Forestry - Balance

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Dragonis4
Zealous Believer

Forestry - Balance

Post by Dragonis4 » 24 Jul 2017, 17:57

Current forestry progression is very unbalanced

1) 0-30, you are useless, not able to contribute in any way to your guild until you grind to level 30 making the process feel like waste of time

2) one of first trees you unlock for planting, pine, is best softwood tree? All future unlocks for softwood trees are obsolete

3) Juniper is level 90 which makes no sense

Level 0
Inspect Trees
Gather Sprouts
Plant Juniper sprouts (S 90)
Plant Hazel sprouts (H 90)

Level 30
Plant Spruce sprouts (S 200)
Plant Birch sprouts (H 320)

Level 60
Plant Aspen sprouts (H 400)
Plant Pine sprouts (S 500)
Plant Maple sprouts (H 500)

Level 90
Plant Elm sprouts (H 800)
Plant Oak sprouts (H 1200)

These changes should give at least something to plant for leveling to 30 and not feel completely useless, and will give some love to trees that are not pines.

In my opinion there is still much to be done as person with level 90 will always plant only pines and oaks making all the other trees obsolete. Playing with numbers on different trees (more sticks, faster growing, more bark etc.) can make that happen but that is not as important. But at least addressing progression will make world of a difference and should be easy to implement.

What do you guys think?

Dragonis4
Zealous Believer

Re: Forestry - Balance

Post by Dragonis4 » 25 Jul 2017, 18:23

i love the engagement on this forum

MERLANCE
Beta Tester

Post by MERLANCE » 26 Jul 2017, 03:56

I think for whatever reason people mostly discuss on discord. Or so I've heard.

As for planting, being able to plant quality 1-32 junipier is just awful, its what, one billet from one of those? They are completely worthless below quality 66, and even then... still terrible.

Davis105
True Believer

Post by Davis105 » 26 Jul 2017, 17:11

+1. I don't know a whole bunch about this specific skill tree, just the basics. But the things you've listed don't make sense to me either so I agree this needs to be changed.

Dragonis4
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragonis4 » 27 Jul 2017, 16:00

Yes there is quite a lot of people talking on discord. Great for brainstorming but not so good for polishing ideas, all topics are merged, topics are all over the place and after few hours there is no good way to retrace posted idea on certain subjects. So i think taking on forum is still important.

True junipier is shit but at least it's something to plant while you are level 0-30. better have some branches from them and a billet than contributing absolutely nothing while grinding forestry.

I dont get why junipier is level 90 right now, at that point i will never plant it at all that's for sure, maybe as a decoration but thats about it.

We should start probably also other topics on other professions, there is a lot of balancing issues that could be easily fixed just buy adjusting numbers

Vtl.autostate
Devoted Believer

Post by Vtl.autostate » 15 Aug 2017, 07:58

I think your suggestion for improvement is great.
I love forestry and I have it maxed on YO server. My concern is that its useless under 30 and its dependent on farming. For 100 apple trees you need 100 farming and 100 forestry. Forest tree quality above 68 is also pretty much a waste... waste of time if you spend hours looking for a perfect tree with 100 quality.
my suggestion:

- move apple trees to forestry 30 and mulberry to 60 - quality will be shht but at least its something to start from
- separate forestry from farming as much as possible, I want to play as hunter/forester not a fermer :sorry:

- uproot trunks, collecting bark, collecting branches... how is that not forestry?

- a way to improve already grown up trees will be great

Dragonis4
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragonis4 » 22 Aug 2017, 20:46

I like that ideas, farming mixed with forestry is not working, especially that what you really what to mix it with is carpentry and because that is totally different branch of skills it's close to impossible

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 23 Aug 2017, 23:48

agree, farming and forestry is not the best idea.
if anything, Forestry should be totally independent or based of Artisan, that's where you cut trees to start with.
Artisan however, is already overloaded with option.

Hunting is the least developed brunch, would be nice to add some choices here.

Looking at the Crafting Skill Tree, one can guess why Devs. place Forestry here. it kind of make sense that way considering the Forester should put some amount of time to get the skill

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 24 Aug 2017, 01:01

It's more logic the forestry should be after nature's lore on a second branch.

Nature's lore 30 then open choice with 2 options : forestry and farming

But i understand the actual design is made to prevent that a single player can be a forester 100 and a carpenter 100 at the same time, to be totally self sufficient in wood works with 400 skillcap and not being dependent of an other player's job.

For me the design is fine nut i like the level 0 proposal of the first post.

Return to Feedback Section