Combat tweaks – Anti-cavalry/spearman/guard - tree

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Jakkus07
Beta Tester

Combat tweaks – Anti-cavalry/spearman/guard - tree

Post by Jakkus07 » 24 Sep 2017, 14:33

As through time I was playing the game I have experience different roles and been both on defensive and offensive. Tried basically every role and tried envision it as if they could be better. Therefore, I decided to write a post that focuses on some classes are in the game. As combat in game have already taken overall shape, my suggestion will posses mainly tweaks and compromises rather than talking how change entire tree. I’d like to tell you before I will start presetting my tweaks that I’m always open to suggestions. Also, short mention – my English isn’t my first language therefore, I’m sorry guys for eventual nerve breaking vocabulary. ;)

Beware the scary wall of text!

In first part will start with first class that in my suggestion lacks the most (Anti-cav).

1. Militia

1.1 Tools

First skill in the anticav tree. And I must say quite well kinda useless. I’m saying this because what this skill lacks a simple functionality. Using tools as weapons IS useful don’t get me wrong. I did used tools to defend myself. However, they are not that much in comparison to the other first skills in other classes

Suggestion: Slight tweaks should be presented in a form of slightly raised dmg especially to the weapons in militia category.

1.2 Fist fighting

In Militia skill, we have also included unarmed fighting or fist fighting if you prefer, and I must say this is a fun skill. Numerous time I have been fist fighting just for fun. Yet usually we get bored because fights have been soooooo long (usually like 10 min or so if not more). Additionally, no side lost more than like 10% of SHP (soft-hp). Even special attack/abilities that is knock down or weapon steal is basically never to be seen (except in skill description). :Search:

Suggestion: My suggestion rise dmg done to SHP from 1,50-3,50 if in head 5.00 (typical dmg) to 10 dmg if hit in torso or legs and like up to 15 dmg if hit in the head. This way people will start to parry more and defend face instead bashing each other endlessly. Rise as well chance to cause knockdown and (don’t make it too op make it like 25% or 35 of chance). Weapon steal can be too op if not implemented correctly DEVS can end up with guys running naked stealing weapons (lol). But at the same time, you need give people something for grinding it to like lvl 90 and make it useful at the first hours of game. So, in case of being too op just rise the percentage bar or lower it and …. test it.
Of course, before anyone will say dmg is too high im mean bashing each other without armor. I wouldn’t suggest using fist to fight guy in the plate or any other guy that have armor on. Only in last form of defense should ability like weapon steal be utilized. :good:

Try to image having no weapon at all (early game) and some naked bandit with axe starts to hit you and you surprisingly block his attack blocking most of his dmg. Next you hit him with uppercut to the face and knock him for few sec. He gets up and you steal his his weapon with next attack or have enough time to equip whatever weapon you have in inventory…
You can finish the story what happens next but I hope people get the idea.
:twisted:

2. Spearman

2.1 Spears

At previus times most popular(unpopular) weapon with its impossible to parry attack. As spears are now they might have problem with keeping with other classes on battlefield (slightly).

Suggestion: I would suggest having some special attack similar to swordsman tree. No combos but some special ability like special attack after block (Swordsman lvl 60).

2.2 Pikes

Pike are useful I can’t deny that, as they are now they are perfect in dmg done to the cavalry and the work perfectly while in formation or defending point. However, they are very static and most of the time cavalry will avoid you like fire (they are better suited for formations defense).

Suggestion: Therefore, I would suggest small change. There are two stances with pike. Overhead and thrust. I would suggest that if pike men chooses lower stance he should remain static, but when in upper stance you can slowly move.
Except this I don’t see much problem with it.

3. Guard

3.1 Poleaxes

Although quite useful tool on battlefield in the medieval ages in this game is not so popular. Not many people fight with it because poleaxes lack combos, have 1 special attack that can be simply avoided (in non-cavalry fighting) and don’t do much dmg (compared to much quicker and more powerful two handers). Only useful bonus is that they are quite useful while defending against cavalry. Tactics while using polearms consist of it and run tactic like spear but you can at least defend yourself with the shield. I understand that they are supposed to be anti-cav but this doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be absolutely possible to fight one on one with shield guy or plate guy.

In comparison shield guy is weak against two handers and cavs, but he can handle archers. Plate guy is weak against cavs and archers. Archers are weak against cavs, shields and they can outrun plates. Polearm guy is useful against cavs, weak against shield guy, plate guy and archers. Basically, he is weakest class in my opinion.
Other reason while people don’t like to play it is because of armor problem but about this in a moment.

Poleaxes arch nemesis is normal infantry that consist of shield guys. And what are shield guy usual weak points if not head and legs. IF plates are combat classes that focus on attack and shields focuses on defense. Why not add something between. And that should be poleaxes. As I envision them they could be for of support for other troops. :friends:

Suggestion: That’s the longest one so bear with me. What he lack in basis is direct confrontational skills. And attack are quite slow and. Therefore, I would suggest to add combo to lvl 60 - combo up, thrust, up OR thrust, up, thust (the same like left,right,left OR right,left,right in swordsman skill tree). Combo up, thrust, up could be used on cavalry and thrust up thrust on shields and plates.

I would also suggest something that just recently enlightened me. Poleaxe way of fighting was based on control and keeping distance and using different tools at the end of the polearm (hooks/spear endings/spikes) to grap/drag/pierce and therefore control opponent while keeping him at distance. Guard special ability is to drag horsemen from saddle. What im trying to say is that they should be able to do something in the ground too. I’m suggesting adding greater chance to knockdown (like in fist fighting skill) if player thrusts polearm and hits legs AND greater chance to stun if opponent is hit the head from overhead attack.
This way we created a guy that can destroy most horses even heavy ones and is quite proficient in fighting shiels and plates. This role cold be even more devastating in formations or in tight corridors and on walls. That’s a guy who I would definetly be worth of the guard title. Before anyone will start that having this much would cause polearm guy to be op don’t forget he still doesn’t do much dmg (compared to plates). Both knockdown, stun effect and combo could be easily parried by plate and annihilated as well as blocked by careful shield guy, not to mention that he can equip kite shield and tower shield that basically covers his legs as form of counter. And not to mention weakest armor. If some of those idea are too op well again! test it...more tests

Before anyone will suggest that poleaxes are supposed to be good only againt horses why do the already have special attack why they can perform Special Attack after a successful parry against your opponent at lvl 60?

Additional i need to suggest before anything should be applied and changed in balance of any class is to implement peaceful stance/combat stance cool down FIRST!

Additional suggestions:

4. Armor

Another tweak I should suggest is change armor stats. Protection against blunt is very needed that’s true. Yet it for direct confrontational combat role it isn’t much. I think what this armor needs it to make it more or less equal with chain mail armor but with focus on defending against blunt and pierce but be decent in slash defense.

Except this I don’t think I can suggest much to the armor. :beer:
I love the battles, glory and loot.
Yet I'm not the wolf.
I love the craft, trade and gold.
Yet I'm not the sheep.
What am I then you ask?
I'm The Jackal...

Dune3000

Re: Combat tweaks – Anti-cavalry/spearman/guard - tree

Post by Dune3000 » 08 Mar 2018, 22:46

So, what is the best combination for lancer?

Return to Suggestions and Ideas