Land Ownership

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Admin4

Land Ownership

Post by Admin4 » 21 Nov 2017, 09:01

Hello everyone,

I would like to start off by saying since I was able to play even with all the problems with downloading the game, getting it to patch, and eventually making a character I am really enjoying the game.

This is in no way a rant, rather its trying to understand the mechanics of owning a plot of land for myself and my friend to play. As i've noticed since starting my buildings and wooden palisades have deteriorated at an alarming rate. Now I understand that there should be decay.

So i've learned that you can get these copper coins from the trading posts but as that is several hours of running for myself that seems a tough problem and a tedious one. (that I may have to do several times a week/s)

Im wondering if maybe this process will change? Or maybe more trading posts will be added? I love the mechanic of earning currency through trade etc. Im just wondering if there will be any updates/changes to this system?

Maybe some of you have found a good mechanic for owning land as a small party far away from the trade.

Please let me know your thoughts, good luck out there!

Dsimms6

Re: Land Ownership

Post by Dsimms6 » 21 Nov 2017, 09:10

Yeah, I'm having the same issue, we have 4-7 people so we can't make a guild, and prefer not to just find a few random people to join, if they even will... We made a run to get coins to make a bunch of personal claims, only to find out that you have to have more coins to feed them non-stop.... plus they can't be close to each other and everytime you enter a friends' claim, it pops up warning messages constantly. So annoying!

Is this changing soon? We will all probably have to stop playing until this is fixed.

We MUST have a claim for our land else we honestly cannot play and soon someone will just claim near us and soak up our land.

I noticed someone near me with a big monument but they are only 1 person... How did they do that.. and we can't with 7?

Admin4

Post by Admin4 » 21 Nov 2017, 09:59

Dsimms6 wrote:Yeah, I'm having the same issue, we have 4-7 people so we can't make a guild, and prefer not to just find a few random people to join, if they even will... We made a run to get coins to make a bunch of personal claims, only to find out that you have to have more coins to feed them non-stop.... plus they can't be close to each other and everytime you enter a friends' claim, it pops up warning messages constantly. So annoying!

Is this changing soon? We will all probably have to stop playing until this is fixed.

We MUST have a claim for our land else we honestly cannot play and soon someone will just claim near us and soak up our land.

I noticed someone near me with a big monument but they are only 1 person... How did they do that.. and we can't with 7?

ya, I feel like we are on the same boat. I feel as though I can't play unless I can come up with a way to claim at least a 20x20 area for me and my single friend to play.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 12:04

I too feel the same way.

Currently it seems almost impossible just to keep my claim of a 3x3 grid going. The rate that things decay seems far too fast.

I started to build a house, but i'm on a tiny island with no trees. This won't be a problem when I can plant new trees. But for the moment I have to swim to get building logs...one at a time.

By the time I get back the house is gone, and it has to be replaced. So I rebuild the foundations and put a log in, go and get another and again when I come back the unfinished house foundations are gone. At first I thought it may be someone destroying it. So I built it with a couple of squares of the house inside the 3x3 claim radius. Thinking that this may stop someone destroying the unfinished foundations...but no. Why can't a personal claim be a bit bigger. At least let us have a claim that we can put the smallest house in to stop the impossible decay rates.

The coins I get yesterday I fed to the claim. They gave me ONE in game day which has already expired.

Seriously, the thought of having to run to the market...which is a 2 hr journey there and back almost every day, just to get coins to feed the claim seems absolutely stupid.

Why on earth is this mechanic like this. It really feels like pay to win to me. Because the only way to get so many coins would be to buy them. Otherwise all you're going to be doing in game is non stop trading with the market and then running to your claim to "feed it" and then rinse and repeat to infinity.

Seems utterly ridiculous to me.

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 21 Nov 2017, 12:50

What is the distance limitation between pclaims?
How far do they need to be from one another?

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 21 Nov 2017, 13:11

GeordieMarv wrote:Why on earth is this mechanic like this. It really feels like pay to win to me. Because the only way to get so many coins would be to buy them. Otherwise all you're going to be doing in game is non stop trading with the market and then running to your claim to "feed it" and then rinse and repeat to infinity.

