On Angels, Demons, Daemons, and Devils

Discussion of the game lore and medieval ages.

Moderator: Lore Masters

Azerath
Alpha Tester

On Angels, Demons, Daemons, and Devils

Post by Azerath » 27 Oct 2014, 17:41

To my colleagues in the Church,

I find myself with a great deal of time while the voyage is prepared to this new island of plenty. I have decided to pen this letter to you to share some of my studies in demonology and ask for your prayers and guidance in the days to come.

While we all know Requesta is the highest and most powerful being in the universe, she is not the only higher being which effects the mortal plane.

Requesta is a godess of order. As such, she has servants which assist her in keeping the world and universe in harmony. These servants are called Angels, and they are organized into a hierarchy with the most powerful at the top, and the weaker at the bottom. From the Compendium, we know mortal men only ever have interactions with those at the very bottom of this hierarchy, as those higher have duties that extend into the heavens.

Demons are malevolent beings which lurk in the dark recesses of the world. They are weak and can only have a small impact on the world on their own. They are sick and twisted spirits and may be drawn to humans who they feel they have some sort of connection to. They may follow this person around, causing mischief in their lives, or may even seek to possess the bodies of these individuals or the bodies of loved ones in order to be closer to them. It is also possible that a demon may possess a person to cause suffering to them or others. Requesta has dominion over spirits, good and evil, and a priest, or even a trained layperson can invoke her name and call on her power to expel a demon from a possessed individual.

Daemons are neutral spirits, not neccessarily good or evil, who inhabit the natural world. They are sometimes referred to as fairies, sprites, banshees, gnomes, devas (ect). While some deny the exsistence of Daemons outright, the Church has not taken an official position on them. Indeed, the Inquisition has encountered a few who worship these creatures as gods and has left them to their own devices. Afterall, it is harmless to have a belief, until it isn't.

Devils are powerful, malevolent beings who are able to manifest themselves and influence the world without the need of possessing a body. They mostly work behind the scenes to manipulate and cajole man against the Church and Requesta.

This brings me to the point of my letter. Saxum. While we know Saxum is neither Angel nor Demon, there is a debate as to whether Saxum is a Daemon of considerable power and influence, or a Devil. Some in the Church of Requesta view him as a Daemon and see the worship of Saxum as childish and foolish, but ultimately harmless. They would have us deal with its leaders and members with a soft touch. Others view Saxum as a Devil and the Church of Terrun as an evil religion which must be torn down and violently erased from exsistence.

For myself, I am torn between the two views. This religion has exsisted for nearly as long as our own, and it has shown no hostility towards us. However, Devils are powerful creatures and their scheming could have set us on a crash course. Saxum is worshipped as an earth diety. This points to a nature spirit of some sort. Of course, Devils generally operate from the darkness of the earth's bowel, in a futile effort to hide themselves from Requesta. A Devil would also be aware of our views on Daemons and Devils, and might portray himself as a Daemon in order to try to use that against us in an attempt to divide the Church. I think more study of this religion and the behavior of its members will be needed to determine whether or not we are dealing with a Daemon or Devil.

If you have views on this new religion that you could share with myself, I would be eager to hear them.

Thank you for taking the time to read my musings,
oA. O. de' Medici

----
For reference: church-of-requesta-t4765/
Caelitus Mihi Vires

Return to Lore Section