Development News #9 - New Dangers Lurking in the Wild!

What are we currently working on.

Oldmanlif

Re: Development News #9 - New Dangers Lurking in the Wild!

Post by Oldmanlif » 24 Jul 2016, 00:09

Arrakis09 wrote:Actually, that is correct. We won't be increasing player cap for LiF:YO.

Ok, so not increasing the players, but what of the 64-bit servers and clients discussed in April? Is that cancelled or delayed? I am just trying to plan server stuff around it. I really don't care what the answer is, but any answer would help people plan.

Macpharlan

Post by Macpharlan » 25 Aug 2016, 02:15

absolutely need NPCs, it will add a level of danger in the game when there is not a war going on or bandits lerking around

Tankoua
Zealous Believer

Post by Tankoua » 05 Mar 2017, 11:55

Arrakis wrote:
Tankoua wrote:Personally, I am absolutely not for NPCs , I prefer the game to be completely run by players...

These are not NPCs in the meaning you are thinking about. They are - or rather they will be - a part of PvE environment, enemies that players will encounter and fight. No small part of the community wishes for richer PvE experience, and here it comes, in the form of those very unfriendly, intimidating natives. ;)

I still think that NPCs should only be secondary and you should work on bug fixes, lag and other features (trolley, boat, etc.)

TK300
True Believer

Post by TK300 » 05 Mar 2017, 12:27

I would like to have NPC's, indian tribes, but the concept arts look really weird i think. The whole game is kept quite realistic, no magic, no dragons or other fantasy creatures and i like it that way, but those NPC concepts really dont fit, they should look more realistc, more human like instead of demon like or whatever.
Why not make some modified player models as NPC's, give them some special cloth, weapons (that we players also can use) so we could loot the NPC's.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 05 Mar 2017, 12:28

Tankoua wrote:I still think that NPCs should only be secondary and you should work on bug fixes, lag and other features (trolley, boat, etc.)

I do not see where we have given any impression that it isn't and that we are not working on those fixes. We imagine that players would rather see what our art team has been working on, rather than screenshots of thousands of lines of codes that devs are consumed by ;)

Tankoua
Zealous Believer

Post by Tankoua » 05 Mar 2017, 13:22

I love this game, so I try to make it known to other french.
I am editor on the website JOL (http://forums.jeuxonline.info/forumdisplay.php?f=1341) and the latest news often deal with NPCs. So I go up some points of view of french player who is worried.
Perhaps it would be better to talk about something else in the next news, more concrete or concept art on horse cart or boats or something else.

PS : sorry for my poor english ;)

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 05 Mar 2017, 14:12

As Arrakis points out....

Any development team has various "groups" within it, and they each have their role, their area of experience.

The coders code
The art team makes models and landscapes and items
etc

So, they are showing us art updates right now because the updates about coding are not easily represented...unless you want a bunch of technical details and images of code lines as Arrakis pointed out.

I am sure they are working on server stability, etc...

Hopefully they are able to make some improvements on that front.

Maurizio
Alpha Tester

Post by Maurizio » 05 Mar 2017, 17:00

Tankoua wrote:Personally, I am absolutely not for NPCs , I prefer the game to be completely run by players (remember , life is feudal and the Middle Ages , there was no NPC ... ) . Development should work on more important things, like the stability of servers , adding boat, develop guilds ( guilds in grade / relationship between guilds, ...), the drawn wagons by horses, etc.

Personnellement, je ne suis absolument pas pour les PNJ, je préfère que le jeu soit entièrement géré par les joueurs (rappelez vous, la vie est feodal et au moyen age, il n'y avait pas de PNJ...). Le développement devrait travailler sur des choses plus importantes, comme la stabilités des serveurs, l'ajout de bateau, développer les guildes (grade dans les guildes / relation entre guildes, ...), les chariots tirés par les cheveaux, etc.

Sorry for being so open when i say this... with your comment you either have not played many games or you want to see a dead game in a matter of a year. Player ran content is great but there is a need for gameplay as well. The player made content only lasts for so long and at times becomes bad where many dont even want to be apart. The game needs NPC's with their own AI and ambitions. Some things like random monthly spawns of some type of unique mob to hunt down for some loot of some sort, these end up being items that help maintain a good economy.

Long story short a good mix between player made content and game created content is a MUST! Great work by the dev team to see and acknowledge this. I have not been very vocal yet but i will be starting as i would like to see LIF go a long way.

Tankoua
Zealous Believer

Post by Tankoua » 05 Mar 2017, 18:16

Elindor wrote:As Arrakis points out....

Any development team has various "groups" within it, and they each have their role, their area of experience.

The coders code
The art team makes models and landscapes and items
etc

So, they are showing us art updates right now because the updates about coding are not easily represented...unless you want a bunch of technical details and images of code lines as Arrakis pointed out.

I am sure they are working on server stability, etc...

Hopefully they are able to make some improvements on that front.

Perhaps he should make a news showing the development team and the work of everyone?

Return to Development News