FOREST DEATH

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Mak74

FOREST DEATH

Post by Mak74 » 11 May 2017, 06:02

I don't know is the right place, but the forest maintenance is bugged, broken don't fuction.......many player have seen the death of all the trees like oak and apple tree, changing the aspect of the server......A DESERT. when the winter finish, the quality of trees become under 10 quality.......after.........some days and all the tree at south and in many section of map disappeared............OK dev the game at this state is unplayable, only solution seem a whipe.....fix this algoritm, please....... better some lag for the many trees on the map, but a desert is not a solution.........i know some admin try a solution, but is normal?.....don't is the job of an admin.....is the job of a dev......try a solution fast PLEASE!

Losthorizon350
Beta Tester

Re: FOREST DEATH

Post by Losthorizon350 » 11 May 2017, 06:37

Mak74 wrote:I don't know is the right place, but the forest maintenance is bugged, broken don't fuction.......many player have seen the death of all the trees like oak and apple tree, changing the aspect of the server......A DESERT. when the winter finish, the quality of trees become under 10 quality.......after.........some days and all the tree at south and in many section of map disappeared............OK dev the game at this state is unplayable, only solution seem a whipe.....fix this algoritm, please....... better some lag for the many trees on the map, but a desert is not a solution.........i know some admin try a solution, but is normal?.....don't is the job of an admin.....is the job of a dev......try a solution fast PLEASE!

Dunno, I don't have such problems on my West. Yep, we've lost a plenty of wood after the winter, but not as much as you describe.

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 11 May 2017, 08:07

Dunno, the forest algoritm don't fuction, you lose the tree and become desert, see discussion on steam, many other player and admin have this problem, with time the server have no trees, only pine and fir remain, oak and other trees disappear.......your server is wiped recently?, is new...?.....wait some time.....i see a lot of server with this issue, and wipe for this......the patch for the forest is broken......see the picture i attach to this post.......
Attachments
deserto.jpg
DESERTO LIF
deserto.jpg (125.72 KiB) Viewed 9809 times

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 11 May 2017, 12:41

Hey, could you please send a report with all the details and DB export to helpme@lifeisfeudal.com? Once we have that we will be able to investigate your issue.

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 11 May 2017, 21:59

Dear Arrakis, i'm only a player, i don't have time to spend for convince you and the dev, ask many player if you would, or admin, travel in different server, see the disaster of this algoritm, for me is ok, the problem is yours.....if you resolve i'm happy, if you don't resolve is same, i play another game until the fix is online with new patch. thank again

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 12 May 2017, 19:59

It's not about convincing anyone, it's about data that we need to see in order to find out what is wrong. Without that data, we can't really do anything to help you. It seems that what you're basically saying right now is "I have a problem, solve it now! But I won't give you anything that will help!"

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 12 May 2017, 23:50

My english is not good i think......sorry Arrakis, i try to told you and dev, this problem is not only mine, but in general, many server i visited have the same problem.......many has wipe in April......don't strange?....see the new forest patch, after winter the trees start to vanished, first the quality become max 10, after.........DESERT, i post you a picture on the server i played, but i repeat is not only my problem, is a problem in general, a problem can cause a wipe of the server......

MasterChief
True Believer

Post by MasterChief » 13 May 2017, 07:37

private servers use mostly TreeAgingSpeed =4 for trees (player dont want to wait 2 and more weeks to cut the trees) means they grow 4 time faster than in MMO,
max tree age is around 330 days, like in MMO, so if u use 4x time in private server , trees only last up to 15 RL, not like 40 RL in MMO,
so they die faster than they regrow, your server admin should raise the maxtreeage for the server, if u dont want a desert.

Elgar

Post by Elgar » 13 May 2017, 14:15

MasterChief wrote:private servers use mostly TreeAgingSpeed =4 for trees (player dont want to wait 2 and more weeks to cut the trees) means they grow 4 time faster than in MMO,
max tree age is around 330 days, like in MMO, so if u use 4x time in private server , trees only last up to 15 RL, not like 40 RL in MMO,
so they die faster than they regrow, your server admin should raise the maxtreeage for the server, if u dont want a desert.

330 / 4 = 82.5 in-game days x 3 real hours = 247.5 real hours = 10.3 real days, not 15. Or am I missing something ?

Very interesting subject by the way. I have also forest death issue on my server and I try to find the best balance.
"Life is Feudal punches you in the mouth and then laughs at you for bleeding." - Saxxon

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 13 May 2017, 23:21

ok listen, i see and play a server vanilla (x1 velocity) after the patch of forest.....now is a semi-desert, with all the trees under or same 10 quality......the speed you intend, don't change nothing, only the server have more time first to become a desert, only this, but the dead of all trees is inevitable......but the word is finished, stop, for me is ok, continue to wipe server and good game.

