Development News #56 - ‘Progress on the Newbie Island Experience’

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #56 - ‘Progress on the Newbie Island Experience’

Post by Arrakis » 16 Jun 2017, 17:00

Hey Feudalists!

While the team is super busy improving the game's stability and eliminating bugs, some members of our art team have been working on Newbie Island. Since you saw the first concepts, we have created a lot of new decorations and are currently developing the level design.

We have put together a short video to show you how it looks at the current stage:

Players' characters will spawn on a vast shallow water bay, amid a graveyard of ships. Not far from there is a local village, where players can learn some basics about the game. A little further — the tower with the Ferryman inside. He is responsible for the transfer of characters from Newbie Island to Abella. The monumental tower can be seen from every corner of the island, so you can not get lost.

There is a lot of strangeness on the Newbie Archipelago. You can not spill blood anywhere on these islands (except for the ancient arena). Crops will ripen faster, but all buildings and mines collapse once a week. The weather is unique on the islands, and the inhabitants are equally as strange. You’ll also find the tide is far too strong for you to swim away from the islands.

Another task that we’re working on is the creation of beginners' quests with dialogue and a new tutorial. In total we plan to introduce around ten NPCs - we'll share more info about them next time!

Stay tuned!

- The team

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Re: Development News #56 - ‘Progress on the Newbie Island Experience’

Post by Khan- » 16 Jun 2017, 17:01

Disponible en Français : sur Lifeisfeudal-fr.com

:D
Last edited by Khan- on 16 Jun 2017, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Saar
Zealous Believer

Post by Saar » 16 Jun 2017, 17:02

Traduction française disponible sur vonCulm.fr

BraeBlindheart
True Believer

Post by BraeBlindheart » 16 Jun 2017, 19:06

So with the weird looking tower thing that looks like something out of the avengers....Are we going to get magic too....If so let me know so I can uninstall...

Bran34
Beta Tester

Post by Bran34 » 16 Jun 2017, 19:13

Thebloodyfriar wrote:So with the weird looking tower thing that looks like something out of the avengers....Are we going to get magic too....If so let me know so I can uninstall...

Bit of an overreaction there m8!

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 16 Jun 2017, 19:44

teleporting isn't magic... ?

it's the newbies island, you shouldn't play there for more than... never.
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 17 Jun 2017, 01:12

:good:
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 17 Jun 2017, 04:04

Nice trailer.
A tower, visible from every point of the island for people to orient themselves, great idea. Tower itself build out of recked ships? Magical or cool, however you describe it's well design. You should see the rocking chair I build for myself, kind of similar. :)
besides what else would you suggest?

Teleportation magic? Don't think so, just necessity. Unless ships that can take you to the main land are implemented, I don't see other way to do it.
Ships would be cool but than you would have to figure out how to prevent people from coming to the Island from main land.

I think is all well done, good design, thanks developers
any news on when the next MMO starts?

Xzg0
True Believer

Post by Xzg0 » 17 Jun 2017, 07:42

XENO TAVERN
TS: ts3.xenotavern.com
http://youtube.com/xenotavern
http://facebook.com/XenoTavern
Zapraszamy umiłowanych w PvP i coop.

SirWinston
Alpha Tester

Post by SirWinston » 17 Jun 2017, 10:55

Khan- wrote:teleporting isn't magic... ?

I must have missed the invention of the teleportation machine. :D

Thebloodyfriar wrote:So with the weird looking tower thing that looks like something out of the avengers....Are we going to get magic too....If so let me know so I can uninstall...

I wouldn't go as far as uninstalling just for that but I kinda agree that a huge teleporting tower is really weird in the context of a "no fantasy" medieval game. Immersion and "no magic, no orcs, no dragons" were selling points for Life is Feudal. That's why many people came to this game from Mount & Blade or the Total War series.

I thought the lore of the game and the new gods were fairytales and legendary stories, now it seems like it's a "real" thing that we can use and experience in the game world.

Don't get me wrong the artists did a great job and the area looks pretty, but why this huge pillar of light ?
A big tower would have been enough to use as a visual marker, and New Characters could just give their ticket to a NPC next to a boat then get transported to the continent this way. The crossing itself could just be a loading screen you don't have to actually experience it.
Spoiler

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 17 Jun 2017, 13:09

First of all, it is very important to remember that in video games, the line between fantasy and fictional religion is very thin. Second thing, if you read the lore, you would see how this makes sense. It is a purgatory world after all, not a place to live, but world 'in between' pretty much governed by a Holur, The Ferryman. 'Newbie Island' is a working name for that world, and it will be changed in near future to better reflect its purpose and nature.

Excerpt from Lore Stories:

The Ferryman is a greedy Holur, taking all the Sparks the other Holurs have been unable to divide amongst themselves to the threshold of the Gods, the purgatory world. Under no circumstances will the ferry someone back.

This purgatory world is built to determine which God will receive each of the Sparks that arrive there.

Whether you and your character embrace this purgatory world as something real or as a fairytale, it's up to you and you alone. You can as well ignore it completely and forget about its existence. It's a matter of personal tastes really.

If someone feels bad about this anyway, look at this from this perspective - a player is only supposed to spend there enough time to learn the game mechanics and/or decide whether it's the game he wants to purchase, and then move on to the Abella, world governed by politics and war waged by players.

SirWinston
Alpha Tester

Post by SirWinston » 17 Jun 2017, 13:30

I guess it makes sense from a lore point of view if you consider Newbie Island as a parallel dimension/purgatory, I always thought of it as an actual island like Abella, where you could come and go as you please.
Spoiler

Sebbbbyocum

Post by Sebbbbyocum » 18 Jun 2017, 21:28

Edited:
Last edited by Sebbbbyocum on 15 Nov 2017, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 18 Jun 2017, 22:44

Wasting time on this instead of adding stuff the game actually needs, now i see why people complain this development never finishes games.

No working trade posts or horse-drawn carts yet, but this? And what is this by the way? It looks like some fantasy/magic nonsense. If this is the direction the game will be headed please give me prompt time to request a refund on YO.

that's a bit too harsh don't you think?

Newbie island is important, both for you and for developers. New players are important. Average game has about one month "half-life" expectancy (this one hopefully much, much longer). if a game is not presentable enough to attract new people, soon you will find yourself pretty lonely on the vast servers of open world.

besides what we seen in a trailer was a design. Pictures from previous news suggest that the design for trade posts or horse-drawn carts is already finished, now it's for the programers to make it work. That's different people. Designers are done, yet, instead of spending time in local Starbacks they trying to come up with something new for us to complain about.

I don't understand, why would you want to get refund on YO? it's a separate game. there is no Newbie island there or wreck-ship tower. And since you spend some hours playing it and still want to continue on MMO I guess you like it. I would say YO already makes it worth.
it's like requesting money back for an original movie because you don't like the second part.

besides, we can all help them to create a better game by posting some more or less good ideas so they don't have to spend hours wondering what we may or may not want.

Return to Development News