MMO Interactive FAQ

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Sting5

Re: Interactive FAQ

Post by Sting5 » 10 Apr 2014, 16:52

425. Will there be cave ins (like in H&H) when mining unsupported tunnels?

Yes, there will be cave ins (tunnels decay). And to avoid it you should construct timber or support columns.

Thanks!
QUAERO TOTUS

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 19 Apr 2014, 08:48

Combat related:
Will swing animation be interrupted when you hit a solid surface (tree, building, rock) or your opponent's block/parry?

I think it's vital for you as an indicator for weather your attack was successful or not.

Animation already should be interrupted if you hit a block/parry or your target. Animation will not interrupt if you hit a tree or wall, at least not at these early stages of development.

Xenus

Post by Xenus » 22 Apr 2014, 09:59

427. You've mentioned an NA server, will it be workable to connect to there as European or to the European server as American to play with friends? (I would personally prefer a single server like EvE, but as long as I can play with my friends its all good)

428. What about moving a character from one server to the other, when you find that one of your friends made a character on the wrong continent's server?

If we gonna have regional servers we do not plan to limit character transfers or ability to play on different regional servers.

Virdill
Alpha Tester

Post by Virdill » 26 Apr 2014, 14:32

429. I read that you're not going to implement thief skill, why this decision? It could be in the future plans?

It could be. But we have a lot of other more important functionality to do ATM.

430. There will be pets like dogs and cats? Or only farm animals?

Only farm animals.
Sorry for my bad English

Paskiboy

Post by Paskiboy » 02 Jun 2014, 20:32

431. Keeping it simple:

Sea travel?

Yes, but later in development.

SirWinston
Alpha Tester

Post by SirWinston » 03 Jun 2014, 01:44

432. Maybe it's too early to tell, but have you decided how realistic bows and crossbows will be ? How far can you shoot with a bow ?

A bit holywarish question :) they gonna have a ballistic trajectory of course and max distance will be around 150 meters, but only for longbows, other bows and xbows will have a little shorter range.
Spoiler

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 03 Jun 2014, 19:25

433. If I remember correctly there are alternatives to killing someone: either punch him unconcious or make him surrender which leaves you the opportunity to loot him, right?

The advantage for the looter is obviously less work and no alignment loss.

What is the advantage for the one surrendering?

Losing all your gear is the worst thing that can happen, right? I feel you gotta give the surrendering player a little more incentive to do so or else every fight will be fought to the bitter end, I fear...

Kinda wrong. There are 4 possible outcomes of a fight to a victim:

1. Slashing or piercing lethal damage, HardHP<0, death. Victim is losing BOTH his loot AND skill points. Attacker receives -10 alignment (if it was not an official war or self-defence)
2. Blunt non-lethal damage, SoftHP<0, knockout. Victim is losing ONLY his loot, but preserve his skill points intact. Attacker receives -3 alignment (if it was not an official war or self-defence)
3. Victim is in yielding/surrendering state, but receives a slashing or piercing damage, HardHP<0, death. Victim is losing BOTH his loot AND skill points. Attacker receives -15 alignment (if it was not an official war or self-defence)
4. Victim is in yielding/surrendering state, but receives a blunt non-lethal damage, SoftHP<0, death. Victim is losing ONLY his loot, but preserve his skill points intact. Attacker receives -3 alignment (if it was not an official war or self-defence). Note, you only need to hit once with a blunt weapon to instantly knockout yielding player - no matter how many SoftHP he has.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 04 Jun 2014, 12:14

Thanks for the explanation.

concerning point 4:
Shouldn't there be a way to loot the victim without losing more alignment? You're already losing alignment points for the initial attack, afterall. And when the victim yields he already consented to you being the victor. Punching him down seems like an unnecessary dick move furthermore :P

Game mechanics work that way - you can loot only unconscious player, so you need to punch hi face at least slightly with something blunt :) Looting is a separate crime no matter what.