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 14 May 2017, 12:27

Here another picture of another server........beauty, good, very good, beautiful landscape......please FIX THIS HORRIBLE THING!!!! no need the Db of this or another server......rewind the algoritm with old times, only this!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
20170514135529_1.jpg
20170514135529_1.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 9687 times

MasterChief
True Believer

Post by MasterChief » 14 May 2017, 13:14

Elgar wrote:
MasterChief wrote:private servers use mostly TreeAgingSpeed =4 for trees (player dont want to wait 2 and more weeks to cut the trees) means they grow 4 time faster than in MMO,

330 / 4 = 82.5 in-game days x 3 real hours = 247.5 real hours = 10.3 real days, not 15. Or am I missing something ?

Very interesting subject by the way. I have also forest death issue on my server and I try to find the best balance.

your math is correct, dont worry, was writing out of head here, coz had to leave work.

as far you can see in forest_maintenance.xml there are different density zones, north has a lot of forest and higher density, the south is like a desert with very low tree density, a lot of undergrowth and trees just here and there, u can try to raise the density, aswell.

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 14 May 2017, 16:00

no admin have the mission to cure the bug in the mechanic of game; all the admin of server is very good person, open a server with theirs money, with theirs time, spend a lot of days and month to help player to join the community of Lif, to play, no server official, only help needed is the admin take care of it...........stop this.....a bug is a bug, like Heraldry, if dev bugged some mechanics of game, the dev have the obligation to repair or fix this error, no the admin. this is another picture of another server........only pine and fir is here.......Santa Claus is very happy to live in this server.....but Santa Claus.....
Attachments
20170514160758_1.jpg
20170514160758_1.jpg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 9683 times

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 16 May 2017, 09:18

this days of silence don't change my idea on the problem of forest, here another pictures of a server / desert......you intend to continue with this road to transform the beautiful landscape of this game in a slezy picture of death nature?......ok continue....the number of player online totally in a day speak over me.....
Attachments
20170516110707_1.jpg
20170516110707_1.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 9673 times
20170516110734_1.jpg
20170516110734_1.jpg (51.58 KiB) Viewed 9673 times

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 17 May 2017, 07:16

Mak74 wrote:if dev bugged some mechanics of game, the dev have the obligation to repair or fix this error, no the admin. this is another picture of another server........only pine and fir is here.......Santa Claus is very happy to live in this server.....but Santa Claus.....

Well administrated server do not have this issue. When server admins fuck up their config files, thats what they get. Do not blame devs for self caused problems...

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 17 May 2017, 08:10

but what you talk about?......server vanilla with no modify have the same issue, the forest death......ok?.....here some other picture, one of a server test of mine friend with the algoritm fixed, and one of a famous server with a lot of player......(naturally the server with a lot of tree is of my friend).....and don't talk if you don't say the problem, why a lot of server wiped at April?......Why?.....you go, travel to server on server, and see with your eyes.....all the server have this issue, before or after.....it's only a matter of time....don't change nothing.....the tree become old, change the quality to 10, and vanished lefting map with no oak, apple tree and other, only pine and fir remain......

VOTE THE BETTER LANDSCAPE!!!!!
Attachments
20170517095630_1.jpg
20170517095630_1.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 9668 times
20170517094938_1.jpg
20170517094938_1.jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 9668 times
20170517094953_1.jpg
20170517094953_1.jpg (76.68 KiB) Viewed 9668 times

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 17 May 2017, 08:53

Mak74 wrote:why a lot of server wiped at April?

Not more wipes than usual. Where are all this wipes because auf forest death, give some source.

Mak74 wrote:you go, travel to server on server, and see with your eyes

All Servers(10+) on my fav List which are online for month without wipe do not have that issue. But these server have admins who know basic stuff, maybe thats your problem.

Mak74 wrote:the tree become old, change the quality to 10, and vanished lefting map with no oak, apple tree and other, only pine and fir remain......

Thats how the system works, old trees die, nothing unusual. On a pure vanilla server tree regrowth is faster than death rate, forest is actually growing after a fresh start.
Actually there is not a single pure vanilla server with active players, most servers did changes to forest.xml and that is the common problem. Do not change the multi alone, this way death rate is higher than regrowth rate.

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 17 May 2017, 09:43

you told there is no issue on the forest.....ok if you continue with your idea ok, for me i told you i see a server vanilla in test, and told you without nothing in change in the forest maintenance the forest death after the winter, tree become 10 and less of quality and vanished all simultaneously, left only hazel, pine and fir, with time but this is the thing i see, is inevitable velocity x1 or x4 or x10......the algoritm don't spawn tree in number equal to the desertification occur after winter, this is the true, if you don't believe for me is not important, the player online in total speak over me.....if you and many continue to not see the problem is same, it's real and only the dev fix it, not you and not me. if you would to convince me travel in the vary server with about 3 months of live and post me a photos of the forest, and if you found a forest like the server test of my friend i finish this post, but the server vanilla with no help of admin, and about 2-3 month of life, 1 winter almost finish....

PS : Look better in the first photos of this topic.....DESERTO LIF.....you notice nothing strange?......NO YOUNG TREES has planted the server.....in all the south i count 10-20 tree young growth.....only HAZEL!!!!!......the algoritm don't replant better, a few trees, in confront of the desertification occur after winter.....look better at the photo.........

