The Duchy of Wessex - Kingdom of Hyperion

For the sole purpose of guilds recruiting members.
Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Re: The Duchy of Wessex - Kingdom of Hyperion

Post by Azzerhoden » 30 Apr 2017, 14:03

PRIESTS
Are friars or deacons that have passed the sacerdotal examination or by demonstrating that they have the knowledge and capability to act as a fixture of the faith within the community. They must be ordained by a bishop. The form of address for a priest is "Reverend Father" or "Reverend Mother”.

The priests main role is to oversee the mental and physical health of all those who follow the faith and they should spread the word wherever they go, and offer guidance to those who seek it. As such the position of priest can be quite role play intensive. You must know how to address members of the clergy and also secular society with the correct titles, be able to offer guidance and help in matters of Dogma and Lore to the friars and deacons and be ready to lead people in worship.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 07 May 2017, 02:59

THE BISHOP (prelate), or Lord Spiritual[, leads the faithful in his diocese, and oversees all matters religious in nature. A diocese roughly equates to the territory controlled by the bishop’s shire.

Bishops have seats in both the House of Lords and the Ecumenical Council. Bishops are allowed to own property in the form of a temporarily. It's like a fief, only given to the Bishops of the Church. Collectively the Bishops act as land owning agents on behalf of the Church.

The Bishop is a lord of society and is addressed as "His Excellency" at first and "my lord" thereafter.

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Rhade
True Believer

Post by Rhade » 08 May 2017, 07:18

So. Much. Virginity.

Can't wait to wreck you guys again, like we did in Darkfall.

See you soon.

Rhade Letalis

Black Shields

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 13 May 2017, 05:10

Rhade wrote:So. Much. Virginity.

Can't wait to wreck you guys again, like we did in Darkfall.

See you soon.

LOL, Pup.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 16 May 2017, 03:43

The ECUMENICAL COUNCIL determines the dogma, lore and laws of the church by two-thirds majority vote. Bishops from other kingdoms or nations that share our religion would also sit on this council. From amongst their number they will nominate a candidate for archbishop whose ordainment must be approved by the King.

The archbishop is a minister in the Royal Cabinet and has a vote in the House of Lords. An archbishop’s vote carries the power of veto. The archbishop is addressed as “your Grace” at first and “my lord” thereafter.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 21 May 2017, 03:44

CLERICAL TITLES
Here's a quick description of the subset classes that clergy members can have. This has no effect on your rank as it is simply a descriptor for the work you do. The various positions are there to assist the bishop with the administration of the church lands and buildings.

ABBOTS are the Masters of an Order of Friars that has been granted an Abbey. The Order holds it as a temporarily, administrated by the Abbot.

His form of address is "the Right Reverend".

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 May 2017, 14:24

CLERICS are members who have a position in the ducal cabinet. They may be priests, deacons or friars.

CHAPLAINS are priests and deacons who serve in a military position by either being in a military order, or joining a secular army for a campaign.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 04 Jun 2017, 01:34

MASTER OF THE ORDER are friars that choose to form a spiritual order, and elect from among their members a "leader", or the Bishop may found an order and assign someone to lead it. This person then becomes the Master of the Order.

The Master may be a priest, deacon or a friar but must be ordained upon founding the order. If the Order is granted or conquers land the Master would also assume the position of Abbot or Prior depending on the size of the holding.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 10 Jun 2017, 22:04

PARSONS are members of the clergy who serve as the head of the church in a county. They are styled "the Reverend Father". This person answers only to the Bishop and must be ordained as a Priest.

PRIORS are members of the clergy who have been granted a priory to run or members who have been assigned by an Abbot to help them run their Abbey. They may be friars, deacons, or priests. Addressed as "the Very Reverend".

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 17 Jun 2017, 17:43

RECTORS are members of the clergy assigned to teach deacons. They may only be priests and are styled "the Very Reverend Father”.

VICARS are members who serve as the second in command to the Bishop. There is only one per diocese, and he answers only to the Bishop. If a bishop becomes an archbishop the vicar will assume full responsibility of the shire while the archbishop serves in the Royal Cabinet. They may only be a priest and are styled "the Very Reverend ".

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 24 Jun 2017, 01:06

SPIRITUAL ORDERS
All clergy belong to an Order depending on their role. Members are allowed to transfer from one type of Order to another. All Orders must be granted a charter, adopt a Rule and pledge allegiance to the church. There are three types of spiritual orders:

MILITARY ORDERS are made up of warrior monks and knights who serve the church. Sometimes a Military Order will have an obligation of obedience to the king (or in our case, the various lords) as they will more than likely be dependent on operating on land which belongs to them. It is possible for a military order to become a shire itself if it grows large enough in both manpower and territory.

