Important Poll

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Would you be willing to pay for EVERY character you want to transfer to the main continent?

Yes, I am willing to pay for every character and the price looks reasonable.
42%
Yes, I am willing to pay for every character, but the price seems too high.
20%
Yes, I am willing to pay for every character and feel free to raise the prices. LiF is going to be a cool game and worth it! :)
8%
No, I don’t want to pay for every character in order to play.
30%

Total votes : 2460

Floris_Macflurri

Re: Important Poll

Post by Floris_Macflurri » 29 Jan 2014, 17:20

If I can create and play my characters without paying too much for doing so I would be pretty much satisfied. It would be best if I needed to pay once and get multiple characters to the main continent. It looks like a game I will no-life with friends so keeping the costs low is the thing I want.

Arthua

Post by Arthua » 29 Jan 2014, 17:38

finalreview wrote:5-15US$ for "premium" just make w/e the base experience rate you want as "125%" and make the normal experience rate 75% of normal but call it 100%. Kids don't have to pay and don't miss out on much, while adults can support the development / maintenance and get a small perk. Or create any number of cash shop perks for small prices that work well together so the average player will spend between 5-15$US per month. Nothing that is pay to win, just timer savers or cosmetic.

1 Character 1 Account 0 Alts

No perks. I hate that "premium" advantage. That is exactly what pay to win is.

Premium subscribers should be called "Donators". They should get an allowance, a title near their name, and a few cosmetic items (maybe a starter house, or an exclusively premium weapon that is purely cosmetic.)

I dislike cosmetic items too, but if finances are an issue that is the only fair perk "donators" should get (along with an allowance).

People should want to donate. Another suggestion would be to add an unlimited amount for players to donate per month. With a minimum donation of 5$, they can get a minute perk (small allowance maybe), which ends at the end of the month. That way if people want to donate like 40$ they can.

It's all about minimizing pressure. When i look at a game that demands a monthly fee, all i see is a game that is archiac and callous towards gamers. Everyone knows the negative feeling of subscription gaming. The ambiguity of the future. 'Will i have enough money to keep paying for this?' Or 'Geez, ive been playing for 8 months and I've already paid over 80$+ on this, should I quit?"

B2p games allows players to leave and freely return to a game. There is no pressure, and you feel like this game will be forever.

Some people posting seem to put gaming on a high priority. Sure a game could be a blast, but truthfully couldnt you have put that 200$ youve spent on Game X towards something more constructive, and just played the equally as entertaining games that are b2p.

Starioshka

Post by Starioshka » 29 Jan 2014, 18:16

Many characters is stupid. Paying for more characters sounds smart, will stop people from localising all the economy to one account.

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 29 Jan 2014, 18:25

Having experience in the industry from the business side I can tell you that B2P is nearly unsustainable as a model. It works great for games like DayZ or Rust because those aren't MMOs. The backend infrastructure that maintains the master server lists are minor compared to what you need for an MMO.

Most companies that are built on F2P or B2P models are struggling and either use their F2P or B2P games to bring in fresh customers through some sort of item shop or are backed by a larger company that uses that title for other means.

Sorry, but subscription based MMOs are the vast majority because it is the most sustainable business model, especially for indie studios. Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter or what that says to you, that is just a fact of running a business and at the end of the day that is what an MMO is and how it stays online.

I'm still in favor of a subscription based system, but B2P seems to be the path that is being taken.

Once you add premium this and that, then there are balancing considerations that are generally done poorly.

Mysbubblan
Zealous Believer

Post by Mysbubblan » 29 Jan 2014, 20:40

I like this idea as it will allow players that use more then one character to use one account for them all instead of buying multiple accounts! :)

And the price's seem fair to me!

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 30 Jan 2014, 00:40

Paying a sub is not a turn off for most people. Games lose subscribers because of the game itself. Lack of content and shoddy development. Theme parks are only entertaining until we've been on all the rides.

