Increased Wall/Defensive Structure Variety.

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
IvanGray

Increased Wall/Defensive Structure Variety.

Post by IvanGray » 17 Oct 2017, 10:59

So far I've been loving the extended options for castle walls, I'd really like to see it go further, though.

On my wishlist for new walls:

Stone walls with no merlon.
    Stone wall stairs with no merlon.
    Stone wall corners.
    Have female models be fixed to be unable to jump between canopy of stone towers and merlon, (Male models can't, assuming bug that females can.)
    Stone towers with the back two squares open, so the backwall and both inside edges are walkable, styled like the angled tower entrances.
    Palisade gates, (Not gatehouses.) to be a 1x2, not requiring the two open squares in front.
    Harbor walls that can be built in water without using glitches.
    "Defensive" stone walls, with 3 merlon sides, like defensive wooden walls.
    "Defensive" castle walls, with 3 merlon sides, like defensive wooden walls.
    Keeps to have a portcullis gate, operated and controlled like a gatehouse, rather than a simple door.
    Wooden wall corners.
    Palisade corners, (No walkway.)
    Stone gatehouses with short drawbridges. 2.5 squares long maybe, rather than the 4+ of castle?
    Stone walls with short canopies, around the height of and styled similarly to the 1x2 wooden canopy.
    Castle walls with canopy.
    Castle walls with passageway that feature a gate.
    Functional spiked bars for stone gatehouses, and honestly, more active defensive parts in general. Where are the vats of boiling oil?
    Both stone and castle walls with merlons on the inside and the outside.
    Stone Gatehouses to have a small murderhole added, like how the castle gatehouse has one.
    Castle walls with a middle level, around stone wall height that can be passed through from the sides, with arrow slits.
    Wooden wall variants with full width walkways.
    Palisades, (No walkway.) with loopholes.
    Movable, wheeled mantlets.
    Some way to, "Lock" palisade shields without abusing object intersection mechanics.
    Buildable siege towers.
    Have freestanding, "Stairs" be a 1x2, like on the stone wall variants they're modeled off of. Same applies to the wooden wall height stairs as well. Why are they not a 1x1?
    Very tall versions of scout towers for seeing over higher tier walls.
    Very tall freestanding stairs for getting on top of castle walls, like the ones for stone walls.
    JohnValentine wrote:Diagonal Stone Walls that conform with upward slope. Currently Regular stone walls conform to "flatten slope" when built, but diagonals can only be built in GM Mode and do not adjust their model.

I honestly feel like adding these, and others will help castles look, feel, and function more like they should. Long wishlist, but I could honestly go on. There are so many options that would improve this game's defensive building.
Last edited by IvanGray on 23 Oct 2017, 02:12, edited 3 times in total.
Leader of Forsaken

JohnValentine
Zealous Believer

Re: Increased Wall/Defensive Structure Variety.

Post by JohnValentine » 17 Oct 2017, 11:23

Many really good productive ideas.

IvanGray

Post by IvanGray » 19 Oct 2017, 02:43

Thank you. Do you have any thoughts on additional structures/pieces/variants that castle/fortress design would benefit from?
Leader of Forsaken

JohnValentine
Zealous Believer

Post by JohnValentine » 19 Oct 2017, 07:08

IvanGray wrote:Thank you. Do you have any thoughts on additional structures/pieces/variants that castle/fortress design would benefit from?

You've hit the nail on many of the "advanced" builder annoyances. Off the top of my head, I would add..

Diagonal Stone Walls that conform with upward slope. Currently Regular stone walls conform to "flatten slope" when built, but diagonals can only be built in GM Mode and do not adjust their model.

IvanGray

Post by IvanGray » 23 Oct 2017, 02:13

I honestly hadn't thought of that, since 99% of the time I build exclusively on completely flat surfaces, and I don't often use diagonals. I've quoted you for credit, and added it to the OP :)
Leader of Forsaken

Falkvard
Beta Tester

Post by Falkvard » 31 Oct 2017, 22:43

Great post.

Generally, I would love if they did something about diagonal stone walls and wooden walls
1. make the loophole / merlon holes smaller so that a character cant jump through them.
2. change building requirements in a way that the tile the diagonal wall is built on does need to be flat.

Currently if you rely on high terraforming, diagonal walls are practically useless, because half of the tile on the outside is flat. looks stupid and helps the attackers.

IvanGray

Post by IvanGray » 08 Nov 2017, 22:24

Yeah, I definitely agree that the gaps in the merlon of the diagonal stone walls need fixed, but personally I'd also really like square corners to be available. Would improve builds drastically and solve the problem you mentioned about the triangle of flat ground on the outside.
Leader of Forsaken

Return to Suggestions and Ideas