435:
concerning self-defense:
say you and a buddy are traveling and you're being attacked by another player. Your buddy wants to help out and kill the other guy, but since it's not exactly self-defense will he be punished by alignment loss?
I feel there should by a group mechanic so that if one of your group is attacked you can legally kill the attacker.

If you got attacked by someone, that will turn attacker into criminal. That means any criminal actions against a criminal will not be punished with alignment loss. So you, your buddy, your buddy's buddy and few other passing by strangers can join into beating that criminal and later looting him :)

Touchmee
Alpha Tester

Post by Touchmee » 04 Jun 2014, 13:03

436. This is kind of a spin off from the previous question but will there be a group/party system and how ill it work with the following things:

- Inviting to group via name or right clicking person? Both
- Visable on map? Nope
- Visable name over head? Nope, only when you hover over
- Can we allocate targets as a group leader? Not planned. And there will be no big red arrow flying above enemy so every group member can focus that guy. No, there will be no such things.
- Setting waypoints etc? Nope. But group members will see leader with his formation on the ground (look at our promo vid). That's a huge of a waypoint IMHO
- Max amount of players in group? 10
- Sharing XP on kills? XP? What are you talking about??? :shock:

Wurm online did teaming up very badly and I am hoping here will be better. I would love a GOOD party/group mechanic, its something i feel gets overlooked in sandbox games and I really don't know why.

Tasnik
Alpha Tester

Post by Tasnik » 07 Jun 2014, 23:38

437. will there be any form of cannibalism? I saw you can loot the meat from a player as well as his innards. Can you actually cook it and eat it after?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: No, you can not loot actual body parts or innards or whatever of the player. Maybe we will implement heads as some kind of trophy, but not for cannibalism.

EDIT: oh ok I understood, I was just confused about this screenshot http://lifeisfeudal.com/images/pictures ... shot53.png in the Key features, but everything clear now, thanks

Modestego

Post by Modestego » 11 Jun 2014, 01:34

438 I know the MMO forums have already shut down the possibility of NPCs on the MMO server however, will this be possible on the YO servers. For example if people want to test there skills while playing a on a private server they could spawn or mod some in?

Wild animals (and possibly aggressive Native Pygmy later in development) will be both in LiF:MMO and LiF:YO. There will be just no HOARDS of those NPCs/mobs, but they will provide you with some fun for sure. There will be a setting for LiF:YO that will limit amount of NPCs per server at one given time

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 13 Jun 2014, 00:33

How will we know when we are entering another kingdom's domain? Will there be lines drawn on the ground representing the borders of different kingdoms? I think this would be helpful. We could even toggle this feature on or off.

Exactly as that. We will provide a hotkey that will allow to turn on claims and country territory rendering on the ground of and off. Also, player entering some country or claim land will receive a message.

RoboSenshi
Alpha Tester

Post by RoboSenshi » 15 Jun 2014, 19:57

440. I have a little concern with the blunt damage mechanics. If you swing a massive hammer and inflict heavy blunt damage to a person's head (in game) shouldn't that character die rather than get knocked out? Or does all blunt damage no matter what body part it hits result in a KO.

Actually blunt damage deal 75% to SoftHP and 25% to hard HP. So heavy blow to a character with low HardHP might result in a death.

441. Will fish and fishing be turned on when wild animals are? And will we be able to fish in all bodies of water including lakes?

Fishing is already working and you can fish in any water body. You can even dig out your own pond and fish there.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 20 Jun 2014, 09:50

442. What prevents a player from walking into another faction's mine and mining it himself? If there is a wall built near the entrance, that still does not prevent him. The player can simply walk around it up the mountain, or dig near it, and probably still take the same ore without penalty. Of course, someone could PK him, but they might not want to lose alignment. So how do you defend your resources (trees, mines, animals) without losing alignment?