LiF is a MMO the old way and not a single player game. Was always advertised for big groups and not lone wolfs.
Even the skillpoint limitation tells you not to settle alone. In a group everything gets easier, even trading way more coins.

A big key feature is that you can always lose everything, your current inventory and your settlement. Be perpared for bad people visiting your claim in the middle of nowhere without any protection, just to have some fun beating you up.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 13:16

Gruber wrote:
GeordieMarv wrote:Why on earth is this mechanic like this. It really feels like pay to win to me. Because the only way to get so many coins would be to buy them. Otherwise all you're going to be doing in game is non stop trading with the market and then running to your claim to "feed it" and then rinse and repeat to infinity.

LiF is a MMO the old way and not a single player game. Was always advertised for big groups and not lone wolfs.
Even the skillpoint limitation tells you not to settle alone. In a group everything gets easier, even trading way more coins.

A big key feature is that you can always lose everything, your current inventory and your settlement. Be perpared for bad people visiting your claim in the middle of nowhere without any protection, just to have some fun beating you up.

I have 588 hrs in LIF:YO

Except in LIF:YO you could sacrifice lots of stuff to the claim alter to a) expand/upgrade your claim and b) get more time onto the claim.

In the MMO it only takes coins. So your point isn't really valid. As in LIF:YO you could manage your single player claim easily.

Magistrum

Post by Magistrum » 21 Nov 2017, 13:20

Gruber wrote:

What odl way, your full of it, i played LIF YO since BETA...!!!!! Thats BS there is no old way, you can play as you want, and claims where a normal thing, raiding hence the judgment hour, so stop giving false info..It wasnt ment to be a group game, just a game, to play as you see fit..

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 13:21

Edwinus wrote:What odl way, your full of it, i played LIF YO since BETA...!!!!! Thats BS there is no old way, you can play as you want, and claims where a normal thing, raiding hence the judgment hour, so stop giving false info..It wasnt ment to be a group game, just a game, to play as you see fit..

^^This
I understand it's heavily focused towards clans. I knew that when i played 588 hrs in Your Own. It wasn't a problem then, but is it a problem now. The claims only taking gold coins is bloody ridiculous.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 21 Nov 2017, 13:40

Edwinus wrote:What odl way, your full of it, i played LIF YO since BETA...!!!!! Thats BS there is no old way, you can play as you want, and claims where a normal thing, raiding hence the judgment hour, so stop giving false info..It wasnt ment to be a group game, just a game, to play as you see fit..

YO is not MMO. In YO you make your own rules, play as you want. MMO was never meant to be solo oriented game. Never. Those two games are aimed at a little bit different audiences. If someone really wants to play alone in MMO, or in very small group of two, three people, then they have that option, but they need to pay for a piece of land of their own accordingly if they want to keep it protected. This will, of course, get easier once players establish their own Trading Posts.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 13:44

Arrakis wrote:YO is not MMO. In YO you make your own rules, play as you want. MMO was never meant to be solo oriented game. Never. Those two games are aimed at a little bit different audiences. If someone really wants to play alone in MMO, or in very small group of two, three people, then they have that option, but they need to pay for a piece of land of their own accordingly if they want to keep it protected. This will, of course, get easier once players establish their own Trading Posts.

But there will no doubt be lots of players who bought LIF:YO for the MMO. If they can survive in LIF:YO, then they should at least be able to survive in the MMO.

Can you please tell me, if the personal claims will ever take anything other than coins? Been a loyal player of LIF and been waiting for the MMO for years. Now that it's here...it seems impossible to even progress and keep the most basic of claims going as a single player. I'm not talking about being attacked etc. This is fine and I expect it. I'm just talking about being able to get a claim going that's big enough for a house.

If I had of known that I wouldn't even be able to progress in the MMO, I would never have bought LIF:YO. Because I only bought it for the MMO.

Very disappointing after waiting years.
Last edited by GeordieMarv on 21 Nov 2017, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 13:52

I am going to come across as the jerk here but toughen up buttercup.