If this is truly a sandbox MMO with as much freedom as we've been led to believe then people will be engaged in the world and it's politics far longer than any theme park.

If this is actually an MMO there will be certain costs to maintain a server good enough to give us a great experience ingame.

I don't see how a cash shop will cover your expenses unless your planning on pumping out abunch of custom skins or something along those lines.

I personally prefer getting everything in the game for a set price. For MMOs that usually means a monthly sub. I'm only interested in playing the game and usually never waste money on cosmetics. If the core mechanics are good then this game will succeed.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 30 Jan 2014, 05:17

Arthua wrote:
finalreview wrote:5-15US$ for "premium" just make w/e the base experience rate you want as "125%" and make the normal experience rate 75% of normal but call it 100%. Kids don't have to pay and don't miss out on much, while adults can support the development / maintenance and get a small perk. Or create any number of cash shop perks for small prices that work well together so the average player will spend between 5-15$US per month. Nothing that is pay to win, just timer savers or cosmetic.

1 Character 1 Account 0 Alts

Premium subscribers should be called "Donators". They should get an allowance, a title near their name, and a few cosmetic items (maybe a starter house, or an exclusively premium weapon that is purely cosmetic.)

I dislike cosmetic items too, but if finances are an issue that is the only fair perk "donators" should get (along with an allowance).

People should want to donate. Another suggestion would be to add an unlimited amount for players to donate per month. With a minimum donation of 5$, they can get a minute perk (small allowance maybe), which ends at the end of the month. That way if people want to donate like 40$ they can.

It's all about minimizing pressure. When i look at a game that demands a monthly fee, all i see is a game that is archiac and callous towards gamers. Everyone knows the negative feeling of subscription gaming. The ambiguity of the future. 'Will i have enough money to keep paying for this?' Or 'Geez, ive been playing for 8 months and I've already paid over 80$+ on this, should I quit?"

B2p games allows players to leave and freely return to a game. There is no pressure, and you feel like this game will be forever.

Some people posting seem to put gaming on a high priority. Sure a game could be a blast, but truthfully couldnt you have put that 200$ youve spent on Game X towards something more constructive, and just played the equally as entertaining games that are b2p.

QUAERO TOTUS

banok
Alpha Tester

Post by banok » 30 Jan 2014, 06:53

The game needs a price on alternative characters to stop people abusing them. it's a must.

1 character per server makes for a better experience, in my opinion. However people can always buy multiple accounts, so might as well let them buy extra character slots.

Stavious
Alpha Tester

Post by Stavious » 30 Jan 2014, 08:54

My question is what payment systems will you be using PayPal, credit card direct debit? if its just limited to PayPal I wont be playing this game.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 30 Jan 2014, 09:15

Stavious wrote:My question is what payment systems will you be using PayPal, credit card direct debit? if its just limited to PayPal I wont be playing this game.
You can pay with your credit/debit card via PayPal, no problem. Unless bank has not enabled internet purchasing option onto Your card, then no good. If You mean T/T, then the price would be fee + bank transfer tax.
QUAERO TOTUS

Demetrius

Post by Demetrius » 30 Jan 2014, 09:56

I fully agree with this system, the price looks great :D better than my expectations :) Go on Bobik!

Muorifast@gmail.com

Post by Muorifast@gmail.com » 30 Jan 2014, 10:53

I'm for the 1 account 1 char. solution, so i'm ok even with an higher prize for additional toons.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 30 Jan 2014, 13:50

10euro for each new toon is way too much for me, for that price I could buy another game. I have no idea if I will bring more than one character in, but if I'd want to this price is too high.

Would it be not better to use in-game currency? Let's say a free pass for new character to come to the island for some significant ammount of gold coins?

I believe that would be better solution, forcing people to pay for new characters with real money is a little bit too harsh, and may do more damage than good.

So I propose to add free passes for a lot of gold coins, that once bought at NPC in the main city will be bound to account for one time use by another character, that is supposed to be brought there.

