Development News #66 - MMO Patch: Hold Your Horses!

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #66 - MMO Patch: Hold Your Horses!

Post by Arrakis » 25 Aug 2017, 20:32

Hey, Feudalists!

We want to update you with the changes in an upcoming patch that we’ll be releasing today - if everything goes as planned (fingers crossed!).

Most importantly, we want to WARN you that you should no longer keep your unpacked horses unattended in the gameworld. A horse without a rider or any interaction within 30 minutes will appear sleeping/laying on the ground, and after an additional 30 minutes, it will ‘run away’ and disappear completely from the gameworld. We’ve implemented this mechanism in order to minimize excessive server load, which was caused by hundredsunattended horses being stashed in the attics of residential buildings and other unsuitable - and non-horse-friendly - areas!

This mechanism will be constantly enabled in the MMO. LiF:YO server admins will be able to enable this setting by modifying the: $cm_config::Decay::HorsesDecayTimeMinutes preference.

By the way, LiF:YO owners can expect a LiF:YO patch sometime next week! :)

We have also fixed two terraforming and inventory-related dupes and that concludes all the dupes that we currently know about. Please do not hesitate to report serious exploits and dupes to us! You can expect very good compensation for those reports!

There are a couple of long awaited combat fixes being presented in today’s patch:
    1. High skill level thrusting spear attacks will no longer be unparryable
    2. Lancers will have their couched lance reset if the speed of their horse drops below a certain level
    3. Spears can no longer be used on horseback. Only lances are allowed.
We are constantly working on balancing, tweaking and improvement of our combat system. You can expect a massive weapons rework and additional combat fixes next week.

Stay tuned!

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Re: Development News #66 - MMO Patch: Hold Your Horses!

Post by Khan- » 25 Aug 2017, 20:34

Disponible en Français : sur Lifeisfeudal-fr.com

I must to see to know if it's a good idea or not...
Last edited by Khan- on 25 Aug 2017, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Freshmango55
Beta Tester

Post by Freshmango55 » 25 Aug 2017, 20:36

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 25 Aug 2017, 20:37

Very good way of dealing with all the horses left or hidden in the world.

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 25 Aug 2017, 20:38

Arrakis wrote:Please do not hesitate to report serious exploits and dupes to us! You can expect very good compensation for those reports!

Dragonis4
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragonis4 » 25 Aug 2017, 20:39

Now when we cant have horses out, can we repurpose old stable options 'Get Horse' 'Hide horse' to store them in the stable?

Filipsss
Beta Tester

Post by Filipsss » 25 Aug 2017, 20:40

2. Lancers will have their couched lance reset if the speed of their horse drops below a certain level

LiFKarl
Beta Tester

Post by LiFKarl » 25 Aug 2017, 20:42

Arrakis wrote:
3. Spears can no longer be used on horseback. Only lances are allowed.

Jackstark5

Post by Jackstark5 » 25 Aug 2017, 20:43

can we have the files to test the new combat mechanics on lif yo, when you release this next week?

would love the ability to retrain.
-Jack Stark

I like to play

Winrar
Beta Tester

Post by Winrar » 25 Aug 2017, 20:48

:good:

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 25 Aug 2017, 21:02

Dragonis4 wrote:Now when we cant have horses out, can we repurpose old stable options 'Get Horse' 'Hide horse' to store them in the stable?

Yes now stable should be used properly to store horses, everyone should be able to open horse stable and pickup one in the lsit without the skill animal lore.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 25 Aug 2017, 21:05

We’ve implemented this mechanism in order to minimize excessive server load, which was caused by hundreds of unattended horses being stashed in the attics of residential buildings and other unsuitable - and non-horse-friendly - areas!

:lol:
This made me LOL

Here's why.
For one thing, I just don't think this way - which is probably a detriment to myself but when the game has stables, I put my horse in the stable...I don't think "hey we can stash these in the attic"

Secondly, here's the really funny part.

Players - "Why is this game so unstable??? Horses crash everything"
Devs - "I don't know we'll look into it...."
Time passes.
Devs - "Turns out you guys were stashing HUNDREDS of horses in the attics of your houses, contributing MASSIVE amounts of active NPC models to the server load...so that definitely didn't help the server lag issues"
Players - :pardon:
Last edited by Elindor on 25 Aug 2017, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.

Chuto
Beta Tester

Post by Chuto » 25 Aug 2017, 21:09

I must change myself to archer :%)

JackStark
Zealous Believer

Post by JackStark » 25 Aug 2017, 21:18

"You can expect a massive weapons rework and additional combat fixes next week."

please no magical legend of zelda style charge attacks.

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 25 Aug 2017, 21:23

So now, no skirmish should last more than 1 hour out of your horse, even RolePlay interactions should not exceed 1 hour "sorry but, i must leave you if not my horse i left at your gates will run away",

and always carrying your horse is not always possible because you may have some stuff in your inventory, and a horse is heavy burden.

Plus seeing horses around in a village or castle is part of the immersion and game life...

