Game-breaking exploit (see all players/animals on map)

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

m8gguz
Zealous Believer

Re: Game-breaking exploit (see all players/animals on map)

Post by m8gguz » 19 Feb 2017, 00:09

Sure it is...lets assume the mmo open beta is starting:

Everybody is logging in and is trying to run to their preferred area. With this kind of bug/exploit you easily could avoid all of the wolves, bears and maraudering enemies. You are even able to see all the beginning settlements if your setting the render distance for objects to over 100000. Other people are not able to hide in the woods anymore – so why not deleting all the forest and spawn logs on the ground :lol:

At the same time you could tame/kill any kind of animals without any time consuming effort other people have. You are able to skill taming really fast and so your even faster in taming horses – and we all know how early kav is on open field.

Minzi1990
Zealous Believer

Post by Minzi1990 » 19 Feb 2017, 06:01

Hiding behind a tree and planing an ambush in the night is in my opinion one of the best pvp things in lif.
But if you dont have any trees or something to hide you cant do anything like an ambush.
I dont know but that exploit leads to losing my interest in pvp.

Grimmblut
Zealous Believer

Post by Grimmblut » 19 Feb 2017, 06:17

@BlackjackBarret

As I've written in the starting post, one way to fix this issue is to ensure that player models are not rendered at a distance that is further away than the distance at which trees are rendered. That would ensure that players with low performance computers can still play the game.

Azzerhoden wrote:This isn't game breaking.

Your signature says you're an RP player. Now, while I think that roleplaying is an interesting part of LIF, I have never - never ever - met a roleplayer in LIF that was, in regard to pvp, fit to hold a candle to someone that I consider a serious pvp player. Several pvp players that I know have posted in this thread and expressed their overwhelming concern. You're the only one here who thinks that it's not game-breaking.

This exploit is nothing else but a wall hack. I've never heard of a competitive online game were a wall hack wasn't considered to be a major problem.

A group tries to bait an opposing group to attack them so that a group of cavalry men can ambush them. It doesn't work, because the opposing group can see the cavalry hiding in the forest.

Five players try to sneak through a forest with their trader carts. They have absolutely no chance, because one single guy with this exploit can watch over dozens of square kilometers of forest and inform his raiding party.

Two groups battle each other and eventually one group tries to reatreat into the forest. There is zero chance of survival for any of them in that deep dark forest, because their pursuers are not hindered by the trees.

Two groups assemble to battle each other, but the battle is already won for one side, because their commander can see from where how many enemy troops come and how they are equipped.

A single scout is all it takes to get the exact number of enemy players that are currently in a settlement, no matter if they are behind walls or within buildings. Based on that information, the enemy group decides whether to attack or not, and if they attack, then they know where the enemy lookout is positioned and in which direction he's looking.

I apologize if you feel offended, but it's a long time since I've read such A-quality nonsense - which of course lacks any objective argument - and that you try to pass as a serious opinion.

Exgauster83

Post by Exgauster83 » 19 Feb 2017, 06:46

very alarming courageous silence of the developers of the game regarding this hack

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 19 Feb 2017, 10:55

Exgauster83 wrote:very alarming courageous silence of the developers of the game regarding this hack

Yes, very....

Grimmblut
Zealous Believer

Post by Grimmblut » 19 Feb 2017, 16:43

Bobik to exploiters: http://i.imgur.com/SCO9KX0.mp4

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 19 Feb 2017, 18:19

Grimmblut wrote:

Your signature says you're an RP player. Now, while I think that roleplaying is an interesting part of LIF, I have never - never ever - met a roleplayer in LIF that was, in regard to pvp, fit to hold a candle to someone that I consider a serious pvp player.

Then you don't get out much.

That's not to say that I rank with the best, because I don't. It does say a lot about your preconceptions as to what RP is. But since its not my job to provide you with an education <shrug>.

I do find it incredibly funny that people choose to argue with me as to the definition of "Game-breaking" versus "Cheating". I didn't say that you were wrong for calling it game breaking, I said I didn't consider it game breaking.

In fact, here is my actual statement
I don't know if I would call it game breaking, but it certainly is cheating and needs to be dealt with.
I find it incredibly dishonest of you to change my statement in such a way that I go from offering an opinion to challenging everyone's statement. It casts your credibility on any subject into doubt.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Grimmblut
Zealous Believer

Post by Grimmblut » 19 Feb 2017, 19:25

First off, I didn't change your statement in any way. I quoted one of the three sentences you wrote. I quoted it from start to finish without adding or changing a single character.

At no point did I claim that you do not consider it cheating. But you definitely said that you don't consider it to be game-breaking. That's what I've criticised.

I didn't say that you were wrong for calling it game breaking, I said I didn't consider it game breaking.

Really? Now, I've seen a good share of hair-splitting in internet discussion, but this is ridiculous. I said that it's game-breaking. You replied to that statement and said that it's not game-breaking. And now you're trying to tell me that this wasn't meant to say that I'm wrong? Really?