The fact is if you want to play this game with one or two other people you are perhaps approaching this game wrong.

You need to form communities, guilds, clans, nations. If all of these small enclaves of 2-7 players grouped up they would have one massive nation of probably 70 players. And ALL of them would have a MUCH easier time at achieving all of the goals they have.

This is why modern REAL life man, lives in communities, not all by ourselves.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 13:54

Hodo wrote:I am going to come across as the jerk here but toughen up buttercup.

The fact is if you want to play this game with one or two other people you are perhaps approaching this game wrong.

You need to form communities, guilds, clans, nations. If all of these small enclaves of 2-7 players grouped up they would have one massive nation of probably 70 players. And ALL of them would have a MUCH easier time at achieving all of the goals they have.

I totally understand that. I just think that being able to have a house and a tiny bit of land as a single player or a couple of players isn't asking for too much.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 14:22

The problem is a single house and a tiny bit of land is a private claim. And the system works for that, BUT it takes more work.

Right now you have to use coins, eventually you will be able to use gods favor to pay upkeep.

Then the other problem with a tiny claim and several people on it, only one of you maybe two will have a respawn point there. Because all you will be able to fit is one maybe two shacks on there.

Peegee77
True Believer

Post by Peegee77 » 21 Nov 2017, 14:32

Hodo wrote:I am going to come across as the jerk here but toughen up buttercup.

In every sandbox MMO there is always somebody who tells everybody else how they have to play the game. It gets real old real fast. It's a sandbox, the whole idea is that different strategies emerge within the framework of the game mechanics.

If people want to work solo or in small groups, that's fine. It's going to be tough, and so it should be. Forming guilds and larger groups is always going to be a better option.

People who want to do it the hard way will have enough challenges to face without having to fight against personal claim game mechanics which at the moment are just ridiculous. Let people sacrifice a range of goods to maintain their claim. Let them play the game their way, and then if they fail its because solo play is a bad strategy, not because you, the devs or anybody else twists their arm to conform to some preconceived idea of how people have to play.

Magistrum

Post by Magistrum » 21 Nov 2017, 14:37

Arrakis wrote:

YO is not MMO. In YO you make your own rules, play as you want. MMO was never meant to be solo oriented game. Never. Those two games are aimed at a little bit different audiences. If someone really wants to play alone in MMO, or in very small group of two, three people, then they have that option, but they need to pay for a piece of land of their own accordingly if they want to keep it protected. This will, of course, get easier once players establish their own Trading Posts.

I think you missunderstood, nobody inteds to play this as singleplayer, any mmo out there you can play and trade with other players, converse, etc..but guilds are not forced upon, or teaming up for the matter. If this is an MMO, you should respect player wishes and mmo rules, Which means world filled with other players to do what they want. If i want to be a hunter in the mountain which is in your trailer btw, to hide from others and trade pelts, create short term alligances, but have my own patch of land it shouldnt be hindered by a game emchanic like coins, but as you sad my own trade post should rectify that...but i stand that not just coins should be able to be sacrificed.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 14:40

Peegee77, I am not telling you or anyone HOW to play. I am just telling them that the way they are approaching it is not going to work.

If you want to go and try and live in a tunnel underground without a claim and die every other day because of a cave in, then so be it.

But dont complain on the forums about how hard your style of game play is, or how difficult it is to survive without others. Or how limiting the skill cap is. Well I hate to say this, YOU chose to live by yourself. So either get good or suck it up.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 14:41

Hodo wrote:The problem is a single house and a tiny bit of land is a private claim. And the system works for that, BUT it takes more work.

Right now you have to use coins, eventually you will be able to use gods favor to pay upkeep.

Then the other problem with a tiny claim and several people on it, only one of you maybe two will have a respawn point there. Because all you will be able to fit is one maybe two shacks on there.

If we will eventually be able to sacrifice other things like you could in LIF:YO then that will be fine...and the whole claim thing wont be a problem at all.

As I say, I totally understand that as a solitary player it should be extremely hard to get anything major, like armours, castles etc. Unless you're playing for 20 hrs a day...but skill point cap etc will also stop a solitary player being able to get anything major.