Once claim system will be implemented, guild TOWN claim will prevent to do most of the actions, so trees can not be cut, animals in barns can not be butchered or taken etc. As about mine, there are no owners underground. If you had extracted an ore and placed it in your warehouse - then it is yours. Otherwise it is FFA. But you can effectively close your mine entrance with a walls perimeter, so it will be hard for them to extract it. And if that mine is deep in your guild claim territory, they will need to build a looooong tunnel to snatch it. Yet it is all possible. Claims are working only on a surface, underground is a no mans territory without any claims.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 25 Jun 2014, 10:39

443. Are town signs planned? Or any mechanics to name your settlements?

No signs are planned, but players will receive message when they will enter Guild claim and Guild town claims, and thus they will know where they are. There should be no problems to implement a naming for those Guild town claims = settlements.

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Post by Tantal » 25 Jun 2014, 14:16

444. About prospecting:

a)When we set a range of prospecting, is it in meters or tiles?

Meters

b)How does it count diagonal directions, meaning: When we prospect with range 20, do we prospect in a sphere around us with diameter 40 or do we prospect in a cube with edge length 40?

Sphere with diameter of 40 meters in your case.

Reese
Alpha Tester

Post by Reese » 28 Jun 2014, 03:48

445. You stated that ground resources could only the stored on the ground. Are tree logs considered part of that resource? Is there a way for someone to cut logs and store them in their town as a readily available source of wood for crafters?

Nope, tree logs are a bit different. You can:
1. stockpile them at your base. That will occupy some space, but will allow you to saw out any type of resources (billets, boards, building logs) at any time you like with any proportions you like
2. Saw out desired amount of resources (billets, boards, building logs) and store them at warehouse or other containers. That will free some physical space at your base. But if you have failed to estimate your needs in let's say boards, you might run short of them and will have to get new logs to saw them out.

Lord_Sitruc
True Believer

Post by Lord_Sitruc » 28 Jun 2014, 09:29

446. You said earlier that there would be no poison for arrows and bolts. Will there be no poisons at all in the game?

Poisons are planned for some later stages of development.

447. Will there be a system in place to allow people to gather resources if I want them to for a short period of time. I.E. I have captured someone in a fight and have offered to spare their life if they agree to conduct manual labor for me for a set period of time. I understand I will be able to put them to work in the mines since claims don't work underground but will there be a system where I could put them to work gathering wood or harvesting crops?

No.

448. I understand that customization of armor as far as changing the design will not be available. I was wondering if we would be able to change the color. I.E. if I wanted to be known as the green Knight would I be able to paint my armor green on top of having a heraldry? (which you have stated will probably be added at a later date.)

You will not be able to repaint armor. But at least you will be able to design your herladry and we plan to have tabards, so you can be pretty green if you want to :)

449. You mentioned there will likely be a automated tax system for people settle on claimed land of a guild. Will you also be able to tax resources instead of money? I.E. I need wood to build myself a glorious palace so instead of taxing them 100 silver coins for x period of time I could instead charge them 3 logs.

Most probably there will be both types of taxing, both resources and money.

450. Siege weapons have been indicated for sieges, will smaller siege weapons also be in the territorial battles, such as a Mangonel or a bolt thrower?

Not planned ATM.

451. I believe I read somewhere that there will be no directional parry system like there is in M&B, I might have somehow missed this somewhere else but could you go more in depth with how the player will defend themselves from attacks if they are not carrying a shield and there is no directional parry system?

There is a directional parry system. Only difference that you must face a weapon, when it is hitting you. For instance if someone is making a horisontal slash, you will have to turn toward the sword while parrying. That system is already working.

I just want to say I have only learned about this game a few days ago and I have read this full FAQ thread and watched every video I can find and dug through the wiki, my only complaint so far is I want MORE!!!

Thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing with this game. :beer: :Bravo:

And thanks for answering my questions in advance.

