Things I think the building system needs

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!
TheHelleri

Things I think the building system needs

Post by TheHelleri » 16 Jun 2017, 06:14

1) Get rid of the position box. Objects would be much easier to position if they had handles on them that the player could hold down and drag. That would be ideal. But alternatively you could make how the position box functions more easily relatable to the object it's acting upon and make the position box more functional in general.

For instance:
Those arrows just don't work well. If I could hover my mouse on one of the translation arrows And see an arrow pop up on the tile showing me which way either clicking on (I should be able to click on either side of the arrow) or holding down that side of the arrow will move the object. That would be much more informative about what the object will do given the direction I am facing.

If the rotation arrows were a dial that I had to actually rotate with my mouse. And if that dial had snap-to marks on the outside of it that I could hold and drag my mouse to, that would make precise rotation a whole lot easier.

2) Objects need to be consistent in how they are rotated and translated. One example of where this has gone horrible wrong is the lamp post. It has an odd rotational axis with snapping translation movement. This can make lamp posts infuriating to get them to where you actually want them. And you usually have to settle for less than ideal positioning.

3) Objects need to be consistent in their collision mechanics. If there was absolutely no way to intrude an object into another object, that would make sense. But it simply isn't like that. Most things can no longer be built or placed inside a wall. But some things like the Oven can be. Some things really should be able to be intruded into other objects or terrain (like stone steps).

4) Eliminate general inconsistencies with like objects. The perfect example for this is with fences. Both stone and wooden fences have a wicket. A wattle fence does not. Yet a wattle fence can be built on a slopped but flat tile. A stone fence cannot.

5) Make icons in the Select an Object menus able to be dragged and dropped onto an available ability bar slot. I get that some of the grind in this game is about tedium. But having to go back and scroll through a menu each time to place an object (especially when doing a lot of the same object) is ridiculous.

Alternatively make a right click option under the related building skill called Build Last which would automatically bring up the last object you placed a build spot for on the relevant tile and the position box for that object.

Also a jump to for the scroll using the letter keys (like W to go to the W section of that menu) would make organizing them alphabetically (instead of by type) actually helpful.none of the letter keys are really that useful with that select an object box in your face anyway.

6) Make a ghost build mode option somewhere. Something we can enable that will show us a mostly transparent and non-solid version of the object we want to build. It would be something only players with that feature enabled would see. And only if they placed that build spot (when outside of a claim) or are part of the same guild (when inside the claim).

7) Give us a second axis of rotation. Because we should be able to place something on a slope without it looking like it's defying the laws of physics in a world that is supposed to be at least somewhat realistic. It would make stacking object more efficient. It would make add-ons to buildings more realistic and interesting (such being able to have a platform based on a lower object on one end and a higher object on the other end). And it would make sieges more interesting (less predictable).

8) Observer mode has turned bad. Revert that. Being able to pan your view out a long way is and not having it bumped to all kinds of weird distances based on how you rotate the camera and what other objects are in frame. And not being able to walk more than a tile without being thrown out of build mode is ridiculous.

Return to Feedback Section