Sargon

Post by Sargon » 30 Jan 2014, 14:18

I'm agree with this system, if you can support the game with this prices. Maybe a better solution could be increasing the first payment (around 30€) and decreasing the payment for each other toon (around 5€)

BartusPL
Alpha Tester

Post by BartusPL » 30 Jan 2014, 14:46

I'm choice:
"Yes, I am willing to pay for every character and the price looks reasonable."
+it's good for now, and profitable for both side.
-Many game's have been destroyed by the B2P system. People stop buying from shop, players do not arrive, the money is finish. Ofc is a worst-case scenario.

Alternative solution(pay for every month):
+DevTeam need work to have player's.
+Many update's
+If game will be good, then Dev have money and player's
+Player's have good product.

-too high price
In MO price is 13euro, it's to big, and I never buy it.
Price betwen 2-4 euro for month sound's good for Me.

Maarloeve

Post by Maarloeve » 30 Jan 2014, 17:10

The whole system which allows each account to claim 100 cells of non-damageable, non-degradeable land seems rather troublesome at best. What's to stop griefers in one guild from buying new accounts to, say, claim an important staging ground near their rival's territory? Will players be able to eventually dissolve a foe's land claim if it's near their own guild / feudal holding? Hopefully the system won't be exploitable as I'm envisioning it to be.

Balariand
Alpha Tester

Post by Balariand » 30 Jan 2014, 18:07

Well, I am pretty sure that you have to place some sort of monument to claim personal land. It is 100% necessary for guild claims, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be implemented for personal claims.

Now these monuments can be destroyed during a war and thus the land is free-to-claim again (at least that's my understanding of the current plan). You are right, the land is protected from any harm during peace, but during a war it is a whole different story. If your enemy decides to claim the land near your "capital", it shouldn't be to hard to wage a war and wipe them from your neighborhood. Make sure to claim the land for yourself and fortify it afterwards.

Sincerely, Balariand

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 30 Jan 2014, 19:40

According to this thread 90% of population wants that 10% of population will spend 100 euro a month (1 person need to pay for 10 people playing) for fluff items in cash shop.

Anyone else thinks that B2P in such game will fail? People that buy fluff in cash shop usually play opposite games to sandbox PvP full loot one.
Skills and crafting information: lif-database-application-t1494

Build your first home for newbies guide: first-house-guide-to-new-players-t1432

trashman
Alpha Tester

Post by trashman » 30 Jan 2014, 19:51

There should be a donation option that allows for a monthly income for the dev team. I think that a sub would scare alot of people off and that b2p is the way to go, but there are people here who would love to see this game do well and are willing to donate money monthly.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 30 Jan 2014, 21:17

Maarloeve wrote:The whole system which allows each account to claim 100 cells of non-damageable, non-degradeable land seems rather troublesome at best. What's to stop griefers in one guild from buying new accounts to, say, claim an important staging ground near their rival's territory? Will players be able to eventually dissolve a foe's land claim if it's near their own guild / feudal holding? Hopefully the system won't be exploitable as I'm envisioning it to be.

If they were to upgrade their monument stone and envelop the enemies forward land-claim they can dissolve it.

Until the enemy manages to put up a palisade wall all around the forward claim there is nothing stopping you from just waltzing in there and woffelstomping.

Cian
Alpha Tester

Post by Cian » 30 Jan 2014, 23:13

I'm going to apologize in advance because this is going to sound sort of callous and rude but it needs to be stated.

Take the poll results, cross reference it with the list of people who donated to the game. Count the votes of people who didn't donated but supported $$$ for each character as half a vote :D

It's half jest and half truth. People say they support XXX Cost or XXX cost but when it comes time to pay the piper they no longer support it.

As Krevente said, most B2P models follow a common theme. The initial rush, player drop, income drop, cash shop, P2WIN, More player drop, game shut down in 24 months. Guild Wars is the only exception to this trend.