You fail - again - to provide any objective argument regarding the subject of this thread. Instead, you immediately switch to an argumentum ad hominem attack. I've reported a game-breaking exploit that the devs assess to be so severe, that they say they will try to fix it within the next few days. All that you've contributed is to throw some querulous sentences into this thread and to attack me when I call you out on doing so.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 19 Feb 2017, 20:31

Grimmblut wrote:You fail - again - to provide any objective argument regarding the subject of this thread. Instead, you immediately switch to an argumentum ad hominem attack. I've reported a game-breaking exploit that the devs assess to be so severe, that they say they will try to fix it within the next few days. All that you've contributed is to throw some querulous sentences into this thread and to attack me when I call you out on doing so.

Opinions do not need to be backed up with supporting arguments, but to satisfy your emotional need to lash out after losing a fight, here you go.

Its not game breaking because it doesn't effect PvP mechanics, nor does it effect battles, sieges, or damage to a guild claim. It is not a dup exploit; it is not an 'insta kill' of a player; it does not cause database corruption; it is not giving people access to items they shouldn't get to with normal game mechanics; it does not grant any type of 'speed' bonus.

It is cheating and a serious issue for all of the reasons you previous pointed out. It does need to be given a high priority before the next patch. There is/was also a 'radar' hack that was created in the last beta phase. It was shown to Bobik and is also being dealt with. That is/was also a 'cheat', but not game breaking.

Also, quoting a short sentence that wasn't directed at you to use as you did is also deceptive, even if in the same thread. Clearly you are still too emotionally scared from getting killed and are taking your loss extremely personal.

Try thinking objectively about the issue, not how it directly effected you, or grant others the right to express an opinion on the matter, even if it differs from yours.

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Linbaba
True Believer

Post by Linbaba » 19 Feb 2017, 21:43

Grimmblut wrote:@BlackjackBarret

As I've written in the starting post, one way to fix this issue is to ensure that player models are not rendered at a distance that is further away than the distance at which trees are rendered. That would ensure that players with low performance computers can still play the game.

Your signature says you're an RP player. Now, while I think that roleplaying is an interesting part of LIF, I have never - never ever - met a roleplayer in LIF that was, in regard to pvp, fit to hold a candle to someone that I consider a serious pvp player. Several pvp players that I know have posted in this thread and expressed their overwhelming concern. You're the only one here who thinks that it's not game-breaking.
(snip)

I've never met a RPer in any game whatsoever who was any good at pvp.

Except one, but I don't want to talk about it !!

Not to say they don't carry their load, you'll often find them more active and participating more than others but in a supportive way.

(anyway, sorry for hijacking)

I'm not sure whether to be relieved or worried that it isn't through hacking "per se" or third party programs that this was done. I would imagine we should see more of that once the game is out of beta.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 20 Feb 2017, 03:49

Linbaba wrote:I've never met a RPer in any game whatsoever who was any good at pvp.

Once again, then you don't get out much.

I suppose it all depends on how limited you define RP. Are you talking "Shakespeare is the park", or are you talking about practical RP, which is what's in the signature? What's practical RP?

In any event, getting a bit off track here. The OP has nothing to do with RP and more about how several of you seem to be so offended because I don't consider this issue to be game breaking. Please, carry on.

Asimov

Post by Asimov » 20 Feb 2017, 09:35

Holy fuck! This thread just show how much we need the mmo up and running very very fast, so Bobik get your finger out your ass, before this forum explodes...

I make 1 simple joke about not that many trees in the mmo and 1 statement, that most people dont live where there is trees. I even say yes it should ofc be fixed...
Then this:

Grimmblut wrote:
Asimov wrote:I am just saying the argument about it is a huge problem in the mmo i would say is not true, since most people live in flatten areas with very few trees.

Even if battles are not fought in forests, they are still used and needed to sneak up to an enemy or to retreat into when things go wrong.

Another argument is that the initial map won't stay the same for long. One of the first things people will do is planting trees to ensure a steady supply with wood. One row of trees is enough to block your own view and give the exploiter the advantage.

Last but not least, as already has been pointed out, you can set the range at which buildings and walls are rendered to a smaller value than the range at which animals and players are rendered. That would give you a perfect x-ray view into an enemy settlement. You got to admit that this is game-breaking as well altough it has nothing to do with trees.

Ok i say it again, MOST people live where there is no trees. Yes there might be small guilds who live in the mountain, but dont you think developers should put much more focus in to bigger problems then this ? We have lived with greater bugs for longer time. If you like PvP that much, you should know about the partisan problem.

Yes there might come up trees soon. No oaks though in this next wave. But the wave after we will see some medium oaks. Are we really in a hurry ?

Well i am sorry to break it to you. When they fix this bug, you can still look in to castles, see a long distance in the woods and where people hide the stuff under ground. Another bug. So trust me you are not safe when this has been fixed.
Only way to get safer is to be better at fighting and team up with other people who is good at fighting

BlackjackBarret
Devoted Believer

Post by BlackjackBarret » 22 Feb 2017, 18:02

Hello all, It seems this issue has been resolved in the current Beta version of the mmo. I'm using my old prefs file and I'm forced to have trees within a reasonable range. The trees however are not fully rendered and the prefs still increase my fps overall.

http://i.imgur.com/1WlAIhe.jpg

Grimmblut
Zealous Believer

Post by Grimmblut » 22 Feb 2017, 20:45

Thank you, developers. :)

Genoshan
True Believer

Post by Genoshan » 23 Feb 2017, 05:23

excellent.

Return to General Discussion