Here is my proposal :

Allow player to put a name on one horse per character (claim a horse), all named horses will last forever and will not run away, the others horses will run away if left in the open world. Plus a named horse scroll in a warehouse will allow you to find your good horse.
So with this no more excess horses, only one per player.... less horses... problem solved ! :beer: (if server can handle 10k players why not 10k horses?)

Paparia
Beta Tester

Post by Paparia » 25 Aug 2017, 23:20

Or simply use nice horsefriendly wooden warehouses to store them without laging the servers

"If you cant have a container that can hold a horse you souldn't have a horse peasant, now back to the moat "

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 25 Aug 2017, 23:34

And what if Horses simply age and die when living outside ? is it to much timer to add in the world ? Come on even trees age and naturally die !

Horses age and die (or starve) inside a stable, why not in the open world ?
Abandonned horses will age and die. problem solved !

Plus it's good for the economy, for horse breeder's and trading horses !! come on do that instead ! there is tons of better ideas !

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 26 Aug 2017, 00:33

Concerning the boar spear, you might want to consider modifying the hitbox, the stimaina drain, weight requirement, or damage.

I'm sure we'll need to test how the parry system effects it (could kill the weapon), but thank you for the great changes. I'm going to be laughing at the lancers that are used to slow-speed lancing :D
Last edited by Ishamael on 26 Aug 2017, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Dragonis4
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragonis4 » 26 Aug 2017, 01:45

i'm all for aging horses when using them, there is too many of them, they should be high end item, not every present riding on the horse

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 26 Aug 2017, 01:46

Baal wrote:So now, no skirmish should last more than 1 hour out of your horse, even RolePlay interactions should not exceed 1 hour "sorry but, i must leave you if not my horse i left at your gates will run away",

Why not give your horse to a stable hand and have them put in in the stables instead of just leaving your horse at the front gate.

Come on man, I'm not a role player and even I know that much.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Akarian
Zealous Believer

Post by Akarian » 26 Aug 2017, 01:53

Los CUERVOS siempre viven, trabajan, viajan y matan en grupo.

http://cuervosdelatormenta.wix.com/cuervosdelatormenta

JulesRitter
Zealous Believer

Post by JulesRitter » 26 Aug 2017, 02:04

These horses did not appear all at once.
How about a 24 hour cycle instead like house claims? Anyone with their horse standing around for a couple of hours while they do their day to day wouldn't be a big deal, and they could so their thing, however that would keep the vast number of "transgressors" from leaving their horses unattended.
I really don't want to have to worry about my horse disappearing while grinding my mining, farming or some other god forsaken grindathon. It's helpful to have my transportation nearby, to escape a threat or just to make the quick run to replace the odd broken tool, or some other reason.
I know you have to weigh the needs of the server performance vs the playability of the game... but 1 hour goes by quick in this game...

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 26 Aug 2017, 05:22

I think Devs. forgot about Miners and Guildless players who simply don't have a place to put the horse away when at work. Till now, they would simply keep the horse on personal claim and put it to own inventory when logging out.

Make option to claim the horse.
The claim would be valid till the player is logged-in, knocked unconscious, or killed.
This combine with the new 1 hours limit.

Of course the new implement is still better then nothing. there was still way too many horses waiting around.
And please, next time give us at least 24h, better yet 48h, warning when implementing patches that make things disappear.

Grimmblut
Zealous Believer

Post by Grimmblut » 26 Aug 2017, 08:14

Regarding lancing:

Sounds like a good change as long as random speed decreases, as they currently happen while riding in a straight line, don't lead to couched lances being reset. A much, much more important patch would have been the bug fix that warhorses, that charge at full speed into a footman, sometimes are being brought to an instant full stop without the footman even getting pushed over.

Regarding unblockable spears:

It wasn't really necessary to make them blockable, but I know that most people don't know how to handle (boar) spear fighters, so I guess this was made to appease the masses. It would have been much more important to make them exclusivly two-handed weapons. That is, to make them unusable at the same time with a shield. The boar spear / tower shield combo is the real broken shit out there, not just the boar spear.

Most important pvp-bug that is still not fixed:

Shield hitboxes. This is insane. Lance an enemy female (!) lancer, that carries a shield on her back, from the front? Reproducibly (!!) hit the shield on her back! Thrust your spear into the side of an enemy that runs from left to right in front of you? Hit the shield on his back! Thrust your spear into the back (!) of an enemy that has a shield equipped on his arm? Hit the shield (this just happened yesterday during our training)! There is an insane issue going on with shield hitboxes overlapping the hitbox of the player model to the extent that you can hit the shield hitbox although the shield is on the other side of the player character.

Davis105
True Believer

Post by Davis105 » 26 Aug 2017, 16:31

I think the Dev's made a great call here with the horse idea. So thumbs up to that, it was a great way to resolve that problem. Realistic as well.

Second, a lot of you guys need to stop nit picking at every single the Dev's do. They made a system that will achieve the exact same goal as if your horse "ages and dies". So they don't need to add that system, since this one is pretty much the same thing.