I would rather have a subscription model of 5 to 10 euro a month with a flat 10 euro fee to open additional character slots that MUST all share the same surname to prevent avoiding your in game reputation.

Cash shop is optional, but must be mostly cosmetic items such as kingdom banners, kingdom surcoats, etc etc.

Most people waste more than 10 euro a month of beer, smokes, or bad B rated movies.
Lord Cian Khan
Baron of Deephold,
Gul Khan of House of Khans
Great Khan of the Tribal lands

HOUSE OF KHANS
http://www.houseofkhans.com

HOK DISCORD
https://discord.gg/NRB3DR3

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 31 Jan 2014, 00:02

Guild Wars works the way it does because it uses minimal traffic to the main server relying on a mostly Peer2peer system or limited smaller 'rooms' reducing the overhead needed in terms of server hardware.

Games like Rust and DayZ put the majority of the cost on the players so you might not be paying for anything, but that server host sure as hell is and generally to the tune of $20, $30, sometimes $80 a month depending on the hardware and bandwidth.

The bottom line is that someone has to pay for the game to stay online whether it's the players or a mix between players and those hosting the hardware. Even F2P games like SWTOR, Star Trek Online or Neverwinter are still supported by subscription fees, it's just billed as a "Premium" service.

Sure, we can make it cheap as hell to get and play the game making it nearly free for everyone, but the servers won't stay online for very long.

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 31 Jan 2014, 10:44

I chose bonus exp as the first thing that popped into my head. I have no clue what F2P games like SWTOR give you for your monthly premium fee or I would of suggested that. Even still, I don't understand how a guy leveling 25% faster then you is pay to win.

Servers have to be paid for, relying on a new two-handed sword skin you brought out this month to pay for the servers is not a viable business plan. I'm all for some sort of monthly payment plan.

On the subject of people wanting some way for your reputation to be tied to all your characters, people will just buy new accounts. The only viable option is 1 Account with the heaviest enforcement possible.

Also the amount of people posting in this thread who say some of the prices listed are to much are just silly. If you can not afford to pay between 5$-20$ a month on a video game you have much bigger problems in your life then debating on a forum. Either that or you are a minor, and children don't deserve an opinion in my book.

1 Account, 1 Character, 0 Alts

mck09

Post by mck09 » 31 Jan 2014, 20:05

I think it might make more sense if you handle the account/char system like star wars galaxies. Like you have one char per account and server.
If you want to have a second char you should buy a second account.

But therefore are you going to make multiple chars playable simultaneously?
Like, having 2 chars on one account but you can log in with an account only once, you wouldnt be able to play both chars at the same time. But if you had 2 accounts you might be able to play with 2 chars at the same time.

For me it is important, since i would spent those extra 10 bucks just to play both at the same time.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 31 Jan 2014, 20:45

If you make it 20 euros to purchase an account, 10 for an additional character slot on that account and then 5 a month you would effectively dissuade people from opening another account. 25 for 1 character is very cheap off the get go and many people will only have 1. If they need an additional crafter or whatever than a one time payment of 10 euros isn't to bad.

If someone needs a second account because they messed up there reputation and alignment than they have to pay the 20 again and another sub instead of just an additional 10.

This will lower griefers or exploiters from getting all the accounts while still leaving the option open for people who will spend the money which only supports the devs more.

All I can say about having a cash shop is that I rarely spend money in them and prefer having access to all game content via monthly payment. If you have hundreds of cosmetics you might make money off a shop. So basically until we know the full extent of your shop plans we can't really judge fully.

Werff

Post by Werff » 31 Jan 2014, 21:22

I preffer only the 20 euros first character, 10 the next.

Monthly payment will make a lot of people get out of the game, i cant pay monthly D: a lot of people can't.

dragonlord

Post by dragonlord » 02 Feb 2014, 03:38

Most games do this. and to pay for each character some so called premium time is a good idea :)

Arthua

Post by Arthua » 02 Feb 2014, 21:16

finalreview wrote:

Also the amount of people posting in this thread who say some of the prices listed are to much are just silly. If you can not afford to pay between 5$-20$ a month on a video game you have much bigger problems in your life then debating on a forum. Either that or you are a minor, and children don't deserve an opinion in my book.