The Master of a military order would be a church knight, as would his senior lieutenants if they have distinguished themselves militarily, however, only the Master would be ordained and be guaranteed to hold the rank of priest. However, not all members of a military order are knights. In fact, most of them are friars. To join as a friar the member must pass the friar examination.

MENDICANT ORDERS are what friars in the church belong to by default. If there are significant numbers of friars they may be granted a monastery. The monastery could either be an abbey or priory. Abbeys will oft time have more friars and control larger landholdings, potentially encompassing a village, whereas a Priory would be much smaller or dependent on an abbey.

CANONICAL ORDERS are basically the staff of people who oversee a particular church building. Such an Order will fall under the direction of a vicar or priest and friars, deacons would be members.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 30 Jun 2017, 00:55

MILITARY
The military body of Wessex is divided into three branches, the Garrison, the Rangers, and the Navy. Any trial or full member may enlist in the garrison, while only villeins and freeman may enlist in the other two. In the Duchy of Wessex everyone is expected to defend the lands of His Grace using any available means possible, even at the risk of loss of items being carried.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 04 Jul 2017, 13:59

The RANGERS are responsible for policing the territory outside the cities, towns and roadways to provide our people with early warning of hostiles as well as managing the Duchy’s forests and wild game populations. During armed conflict they also serve as advanced scouts or ranged skirmishing units. They report directly to the Warden.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 06 Aug 2017, 00:08

The NAVY protects the Duchy from invading armies traveling by ship, raiders, and sea pirates, organized around fleets and individual war ships. The Navy is led by the ducal cabinet position of Admiral.

The GARRISON protects the cities and towns within the duchy, as well as the roads and forts within its borders under the Constable and is organized into a Lance. A Lance consists of a paviser, a pikeman, and a bowman and is most often lead by a serjeant, but sometimes by an officer instead.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 13 Aug 2017, 15:39

A Twenty is made up of 3 to 6 lances and is normally led by an officer or first serjeant. A Company is made up of multiple twenties and led by the highest available officer with junior officers moved to leading each lance. Should there be a need, multiple companies can be organized into Battalions, which would then be led by the highest available officer.

Available militia serve in separate units under command of the garrison.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 26 Aug 2017, 16:30

FOOTMEN and SAILORS are villeins or freemen that have enlisted in the garrison and have passed basic training. Serfs may join the garrison only as a footman, but do so as militia.

Footmen may be promoted by the Constable, or approved officers after demonstrating that they can follow orders, have an understanding of the Wessex military structure, know what ‘coms discipline’ means and are competent fighters.

The Constable may implement additional requirements to determine promotion to armsman or serjeant as long as the basic tenants of discipline and player skill are maintained.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 31 Aug 2017, 03:04

ARMSMAN, SCOUTS and SEAMAN are professional soldiers of the shire from amongst the villein and freemen social classes. They are the backbone of each branch and are experienced, capable fighters with sufficiently developed characters.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 01 Sep 2017, 13:09

SERJEANTS, RANGERS and MIDSHIPMAN are exceptional in combat and demonstrate the consistent leadership qualities that separate them from the normal armsman. They typically lead a lance.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 04 Sep 2017, 23:40

FIRST SERJEANTs and the SERJEANT MAJOR are the elite from amongst the serjeants and would lead a Twenty, Company, or possible a Battalion as a non-commissioned officer should no officer be available. These titles are consistent across each branch and both are granted the freeman status. Both can be elevated to knighthood directly by the Duke without going through the squirage process.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 12 Sep 2017, 21:25

MILITIA. When un-enlisted serfs, villeins or freemen join the garrison in battle they will be classed as militia, which are combat ready civilians. This means they have the gear to fight in a battle, but little training. A militia unit is typically lead by a lieutenant.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 15 Sep 2017, 19:03

OFFICERS
Officers provide leadership and are directly responsible for all activity by each member in the military. The highest military authority in the shire is the Duke and his second-in-command is the Constable.

