Speed of tree growth in LIF:YO

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

DarkArchaon

Speed of tree growth in LIF:YO

Post by DarkArchaon » 28 Jun 2017, 15:42

I had been just coming back to play LIF:YO and it seems that the tree growth is very very slow. I am just wondering how long does it takes for a tree to grow from to a Major status, especially those with high quality?

Is the Dev team gonna to make any changes, to it, like a setting or GM command?

Thanks.

SnowSharky

Re: Speed of tree growth in LIF:YO

Post by SnowSharky » 28 Jun 2017, 20:21

So tree growth now has its own separate setting file (cm_forest_maintenance.xml) that sets things like the growth speed, density, quality, as well as a few other settings. Overall, yes, it is slower growth by default unless the servers admins modify it.
On a server with its aging speed turned up to 10 (max recommended), think it takes about 19 in game days for an oak (longest grow time) to hit mature. Most other trees around 11-13 in game days.

DarkArchaon

Post by DarkArchaon » 30 Jun 2017, 15:33

SnowSharky wrote:So tree growth now has its own separate setting file (cm_forest_maintenance.xml) that sets things like the growth speed, density, quality, as well as a few other settings. Overall, yes, it is slower growth by default unless the servers admins modify it.
On a server with its aging speed turned up to 10 (max recommended), think it takes about 19 in game days for an oak (longest grow time) to hit mature. Most other trees around 11-13 in game days.

Thanks SnowSharky for the info. 3 questions:

1. I can find a area to turn up the aging speed in the server beginning page. Do I need to modify it in the file you mentioned, or is there a GM command?

2. Will there be any consequences if the speed is modified? I heard the forest will be gone and no trees will be growing

3. Where can I found this cm_forest_maintenance.xml file?

Thanks a lot!

SnowSharky

Post by SnowSharky » 30 Jun 2017, 22:28

DarkArchaon wrote:1. I can find a area to turn up the aging speed in the server beginning page. Do I need to modify it in the file you mentioned, or is there a GM command?

2. Will there be any consequences if the speed is modified? I heard the forest will be gone and no trees will be growing

1. You have to modify the file.

2. If you adjust <MaxAge> and <AgeDeathBorder> to match you'll be fine. Just remember that the max for both is 999. One of my servers runs with <TreeAgingSpeed> at 8, <MaxAge> at 999 and <AgeDeathBorder> at 950 with no issues.

3. You can usually find the cm_forest_maintenance.xml in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\data\

Hope this helps!

DarkArchaon

Post by DarkArchaon » 02 Jul 2017, 13:43

SnowSharky wrote:
DarkArchaon wrote:1. I can find a area to turn up the aging speed in the server beginning page. Do I need to modify it in the file you mentioned, or is there a GM command?

1. You have to modify the file.

2. If you adjust <MaxAge> and <AgeDeathBorder> to match you'll be fine. Just remember that the max for both is 999. One of my servers runs with <TreeAgingSpeed> at 8, <MaxAge> at 999 and <AgeDeathBorder> at 950 with no issues.

3. You can usually find the cm_forest_maintenance.xml in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\data\

Hope this helps!

It works! Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

I am now using 10, and when my first batch of tress are growing up to major, I will tune the speed down to 8 as you suggested, just to make it to be balanced.

DarkArchaon

Post by DarkArchaon » 18 Jul 2017, 15:39

A follow up to this issue. After I tune up the growth speed, and the life of the tree set to 950, the no. of trees grow a lot. But after this batch had died down, most of the area are covered with Undergrowth. There is not much of the tree growing. Most of the tree still standing is softwoods. I can hardly see any hardwood like oaks that are growing. Is there a way to fix that? Thanks

SnowSharky

Post by SnowSharky » 19 Jul 2017, 01:06

DarkArchaon wrote:A follow up to this issue. After I tune up the growth speed, and the life of the tree set to 950, the no. of trees grow a lot. But after this batch had died down, most of the area are covered with Undergrowth. There is not much of the tree growing. Most of the tree still standing is softwoods. I can hardly see any hardwood like oaks that are growing. Is there a way to fix that? Thanks

Yes, you can adjust which trees grow, and how densely, with the same config file.
I suggest checking out Nyutons forest maintenance generator if you want to make things easy, you'll find it at https://terratool.nyuton.net/index.php under tools and scripts (make sure to log in with steam to see the option).
Hope this helps!

DarkArchaon

Post by DarkArchaon » 19 Jul 2017, 13:13

Thanks. Had created a file and let's see the result. Appreciated for the help. :beer:

Return to Feedback Section