That's not an argument for monthly subs. Anyone can afford to pay 20$ a month for something. Im sure most people have phone bills triple that cost.

You seem to be apart of the 'children' group you aim to exclude. Sure 20$ a month seems like pennies if you only have that and maybe a Netflix sub to pay for. But many adults have car bill, phone bill, rent/housing amenties, tv or netflix, etc. When you have a lot of obligations, you feel less inclined to pay 20$ for a video game.

A video games sole purpose is to give you some ephemeral happiness. This happiness howver can be satisfied by a plethora of different ways that are much cheaper than 20$ a month.

Just because you are old enough to have a debit card with a little cash in it, doesnt mean you can dictate everyone elses situation and exclude "children" (as if you dont remember the under 15 gamer struggle).

So for MANY people it is a question of priority. Does a 240$ a year for a game sound worth it? When you can just play Rust or any b2p game for much cheaper.

Personally, I am a college student with no responsibility. I have a job too. Sure i can afford to pay 20$ If were are judging numerically. But IMO it would be foolish of me to spend 20$ a month for a game that is solely for entertainment and provides minimal life benefit outside of that. Not when i already have subs to other things that provide more benefit.

5$ a month would be an suggestion. Sorry I am not as hardcore I guess.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 03 Feb 2014, 13:13

Well (a bit off-topic but) Elder Scrolls online asks for ~55 EUR to buy the game and then ~13 EUR monthly fee :fool: , so I know where my money will go...
QUAERO TOTUS

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 05 Feb 2014, 02:08

Arthua wrote:
finalreview wrote:

That's not an argument for monthly subs. Anyone can afford to pay 20$ a month for something. Im sure most people have phone bills triple that cost.

You seem to be apart of the 'children' group you aim to exclude. Sure 20$ a month seems like pennies if you only have that and maybe a Netflix sub to pay for. But many adults have car bill, phone bill, rent/housing amenties, tv or netflix, etc. When you have a lot of obligations, you feel less inclined to pay 20$ for a video game.

A video games sole purpose is to give you some ephemeral happiness. This happiness howver can be satisfied by a plethora of different ways that are much cheaper than 20$ a month.

Just because you are old enough to have a debit card with a little cash in it, doesnt mean you can dictate everyone elses situation and exclude "children" (as if you dont remember the under 15 gamer struggle).

So for MANY people it is a question of priority. Does a 240$ a year for a game sound worth it? When you can just play Rust or any b2p game for much cheaper.

Personally, I am a college student with no responsibility. I have a job too. Sure i can afford to pay 20$ If were are judging numerically. But IMO it would be foolish of me to spend 20$ a month for a game that is solely for entertainment and provides minimal life benefit outside of that. Not when i already have subs to other things that provide more benefit.

5$ a month would be an suggestion. Sorry I am not as hardcore I guess.

It is not our place to advocate for people who can't afford to pay for the game. As I stated above clearly, if you do not have an extra 20$ a month you should not be investing ANY AMOUNT of time playing video games. As you eloquently put it: "A video games sole purpose is to give you some ephemeral happiness." As in something you do in your free time. If you are above 18 and not in college you should be able to afford 20$. If not then you're most likely below the poverty line, and have no business wasting your time on trivial video games when you should be bettering your life. I've been working since I was 16 and have supported my MMO habit on my own since then. Yes, I am an adult and have bills to pay. Those who have to many bills should better their situation, or learn to manage their money.

Now I will admit I struggled with my parents to use their debit card for Star Wars Galaxies when I was 13. If you read my posts I suggested some sort of "premium" service and not a monthly fee. Allow all players who have purchased the game to play for free forever, with some small bonus given to those who support the developers AND KEEP THE SERVERS RUNNING.

Return to General Discussion