The chain of command is thus: The Duke > Constable > Warden/Admiral > Commander/Commodore > Captain > Marshal/Forester/First-Mate > Lieutenant/Mate > Serjeant Major > First Serjeant > Serjeants > Armsman.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 23 Sep 2017, 02:56

CAVALIERS are by default any member of the gentry not officially enlisted in a military branch or who is visiting another county and thus has no military rank within that county.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 Sep 2017, 02:02

LIEUTENANTS and MATES are thanes, baronets or esquires that have been designated as a second or a stand-in for the Constable or Captain in a county. This person will most often be the favorite of a certain lord. The rank of lieutenant or mate is only applicable in the county in which it was granted.

Everettham
Alpha Tester

Looking for guild

Post by Everettham » 10 Oct 2017, 22:20

I couldn't find anyway to privately message a leader of DoW. So i'm going to leave this message here.
I'm currently seeking a guild. I'm going to be contacting a number of guilds and going with the best option that fits my playstyle. I'm only interested in joining a guild with the following features below.
1. North American Server
2. The MMO will have private land plots. Therefore i'm looking for a guild that allows most members private land.
3. I'm looking for a guild where nearly all gold and items will be private. Players can store their items and gold in their own small house or private room. Because their is an local trading post in the game this will function well.
4. As for other ways the guild functions i'm very movable on.
If your guild plans to slowly transition to this playstyle in the MMO. Then that is fine with me to.
If I can't find a suitable option then I might consider making my own guild. But I probably won't as leading a guild is a lot of work.
You can also contact me through steam "Steel76".

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Re: Looking for guild

Post by Azzerhoden » 11 Oct 2017, 05:16

Everettham wrote:I couldn't find anyway to privately message a leader of DoW. So i'm going to leave this message here.
I'm currently seeking a guild. I'm going to be contacting a number of guilds and going with the best option that fits my playstyle. I'm only interested in joining a guild with the following features below.
1. North American Server
2. The MMO will have private land plots. Therefore i'm looking for a guild that allows most members private land.

Sorry. A few private claims may be established, but those will be to protect assets belonging to Wessex and access for all Wessex members will be given. Other entities within the Kingdom of Hyperion may allow private claims, but Wessex will not. At some point we might allow players to go setup their own personal claim, but that will largely depend on the difficulties of removing those claims should the need arise.

Everettham wrote:3. I'm looking for a guild where nearly all gold and items will be private. Players can store their items and gold in their own small house or private room. Because their is an local trading post in the game this will function well.

Sorry, no. We play as a team. Each craftsmen will be creating items for the good of the guild, for mutual defense, for mutual growth. In fact, the items in a trading post are only safe for as long as that trading post exists. You cannot expect to be well defended if you want to be able to mine Duchy resources at will and profit by it. In fact, I am so disappointed with how trading posts currently function I am debating whether to have one at all.

Everettham wrote:4. As for other ways the guild functions i'm very movable on.
If your guild plans to slowly transition to this playstyle in the MMO. Then that is fine with me to.
If I can't find a suitable option then I might consider making my own guild. But I probably won't as leading a guild is a lot of work.
You can also contact me through steam "Steel76".

Exactly. A successful guild takes a lot of work, not just by leadership, but by everyone who is part of the guild. We will play as a team, we will fight as a team, and, if someone attacks us, will win or lose as a team. While games like Darkfall and EvE encouraged individual players seeking their own wealth while contributing to a larger ideal, LIF is different. That same play style will not be successful in this game. In LIF, if you are not all in with the rest of your guildies, you will not have success.

Rashcroft

Post by Rashcroft » 11 Oct 2017, 15:24

Hello, I'm a new player to LIFYO, looking forward to the MMO. I am interested in joining up with the Duchy of Wessex. I noticed that the Duchy operates a private server. Is it possible to reach someone in-game? Or perhaps a discord server? In addition, what can I expect as to the process of joining the Duchy?

Thanks,

Rashcroft

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 20 Oct 2017, 18:43

Welcome to Wessex!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 29 Oct 2017, 15:34

MARSHALS, FORESTERS and FIRST MATES are specially designated lieutenants assigned by the appropriate branch leader and have a ‘half rank’ above a lieutenant and mate so that they can carry out the assigned duties of the Constable, Warden or Admiral.

Quette4000
Devoted Believer

Post by Quette4000 » 02 Nov 2017, 13:43

2 weeks everyone woohoo!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 05 Nov 2017, 21:47

CAPTAINS are knights most often seen leading a Twenty or Company, though they can also lead a Lance or Battalion when needed.

COMMANDERS and COMMODORES are nobility who lead battalions or fleets for His Grace under the command of the Constable, Forester, or Admiral. Typically these positions are not filled unless there is great need. A Lord who has other knights sworn in fealty to them may also be given this title.

Return to Guild Recruitment