меня будет входить столько стрел как у человека на картинке(и я останусь жив), то я буду однозначно рад такому обновлению:D

TK300
True Believer

Post by TK300 » 17 Oct 2016, 17:49

The accuracy of ranged weapons is really a joke, they are far too unaccurate to be anywhere useful... also what about horse archery? at least the simple and short bow could be used on a horse..

Styxwash
Zealous Believer

Post by Styxwash » 23 Oct 2016, 20:13

TK300 wrote:The accuracy of ranged weapons is really a joke, they are far too unaccurate to be anywhere useful... also what about horse archery? at least the simple and short bow could be used on a horse..

Your funny. Did you even play this game?

Even average skilled fps gamers can quickly learn how to hit well with a longbow at short to moderate ranges and easily kite slower, heavier armored enemies who don't carry a ranged weapon.

Ranged weapons should be more of a support/defensive weapon. I've even meet skilled playerse who often disregard using a bow, because it's so unbalanced and easily ruins any chance of melee battle happening.

It's like everyone has the skills of Lars Andersen as it is, but we can even carry 50 arrows, do those insane things with a heavy warbow, that punches through plate and still wear medium chainmail without barely being slowed down.

Toren
True Believer

Post by Toren » 28 Oct 2016, 01:06

TK300 wrote:The accuracy of ranged weapons is really a joke, they are far too unaccurate to be anywhere useful... also what about horse archery? at least the simple and short bow could be used on a horse..

I find this pretty funny too. The throwing weapons like the javelins and axes are laser accurate already. Bows are incredibly accurate too, and like Styx said, they are already pretty OP in the hands of your average fps player.

What I don't get is why they decided crossbows need an accuracy buff. I get the range thing, as the arc is pretty silly, but I've been dead accurate where I've been shooting at that max arc range. What usually gets me is the distance, not the line up of the shot. Depending on how big the reload speed buff is too, it could just polarize ranged fighters into using crossbows as hit and run weapons rather than bows. The real solution isn't to buff the crossbows too much (although they do need the range buff), its to get rid of the silly hit and run play style thats been around since DX9.

And buffing throwing weapon damage seems a bit backwards too. The throwing weapons already do very well, and the only way a buff makes sense is if that range and flying speed is halved for javs, knives and axes. And naphtha pots are already capable of 1 shotting people wearing metal armors.

Also like Styx said, ranged should be support/defense. Ranged weapons are already incredibly viable in 1v1 skirmishes, and only get stronger in larger fights. Same thing goes for cavalry, which should be a support role (and is right now for the most part). Cavalry and ranged should need the backing of a strong infantry to win fights. This is coming from someone who plays lancer mostly, and knows that cavalry needs a lot of changes too, both buffs and nerfs. Its not that hard to 1v6 a bunch of geared people that don't carry polearms because you can continuously just heal and restam horses after backing off. I was kinda hoping that there was going to be a dev news on cavalry changes instead of the NPC stuff.

Return to Development News