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 17 May 2017, 14:11

Mak74 wrote:the algoritm don't replant better, a few trees, in confront of the desertification occur after winter.....look better at the photo.........

Since when winter is related to tree growth? My testserver saw a few winter so long and forest is doing well. Forest changed to the biom system, with less trees and places with more trees, but no forest death.

If this is a bug regardless to any changes, every server would have the same effect, but that is not the case.

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 17 May 2017, 22:20

post a photos of a server with 2 months almost and some winter finished, and if is same at the forest of my photos of test server i stop my discussion here, but the server you chose where is no admin help,......
if you don't post nothing, i have reason and you stop to respond with futile conversation......

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 19 May 2017, 06:35

COMPETITION : Build a house here

Welcome to the new competition for Life is Feudal, build a house in this land desolate........if anyone have an idea how build a house (a castle is impossible) post here.

Plant?......yes with the velocity of the new patch i build a house after 30 days, or i call Gm and ask the favor to make home for me......, or i take a horse and search all the poor tree remain, or i change game.

there is someone again defend this algoritm?

In the meantime the dev don't resolve nothing, same Heraldry. GOOD

PS : to the left is a claim, i don't take the wood here naturally
Attachments
20170517095407_1.jpg
20170517095407_1.jpg (44.02 KiB) Viewed 9803 times

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 19 May 2017, 11:44

We would really love to help you if you'd actually allow us to do that. But you prefer to just keep spamming here instead of spending a moment to send us the data we need in order to investigate your issue.

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 19 May 2017, 22:47

Dear Arrakis, i stop now to post for this issue, i have no time to waste anymore, this problem is not only my problem, it's a problem of all the servers, for me i stop this discussion i don't want to offend or attack anyone, if you and the dev would to see this personally join a server with a two months and see with your eyes....or remain the game in this state for me is same.

Dobbles

Post by Dobbles » 25 May 2017, 16:19

In all fairness Arrakis you keep asking him for log files and he is just a player not an administrator. While he certainly could be more helpful and provide server names or something, he can't get you what you want regardless.

I have also seen the issue. I am a player in this server: https://life-is-feudal.org/server/13316/ and I believe the admin tried tweaking settings to grow trees faster. Because of that we had a large tree death and since then, for the southern part of the island, very few trees grow and they are almost always hazel. Other parts of the map appear fine.

I can't provide logs as I am just a player, but just wanted to add additional feedback.

Elgar

Post by Elgar » 25 May 2017, 20:37

It's an "issue" with every single server using vanilla settings. At first you start with a dense and varied forest, then after some weeks there is a massive death of a lot of trees. After that your forest will slowly grow again, but you'll never get back the same original forest, because - unfortunately, IMHO - it's designed that way.

In fact, the optimal and future state of your forest, as designed by devs, is ruled by the cm_forest_maintenance.xml file in your server data. Open this file and read it carefully in order to understand it. It defines the density of forest depending on the region, the max age of trees, the growth rate, etc.

You can of course adjust these settings according to your taste. At least, increase the TreeAgingSpeed setting in order to have trees growing faster : 3 is a good value, we use it on our server.

I understand your frustration. After this massive death we were very disappointed but we didn't wipe the server and now, after almost 4 months, state of forest is correct, even if it's very far from its original condition. FYI the only setting we changed in cm_forest_maintenance.xml is TreeAgingSpeed, so apart from growth speed we're still using vanilla settings.

If you make a little search here and in Steam forum, you'll see that this subject was heavily discussed.
"Life is Feudal punches you in the mouth and then laughs at you for bleeding." - Saxxon

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 25 May 2017, 21:43

but if dev left the forest on original state no????, for why change forest like a desert, and after 4 months a little vegetation but not same great and beautiful forest with great atmosphere? this algoritm is bad and don't like, the dev FIx this, don't the admin of server, and for me this discussion is futile until the dev don't listen to player.

Losthorizon350
Beta Tester

Post by Losthorizon350 » 26 May 2017, 05:57

Mak74 wrote:but if dev left the forest on original state no????, for why change forest like a desert, and after 4 months a little vegetation but not same great and beautiful forest with great atmosphere? this algoritm is bad and don't like, the dev FIx this, don't the admin of server, and for me this discussion is futile until the dev don't listen to player.

Ahem. Well. Great atmosphere in the forest is great indeed. Still, don't your forget that the trees out there are not a prop. It should be cut in order to make stuff. And yes, after the wood has been cut to the root, not all the trees will grow back as they were. Just like IRL.

Mak74

Post by Mak74 » 26 May 2017, 18:16

Uff, i'm very annoyng of this discussion......a desert is a desert, what chop if the a large of tree in the server death.....Hazel?.....defend this algoritm is not productive........i post this problem, but i only see person defend this horrible thing, stop for me, enjoy the desert, and good game

Return to General Discussion