Reese
Alpha Tester

Post by Reese » 28 Jun 2014, 13:44

452. Is the self defense mechanic solely based on who hit who first? For instance,if I see two players charging at me and I know they are coming to kill me, is there a way to attack first without the alignment loss?

No, there is none. Even if we did, everyone would "I know that these guys are going to kill me" to justify their assault. Life is Feudal.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 28 Jun 2014, 22:43

453. Will it be possible to set up rudimentary defenses on a battlefield and leave them there. Such as a hill

Nope, if we're talking about proper battle via in game mechanics. If you mean just any players combat somewhere - ofc you can do whatever you want.

454. Will there be any reason to construct army camps? Aside from being in hostile territory and needing a place to construct engines of war?

Yes, during siege attackers will respawn in their camp. Amount of siege tents being setup tells the amount of attackers that can bind at that camp. If during a siege defenders will be able to burn few tents - that will lower amount of attackers that could effectively respawn nearby. So it is defenders necessity to provide some palisade defenses to protect their siege camp.
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Hanger55
Alpha Tester

Re: LiF:YO Interactive FAQ

Post by Hanger55 » 01 Jul 2014, 00:25

455. Hi I was wondering if during release you would be able to buy tickets to the main island for friends? How would it work? What if you have a ticket yourself and want to hand it to a friend? Is there a way for that to work?

There is no shop items transfer planned. But you can always pay for your friend with your credit card. OR maybe we will allow premium currency transfer sometime later.

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Post by Tantal » 03 Jul 2014, 08:21

456. Will it be possible to dig underwater, using a dredge, especially for making a harbor on later stages for ships?

Nope. At least not until release.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 03 Jul 2014, 23:20

457.Will cavalry(including light cavalry) lance enemy archers or will archers just be able to shoot down the cavalryman's horse?
Do not understand that question really. Who will prevail in battle depends on player's skills mostly
Link to Tirmani thread:

LaCai

Post by LaCai » 04 Jul 2014, 23:36

i read em all!
458.How will guild management work?
lets say i lead our 10 player gaming group, and i want change something inside guild,it will be ingame browser right?

Right.

459.If our 10 man guild is part of an a "kingdom" and we have our own claim whit guild momument, and we decidet to switch our "kingdom", and we decidet to switch "kingdom", aslong theres no "kingdom" momument, our territory stay under our control?
Or upon joining a "kingdom" our clan momuments tranfers automatically to "kingdoms" one?
Same if we decidet to leave from that "kingdom"

Treat Kingdom as alliance in any other MMOs with politics systems. Leaving or joining a Kingdom will not change your assets, claims or alter your monument.

460.Social:can we send instant in game messages? what we can read thru some social panel at anytime and anywhere?

Yes, you can create chat rooms freely, including private message chat rooms with other characters that are currently online. There is no offline messaging system yet and will not be for some time. So far I advise to use forums PMs.

Sounds awesome game :shock:

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 07 Jul 2014, 07:08

461. Will superior numbers be usable in battle or will having all the realms in a kingdom attack them at once be the only way to try and overwhelm them?

Both ways should work relatively well. Unless that attacking zerg have at least some kind of skills and organization.

462. Is wind and weather planned to affect ships?

There are even no ships yet :) IT is too early to talk about them ATM.

463. Will orders, e.g. a company of elite soldiers Be able to join a kingdom? As to assure autonomy.

Nope, orders can not be officially alleged (via in game rules) to any property holding entity (country or kingdom). But countries or kingdoms can simply give access to their buildings to certain orders and enlist them in their battles or sieges.

464. Will 'sieges' be battles or prolonged sieges possibly involving prolonged bombardment?

We will try to avoid it, because usually it is boring. But ofc some amount of time had to be spent to breach walls during siege.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Reese
Alpha Tester

Post by Reese » 07 Jul 2014, 13:19

465: About how long would crops take to mature to harvest stage? I assume some take longer than others. If 4 hours is one day in game, would it be about a week real time?

