LIF for dummies (starter guide)

Want to learn or teach others some of the finer details of Life is Feudal? This section is for the game guides, tutorials and FAQ's.

Rosebud

LIF for dummies (starter guide)

Post by Rosebud » 07 Oct 2014, 23:51

Life is feudal for dummies

I was new, much like you are now and I wish I could have found something like this on the forums to assist me at that time. I’m not saying it wasn’t there…I’m just saying I couldn’t find it. This is intended to help you get through your first few hours.

Choosing a Server

1) There are a ton of servers to choose from. Official ones are more likely to stay up longer (I hope.) Whichever you do choose write the name of it down so you can find it again (no history key as of yet.)
2) The only character options worth fiddling with are the attributes located at the bottom. You will need to do some trial and error with these as you raise new characters. The truth is each character needs different attributes so until you decide which class of lore you want to study changing them will be a crap shoot. Just raise them all equally for now.

You Fall From the Sky

1) ‘Tab’ toggles your ability to direct yourself with the mouse.
2) The © key toggles your view of yourself.
Great now you can move about…now what?

You Interact With Your Environment

1) (RC) (right click) the grass under your feet, select gather plant fiber. Nothing works every time, you may need to reposition yourself to another square, but at some point you will gather plant fiber.
2) Open your inventory (I) you should see three items (1) Cookies (2) Clothes (3) Straw (plant fiber). Now tap (T) and a picture of a body with five slots will appear. Drag the clothes to the body square and that action will place the garment on your character. This will also work for any tools in your inventory which we will discuss in a moment. If you (RC) the cookie you can eat it, don’t do that just yet…later maybe. Hit the (I) key to close your inventory.
3) Run (hold shift and W down at the same time) to a tree and (RC) on it.
*It’s important to note here that if you see your cursor you will be unable to control your characters movements with the mouse (hit the TAB so that you can.)
(RC) scroll to ‘break branch’. Check your inventory and (RC) on the branch then select make primitive tool. A box will appear, at the top select the pull down menu and select the tool you wish to make (let’s say a shovel.) Now the box will show you what you need to make that shovel, collect these items and place them from your inventory into the grey square below the item in the box, click ‘Make’. Ok you have a shovel. Every other “primitive” tool is made just like that. Transfer it to one of those boxes in the same manners as you did the clothes (I) key and (T) key.

My God I’m Hungry

1) There are three bars under that small human form in the bottom left of your screen the two big ones (your general health) and a small one above and to the right (hunger.) If your hunger is below 50 eat a cookie or three.
2) Food in the form of berries or roots can be found on the ground via the same process we used to find plant fiber but this time use the ‘gather’ tab. However finding berries and roots is not that easy and you will not find them that easily. The second option is ‘apples’ these trees can be discerned from the others in that they are darker with a blue hue and if they are blooming you will see small fruits hanging from their branches as you approach. (RC) the tree and you will get an additional tab that will allow you to gather some apples.
3) You can also fish (make a fishing pole) I estimate the chances of catching a fish at about one in nine casts.
Different servers give you different gains for different foods so see what it is on yours.

Dude I need Flint And Or Other Items

1) You’re going to need flint stones. You can find these in rocky spots on the ground or hill side. (RC) prospecting and scroll down to the look for ‘find flint’ tab. In addition there are what looks like rocks on the ground (smooth, almost flat rocky areas) they are great for finding flint stones.
2) You need rocks? In that same smooth rocky area on the ground where you found flint, (RC) ‘Terraform’ and select lower ground. This should yield you 30 rocks. (Thankfully you have a shovel to do so…you’re welcome)
*It is important to note at this time that you can “Overburden” yourself with goods. Once you make whatever it is you need from those rocks (RC) them and spread them over the ground.
* Don’t want to get rid of all of them? Use the ‘Shift key as you (RC) and this will allow you to separate the pile of whatever you have.
3) You need clay? Clay is located on the map by finding the off colored light areas, most look like little nicks or notches on the map. To retrieve it just (RC) the ground, ‘Terraform’ and lower terrain.
4) You want ore? Well, don’t we all. Ore is tough to locate under ideal conditions. Best to find an abandoned mine or join a settlement with an already working one. If you insist on finding it yourself, use the ‘Terraform’ option and select prospect for ore. Do wide searches till you locate something and then zero in on your search till you are on top of it. Then dig baby dig.

I Want To Make a Structure

1) Start with a smelt, under ‘Construction’ tab. It will be a little weird because the item isn’t built immediately. Instead a small sign appears and you will need to click on this sign. Once this is done a box will appear (similar to the one that appeared when you made tools) telling you what you need to collect to build this structure. Fill the grey area with these items and hit construct.
2) Need a place to stay? Bear in mind that you will need to have certain levels of construction ability to build these structures. You gain this by building smaller structures. This is not a short process.

A) You will need a 4 X 4 flat area of ground to build on. Go to ‘Terraform and select ‘Overview’. This will give you an overview of a large area of squares. Pick the area where most of terrain is of similar height in a 4 X 4 area.
B) Now, using the ‘Terraform’ tab raises or lowers the squares in that area so that they are all the same height. You will only be able to raise or lower the height by .1 for each attempt. Use the dirt from lowered squares located in your inventory to raise others.
C) Flatten the 4 X 4 area. You cannot flatten a square that you are standing in. You will need to flatten squares outside of yours. When done they should appear dark on your ‘overview map’.
D) (RC) the ground and select ‘Construct’ go to ‘Small wood hut’, hit construct. Unlike tools, a foundation will appear on the ground, but it functions the same way as did the tool making box. Find or make the objects and fill the grey area then begin construction. Some structures may require you to hit the construct button a few times. You will need to be outside of the structure to fully raise it.
E) Enter dwelling (RC) and claim it.

As you build thing your abilities improve and you will be able to build more and better things. However you will need others to progress any further then where we are now. I would suggest that since we are still in Alfa that you play with several different characters and determine for yourself what abilities you enjoy most. I have four on a single server, a constructor, farmer, miner and forester. Each character requires different tools and at some point cannot supply himself independently.

I would be remiss to not include a statement regarding etiquette. There are some shady fellows on some servers so be warned. What constitutes shady you may ask? Glad you asked…I’m not 100% sure but I will tender this list (my opinion only)

* Taking items from someone else’s village.
* Taking items from someone else’s dwelling.
* Destroying others work.
* Attacking others without real cause.
* Not making the attempt to return to the game, in some way, what has been given to you from other players.

I hope you enjoyed and found useful, the information that I have presented. It was a slow grind to gain this information as you will soon find out…good luck new players and remember…Life is Truly Feudal

Return to Guides and Tutorials