How is 64-bit going to improve LiF?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Memphis

How is 64-bit going to improve LiF?

Post by Memphis » 10 Jan 2017, 21:41

In the latest "dev blog" (if you can really call it that) it's mentioned they are working on pushing the code from 32 to 64-bit. So my question is why? I know 64 bit is the new buzzword for gaming, but it's only really needed for large volumetric numbers, and, frankly there is no need for that in LiF. So why 64-bit and not ships or horse carts? You know, the things players have been asking for and you promised years ago.

Kildrith
Zealous Believer

Re: How is 64-bit going to improve LiF?

Post by Kildrith » 10 Jan 2017, 21:48

Memphis wrote:In the latest "dev blog" (if you can really call it that) it's mentioned they are working on pushing the code from 32 to 64-bit. So my question is why? I know 64 bit is the new buzzword for gaming, but it's only really needed for large volumetric numbers, and, frankly there is no need for that in LiF. So why 64-bit and not ships or horse carts? You know, the things players have been asking for and you promised years ago.

The changes to terrain that happen in large scale every day, is kind of reason enough to want 64 bit.

Beefheart1

Post by Beefheart1 » 10 Jan 2017, 21:50

Stability and it might make it possible for LiF:YO servers to increase the maximum amount of people playing on the same server.

No more "AAARGH I CANNOT GET IN FOR JUDGEMENT HOUR"

Saar
Zealous Believer

Post by Saar » 10 Jan 2017, 21:53

I'm not informatician so my explanations will be a little quick.
In fact, why 32bits architecture, programs can only take a limited amount on memory (RAM), about 4Go (-1Go for Windows).

In LiF, and in particular with the MMO, a lot of data are stored (terraforming and player position/action/stats) by processor.
With a 64 architecture, the limit is very higher so our pc can manage more data in simultaneous and avoid crashs and stability is more important than a horse, no? :)

No interest to have ships and carts if you can't play
Last edited by Saar on 10 Jan 2017, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

Memphis

Post by Memphis » 10 Jan 2017, 21:54

64-bit doesn't make things load faster or increase server capacity, in fact it may be a bit slower to load because you need to send twice as much data to the client. Now if terraforming allowed me to dig in increments of .0000000001 then 64 bit would help with that but no one wants are is asking for that.

Server capacity and stability is based on the amount and speed of data moving, and 64-bit doubles that amount.

Saar
Zealous Believer

Post by Saar » 10 Jan 2017, 21:56

The current problem isn't server capacity but client "overload".
A major part of crash are related to "not enought memory" on our pc. not on server as the devs said

Memphis

Post by Memphis » 10 Jan 2017, 21:57

Saar wrote:I'm not informatician so my explanations will be a little quick.
In fact, why 32bits architecture, programs can only take a limited amount on memory (RAM), about 4Go (-1Go for Windows).

In LiF, and in particular with the MMO, a lot of data are stored (terraforming and player position/action/stats) by processor.
With a 64 architecture, the limit is very higher so our pc can manage more data in simultaneous and avoid crashs

Ah RAM, that kinda makes sense. Is the MMO really that unstable? Sounds like the first months back at the beginning of LiF Early Access, years ago.

Duffman118
Zealous Believer

Post by Duffman118 » 10 Jan 2017, 22:43

Memphis wrote:
Saar wrote:I'm not informatician so my explanations will be a little quick.

With a 64 architecture, the limit is very higher so our pc can manage more data in simultaneous and avoid crashs

Ah RAM, that kinda makes sense. Is the MMO really that unstable? Sounds like the first months back at the beginning of LiF Early Access, years ago.

4GB is the maximum usable memory the 32-bit version can handle... im not currently getting all 32GB of RAM currently installed in my PC but only using 4GB. Couldn't be happier with devs decision to make the switch! TY DEVS!!!!

PS the MMO is amazing! Worth the wait!!! Cant wait for a NA server tho to avoid language barriers/ping issues.

Cian
Alpha Tester

Post by Cian » 10 Jan 2017, 23:19

Im going to go ahead and say this since you obviously havn't been following all the design decisions being made.

1. Horse Carts are being worked on currently. They may not be implemented in the near term, but the process has started. They've released videos onit.

2. Ships are a LONG way off. Like end of Wave 2 type of long way off. There will only be one ship available at release and Bobik has not and will not put any thought into it until other things are taken care of first. He has not decided how many ships, what types, or their purposes yet.

You've got no idea what their priorities are and what they are spending their resources on to enact those priorities. If they feel the need to work on 64 bit architecture to make the game more stable then obviously they've decided it has more initial benefit than carts and ponies.

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 10 Jan 2017, 23:27

Duffman118 wrote:Cant wait for a NA server tho to avoid language barriers

that's a pretty cool medieval feature :(
Membre de l'alliance du Royaume Franc

Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Return to General Discussion