Currently I've decided to speed day up a little (3 hours instead of 4). And crops will take 24 in game days to fully mature and dry out. So after 16 days passed you will be able to harvest them. So it will take 2 real life days for sown crops to be ready for a harvest.

466: Are there ways to speed up crop growth like using fertilizer or planting in higher quality dirt?

There is a fertilizer (it is actually animal dung that you will clean out from stables/barns). But it will just turn nonfertile steppe soil into more fertile grassy one. Fertile soil DOES NOT increase growth rate, but will increase harvesting output per cell. Quality of both fertile and non fertile soils will affect quality of crops.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 08 Jul 2014, 02:42

467. Is mined gold used for anything other than a currency? The only way I see it being worth anything (as a coin) is if it is also an important material for crafting imperial armors/valuable items.

Gold is valuable as:
1. source of income
2. crafting ingredient for high end steel alloy (Vostascuss streel - a bit of magic here ;) )
3. crafting ingredient for jewelry. Equipping a jewelry is an only way to increase Luck stat. Luck affects all combat and crafting abilities in some way or another.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 08 Jul 2014, 03:53

468. Will newbie island include a city similar to the Spawn city
doubt that. Maybe a village of some sort...

469. Will newbie island wipes Include skill caps. If so, why?
No. skills and player inventory will not be affected.

470. Will 'failing' a minigame result in the failure of the activity or decreased productivity than 'succeeding'.

there are no penalties for failing a minigame. You just will only fail to receive a bonus.

471. Do you that non-instanced battles will occur? Like two people chopping wood then one gets shot with an arrow, they go running then get lanced down. Do you hope things like this will happen?

It will happen a lot all around. It is what called a "free PvP" ;)

472. Do you think it's possible for Monasteries to exist? So Basically a small town/realm whose Members have High piety, high intelligence and high mentoring,alchemy,farming,jewellery and arts. As well as some specialists like some woodcarvers, maybe a blacksmith and An architect and semi-skilled builders.

Sure, why not? Only limitation is your imagination ;)

473. Does swiftness and Power strike affect archers? Because then Archery units could go wedge and charge, which makes no sense. But archers should potentially get bonuses.

Archers will not be affected by these buffs. Thought they will get movement and defensive bonuses. After all, they can charge with short swords and bucklers if they're forced to. Why not? :)
Link to Tirmani thread:

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 09 Jul 2014, 07:49

474. Will polearms special moves include tripping someone over. Possibly involving Taking a certain amount of Hard and soft stamina and knocking them down for a second or so. Affected by their Current weight and stats? Processed Clientside maybe?

NO WAY for client side calculations! :no: As about tripping, 2H mauls and massive 2h swords are mainly designed for knockdowns. Though a lot of weapons actually have a small chance to knockdown someone during fight. Polearms are designed mostly as anti cavalry weaponry - they will have more stopping power against horses and will have increased chance to force a dismount of a victim.

475. Glaivesman is Man 1, enemy in front of him is man 2, The men on Man 2's left and right are Men 3 and 4 respectively, the man behind man 2 is man 5.

Man 1 trips man 2 then stabs man 3 with his glaive, trips man 5, Runs Man 2 through with his glaive when he stands up and stab man 4 with his dagger?
Will combos be thing like this? If not then how will they be?(Man one is a Max level Polearmist)

I certainly need a picture of that :D Really hard to understand that question.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 09 Jul 2014, 22:16

476. If you do not include things like being able to trip people over which I'm pretty sure actually happened then what will be glaive special moves?

There are no special moves on weapons at all. Not only on glaives. Only some increased chances to cause a knockdown, bleeding, fracture or to force a dismount. Weapons types differ with what kind of combos you can use.

As about AC, I hope you're not serious when you compare single player AAA title with mocap animations etc. with indie MMO with a mount & blade-like melee mechanics.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Return to General Discussion