I'm just talking about getting a tiny claim, big enough for a house and a chest. And then being able to manage that and upgrade my claim statue/monument. That should not be inpossible to do. Impossible to defend from attack etc against clans and guilds yes. But it shouldn't be impossible for single players to be a hermit with a little house somewhere if they choose to. Surviving attacks, thefts etc is part and parcel of the game and to be expected.

How many coins would I need to be able to increase the size of my 3x3 claim grid to say a 5x5 so I could get a house in the claim radius?
Last edited by GeordieMarv on 21 Nov 2017, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 14:44

Edwinus wrote:I think you missunderstood, nobody inteds to play this as singleplayer, any mmo out there you can play and trade with other players, converse, etc..but guilds are not forced upon, or teaming up for the matter. If this is an MMO, you should respect player wishes and mmo rules, Which means world filled with other players to do what they want. If i want to be a hunter in the mountain which is in your trailer btw, to hide from others and trade pelts, create short term alligances, but have my own patch of land it shouldnt be hindered by a game emchanic like coins, but as you sad my own trade post should rectify that...but i stand that not just coins should be able to be sacrificed.

Coins represent you paying taxes to the crown... which to me is a bit of a pain and I agree you should be able to use more than just coins.

But you can do all the things you listed before. It just takes one well planned trip to the trade post to get setup. You sell enough stuff to have several weeks worth of coins on you then you are good.

And over time larger guilds will setup trade posts of their own, closer to some of the more remote areas of the world. They may even allow access to outsiders.

So you just have to wait till the economy and the world gets a bit more established than it is right now. So in about a month maybe 2 people will get stabilized and the initial rush will die down.

Peegee77
True Believer

Post by Peegee77 » 21 Nov 2017, 14:47

Hodo wrote:Peegee77, I am not telling you or anyone HOW to play. I am just telling them that the way they are approaching it is not going to work.

If you want to go and try and live in a tunnel underground without a claim and die every other day because of a cave in, then so be it.

But dont complain on the forums about how hard your style of game play is, or how difficult it is to survive without others. Or how limiting the skill cap is. Well I hate to say this, YOU chose to live by yourself. So either get good or suck it up.

I accept what you say, but you are missing the point. I am not "complaining on the forum about how hard my style of gameplay is". I am complaining about a bad game mechanic which makes a difficult play style effectively impossible. If you wanted to be an archer but every time you fired an arrow you had to pay a copper coin, would you be happy? If I told you to suck it up and get good cos archery is meant to be difficult, would you accept that?

bzdurk

Post by bzdurk » 21 Nov 2017, 14:53

Hodo wrote:

But you can do all the things you listed before. It just takes one well planned trip to the trade post to get setup. You sell enough stuff to have several weeks worth of coins on you then you are good.

Yeh, but the problem is, you can only sell building logs, 13 coins each :)

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 14:55

Peegee77 wrote:I accept what you say, but you are missing the point. I am not "complaining on the forum about how hard my style of gameplay is". I am complaining about a bad game mechanic which makes a difficult play style effectively impossible. If you wanted to be an archer but every time you fired an arrow you had to pay a copper coin, would you be happy? If I told you to suck it up and get good cos archery is meant to be difficult, would you accept that?

To be honest, yes. I would adapt, improvise and overcome.
Archery right now IS expensive time wise. But that isnt your point, and I get your point. But some people are to ridged in their thinking to adapt.

Right now a lot of things are just not turned on. So give it time.

GeordieMarv wrote:
If we will eventually be able to use other things like you could in LIF:YO then that will be fine...and the whole claim thing wont be a problem at all.

As I say, I totally understand that as a solitary player it should be extremely hard to get anything major, like armours, castles etc. Unless you're playing for 20 hrs a day...but skill point cap etc will also stop a solitary player being able to get anything major.

I'm just talking about getting a tiny claim, big enough for a house and a chest. And then being able to manage that and upgrade my claim statue/monument. That should not be inpossible to do. Impossible to defend from attack etc against clans and guilds yes. But it shouldn't be impossible for single players to be a hermit with a little house somewhere if they choose to. Surviving attacks, thefts etc is part and parcel of the game and to be expected.