Third, yeah it might suck that we can't leave our horses standing for longer than 1 hour. Someone mentioned role-play on page one and I could see where he's coming from. But based off my very limited knowledge in computer science and programming, I believe if it's that much of an issue they can tweak that timer or like someone mentioned add a functionality for our stables to be able to store and retrieve your horse.

That's my thoughts, can't wait for the combat tweaks. My advice is copy the shit out of Mount and Blade mechanics as much as possible, they have by far the best medieval combat system imo.

Trance67
True Believer

Post by Trance67 » 27 Aug 2017, 14:59

This horse things is really not that big of a deal. If you've been out doing something for 30 minutes, just leave your mine, go jump on the horse for 2 seconds, and bam, timer is reset. It's not even that inconvenient considering I've had to do much worse than that on some YO servers to prevent thieving. Jumping on a horse every 2 minutes to reset that timer is far more annoying.

JohnValentine
Zealous Believer

Post by JohnValentine » 28 Aug 2017, 15:23

Grimmblut wrote:

It wasn't really necessary to make them blockable, but I know that most people don't know how to handle (boar) spear fighters, so I guess this was made to appease the masses. It would have been much more important to make them exclusivly two-handed weapons. That is, to make them unusable at the same time with a shield. The boar spear / tower shield combo is the real broken shit out there, not just the boar spear.

I'm super hesitant to judge without seeing all the combat changes, but when I first read the news about the spear changes I could only wonder "WTF". It feels like a change to appease players that didn't bother learn how to fight properly. We'll see if the rest of the changes paint a more clear picture on the direction of classes.

Firstly, spears where always blockable. (Though buggy sometimes). The anti-parry skill was a 90 point investment, that aided in the counter of two handed weapons, primarily. However, being that all the current spears are only viable if used to thrust, the attacks are always predictable and it behooved twohanders as much as OHand and Shield to sidestep the thrust and counter attack.

I really don't know if they helped or hurt spears by removing this ability. On one hand, that saves thirty points (unless they give us a skill that is relevant) and it encourages enemy's to parry instead of sidestepping, which is much more dangerous. On the other hand, someone decent at parrying/sidesteping has so much freedom to outplay a spear user now.

I will say, I think the changes to spears didn't really solve anything. Spear from horseback was useless against dismounts, and really only countered Lancers if they got sloppy. Spears on the ground will continue to be the preferred choice for groups because *thrusting* is much less dangerous to your allies and the rest of the weapons seem to do laughable damage in that regard. Meanwhile spears do amazing damage compared to any regard. Also the boar spear will continue to be meta over awl, due to how it handles.

I just don't understand what was trying to be achieved here.

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 30 Aug 2017, 00:29

This horse things is really not that big of a deal. If you've been out doing something for 30 minutes, just leave your mine, go jump on the horse for 2 seconds, and bam, timer is reset. It's not even that inconvenient considering I've had to do much worse than that on some YO servers to prevent thieving. Jumping on a horse every 2 minutes to reset that timer is far more annoying.

I have a bad news for you... the 2 minutes ownership horse timer is still ON, that hasn't changed.
When mining I used to leave my horse on the Personal Claim to prevent thieving.

at least let us store the horse in the Personal Claim inventory. That would create even less server log.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 30 Aug 2017, 15:18

JohnValentine wrote:
Grimmblut wrote:

I'm super hesitant to judge without seeing all the combat changes, but when I first read the news about the spear changes I could only wonder "WTF". It feels like a change to appease players that didn't bother learn how to fight properly. We'll see if the rest of the changes paint a more clear picture on the direction of classes.

Firstly, spears where always blockable. (Though buggy sometimes). The anti-parry skill was a 90 point investment, that aided in the counter of two handed weapons, primarily. However, being that all the current spears are only viable if used to thrust, the attacks are always predictable and it behooved twohanders as much as OHand and Shield to sidestep the thrust and counter attack.

I really don't know if they helped or hurt spears by removing this ability. On one hand, that saves thirty points (unless they give us a skill that is relevant) and it encourages enemy's to parry instead of sidestepping, which is much more dangerous. On the other hand, someone decent at parrying/sidesteping has so much freedom to outplay a spear user now.

I will say, I think the changes to spears didn't really solve anything. Spear from horseback was useless against dismounts, and really only countered Lancers if they got sloppy. Spears on the ground will continue to be the preferred choice for groups because *thrusting* is much less dangerous to your allies and the rest of the weapons seem to do laughable damage in that regard. Meanwhile spears do amazing damage compared to any regard. Also the boar spear will continue to be meta over awl, due to how it handles.

I just don't understand what was trying to be achieved here.

Spears should be blockable. I understand there is some player skill involved in avoiding a spear, but realistically you can block a spear. I do it in real life you can do it in game.

Wolfguy

Post by Wolfguy » 01 Sep 2017, 04:50

Regarding horses in the open :
Perhaps an option of tying the horse to a structure, that would delay the timer by X time

Please excuse my ignorance, but will this change affect trained horses ????

Return to Development News