Medieval Arabian based race/culture in the game

Discussion of the game lore and medieval ages.

Moderator: Lore Masters

Rex_Hiemis

Medieval Arabian based race/culture in the game

Post by Rex_Hiemis » 02 Dec 2016, 12:29

There are 3 races/cultures in the game. Each of them is the equivalent of the cultures of our past: classical medieval European feudal society (Gottlung), Norse (Slavard) and Mongol (Khoor). But I wonder instead of Mongols would a culture like Medieval Arabians not be better? They have their own architecture, arms-armor style etc. and they have much bigger impact on medieval history than Mongols. Maybe not as a substitution but as a whole new race? What are your ideas?

Moschops
Zealous Believer

Re: Medieval Arabian based race/culture in the game

Post by Moschops » 28 Dec 2016, 10:32

I wouldn't say that the Khoor would represent purely the Mongols, at least in my mind. Rather, I look at them as a representation of the Pecheneg, Avar, Huns, Kipchak, Baglvalal, and, of course, the Mongols/Tartars in addition to many others.

Regardless, the name Khoor seems derived from the Khurrites, which is another name for the Hurrians, which are one of the ancient antecedents to modern day Armenians. While the Khoor in game look purely Asiatic, the name leads me to think of them as a singular representation of the horsemen of the 'oriental' tribes, as they were thought of then. Most of those tribes were, in actuality, from Anatolia (modern day Turkey) and the areas surrounding the Black and Caspian sea, and up into the Don river basin.

From a Russo-centric point of view, they seem completely logical to have in the game.

That being said, given the power and influence of the Umayyad Caliphate in Europe (specifically in Spain), an Arabic analogue would certainly make sense.

Might be a bit late to add more races, though.

Life is Iqta.

Linbaba
True Believer

Post by Linbaba » 28 Dec 2016, 10:54

I think that what Rex Hiemis was hinting at was that asside from the cultural "logicalness" of including in the game, the Mongols didn't have much material things, and in particular buildings, that could be adapted in game.

Plus the "role play" of being a nomadic and raiding tribe sure sounds like a lot of fun but can not fit into this game as it is now.

Risky

Post by Risky » 19 Dec 2017, 07:15

Yes having the option to be a nomadic tribe would add diversity into the game.

Return to Lore Section