How many coins would I need to be able to increase the size of my 3x3 claim grid to say a 5x5 so I could get a house in the claim radius?

In the last phase of beta you could do all of those things. Pay for upkeep on a totem with food, rope or what ever. BUT it was to easy to dot the land with personal claims that had months of upkeep on them. I myself setup a personal claim in 2 days, I had 4 weeks of upkeep on it.

Again, wait till the world stabilizes a bit, and the major guilds get established. You will see more trading posts setup in more remote regions. So those guilds dont have to travel an hour or more to the central city just to get upkeep coins.

Also... tame a horse, it will make traveling a whole lot faster.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 14:57

bzdurk wrote:
Hodo wrote:

Yeh, but the problem is, you can only sell building logs, 13 coins each :)

13? I got my coins yesterday and only got 8 for it. Ha. I was robbed. Have they increased the price paid since yesterday?

I really could do with someone giving me an idea of how many coins i will need to keep a claim going for say a week? Currently 3x3 but want to make it big enough for a house so 6x6. Have no idea how many coins im going to need...to expand from a 3x3 to a 6x6 and then keep it going for a week.

Once I know, as Hodo said, I can maybe plan a better trip to the traders.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 15:03

GeordieMarv wrote:
13? I got my coins yesterday and only got 8 for it. Ha. I was robbed. Have they increased the price paid since yesterday?

I really could do with someone giving me an idea of how many coins i will need to keep a claim going for say a week? Currently 3x3 but want to make it big enough for a house so 6x6. Have no idea how many coins im going to need...to expand from a 3x3 to a 6x6 and then keep it going for a week.

Once I know, as Hodo said, I can maybe plan a better trip to the traders.

And this is the hard part... finding out the information you need. I know in the clan I am in, we have people working on just that. Along with the 50 dozen other tasks and projects we have going.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 15:09

Hodo wrote:And this is the hard part... finding out the information you need. I know in the clan I am in, we have people working on just that. Along with the 50 dozen other tasks and projects we have going.

What about upgrading the claim from a 3x3 to a 6x6. Do you even know roughly how many coins that would take? I can worry about the claim time once i can at least get a house in a claim radius to stop it a) decaying or b) being dismantled before it's finished by some swine! ;)
Last edited by GeordieMarv on 21 Nov 2017, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

bzdurk

Post by bzdurk » 21 Nov 2017, 15:19

I extended my claim to 9x9. Had totem feeded by 26 copper coins, and my claim lasts 1 _in-game_ day :) For me, is totally pointless to start anything right now, but it's ok. I can wait for fixes and balancing next couple of years :)

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 21 Nov 2017, 15:20

bzdurk wrote:I extended my claim to 9x9. Had totem feeded by 26 copper coins, and my claim lasts 1 _in-game_ day :) For me, is totally pointless to start anything right now, but it's ok. I can wait for fixes and balancing next couple of years :)

How do you extend it though? Do i need a totem or something? Alot has changed since i played LIF:YO. So not sure about all the new mechanics.

If you could explain how you upgraded from a 3x3 to a 9x9 i would really really appreciate it.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 21 Nov 2017, 15:24

LiF:MMO is not LiF:YO, lone wolfs have a hard time in the MMO and this was always as intended.
You are not forced to play the MMO, you can stick to YO. But dont cry like a baby if the MMO is not like you want it to be.

bzdurk

Post by bzdurk » 21 Nov 2017, 15:27

There was option in Claim Management window, when you interact with totem. Can't say exactly how, because i don't have this totem anymore :D

bzdurk

Post by bzdurk » 21 Nov 2017, 15:30

Gruber wrote:LiF:MMO is not LiF:YO, lone wolfs have a hard time in the MMO and this was always as intended.
You are not forced to play the MMO, you can stick to YO. But dont cry like a baby if the MMO is not like you want it to be.

That's totally bullshit, because no one crying, just saying that we have balancing problem here.

Return to General Discussion