Launcher broken on Win10 - launcher crashes with "A fatal error has occurred. Application will be closed."

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

carranah
Zealous Believer

Launcher broken on Win10 - launcher crashes with "A fatal error has occurred. Application will be closed."

Post by carranah » 03 Nov 2017, 14:48

I'm having some issues with running the game today. It worked well for last few weeks, but now launcher is crashing right after the launcher window loads to the screen. I tired to turn it off and on again ;)

Dump Summary
------------
Process Name: launcher.exe : *\Local\Life is Feudal MMO\launcher.exe
Process Architecture: x86
Exception Code: 0xC0000005
Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Heap Information: Not Present
Last edited by carranah on 03 Nov 2017, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

carranah
Zealous Believer

Re: Launcher crash: A fatal error has occurred. Application will be closed.

Post by carranah » 03 Nov 2017, 16:51

Hmm... could be an issue with network privileges. Strangely I did not change anything on my system and now try to figure out what network settings I have to change. It seems that the launcher crashes once it attempts to connect to the server.

Still, on my Windows 10.0.14393 the game just crashes without asking or explaining network privilege request from the game. While on my Windows 7 it works fine.

carranah
Zealous Believer

Re: Launcher crash: A fatal error has occurred. Application will be closed.

Post by carranah » 03 Nov 2017, 22:15

It seems not to be the issue with network privs (all set properly) but rather launcher is broken on Windows 10.

I installed the game without issues on Windows 7 and could even use the same installation on Windows 10 and play the game (I installed the game on usb for this).

However, the minute the launcher needed to download something on Windows 10 it crashed (any kind of download causes crash a game patch or world update per character load).

Obviously it is not even near to a workaround. The launcher on Windows 10 seems to be broken.

Arrakis

Re: Launcher broken on Win10 - launcher crashes with "A fatal error has occurred. Application will be closed."

Post by Arrakis » 04 Nov 2017, 01:15

Thanks for reporting. We will investigate this issue and let you know as soon as we know what's going on.

carranah
Zealous Believer

Re: Launcher broken on Win10 - launcher crashes with "A fatal error has occurred. Application will be closed."

Post by carranah » 04 Nov 2017, 20:03

Thank you Arrakis.

carranah
Zealous Believer

Post by carranah » 10 Nov 2017, 00:00

Any updates on this one. As of now the launcher still crashes and I am not a fan of running games with admin rights (not really sure if it will work either, but seem to be a valid option - see references below).

Yet aside from my own believes. Other people mentioned the same issue started occurring within the same timeframe. Just a few, but given number players online and number of players willing to post on forum it looks as a valid sample representing a considerable portion of players (let's say more than 5%... probably more given Win10 is now a 1/3 of all Windows OS installations).

That being said, OBT is around the corner so 1/3 of potential OBT eligible players might be affected. Naturally the fix would come out soon if become critical upon OBT launch, but still 1/3 of players might be given a disadvantage at start not mentioning CBT supporters who will loose their early access opportunity.

I say might, since I don't know what is the root cause and if all Win10 flavors/configs are impacted or just some. But again, given limited number of players online nowadays and hesitation to posting, having 3 post and several people raising the issue means there is some considerable impact.

Reference:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Other posts about the issue:
http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/launcher-suck-on-80-unpacking-launcher-update-t24720/
http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/launcher-crashing-immediately-cannot-play-mmo-t24729/

carranah
Zealous Believer

Post by carranah » 14 Nov 2017, 00:38

Well, looks like the launcher is still broken on Win10. Just three days before OBT starts.

I wouldn't complain so much if the launcher did not get broken just 10 days ago :(

Mx11foxracing
True Believer

Post by Mx11foxracing » 14 Nov 2017, 03:04

Are we not getting a new launcher before OBT? Or maybe an update to current?

H2kdemon
Zealous Believer

Post by H2kdemon » 14 Nov 2017, 20:33

Any updates on the launcher crashing for win10? I figured i would open the launcher to check for any potential updates, only to find out that it doesn't work. 30min before name reserve time :shock:

Trance67
True Believer

Post by Trance67 » 14 Nov 2017, 21:05

Shoot I'm not sure what is stopping you guys from using the launcher. I don't have the gold pack and even I was able to start it up and go look at the game just 5 minutes ago. Saw that there is a new button for the ingame shop, I'm a bit interested to take a look inside.

carranah
Zealous Believer

Post by carranah » 15 Nov 2017, 00:04

Same issue here. I saw there was some launcher update but it still does not work for me (similar error appearing at the same time - when launcher tires to establish incoming connection from the LiF server).

@Trance67: Please note that the issue is specific to Windows10. I can run the game on Win7 for example, while people reported that they can run it on Win10 with administrator rights mode for LiF launcher. If it did not work for all of us, it would have been fixed much earlier.

@H2kdemon: You can try run the launcher in admin mode or run it on a different Windows (e.g. Win7). I haven't tried the admin mode, but it works for several people who had launcher issue.

HouseHarkonnen

Post by HouseHarkonnen » 16 Nov 2017, 20:16

I found a workaround/fix, the problem is in the unpacking so once the update is downloaded (80% install) Open the LiFMMO folder, unzip/overwrite the old files with the new patch files, restart launcher and you're back. Good luck!

(windows 10 here )

Rickjames
Zealous Believer

Post by Rickjames » 16 Nov 2017, 20:41

what is the name of the patch files to do this?

Rickjames
Zealous Believer

Post by Rickjames » 16 Nov 2017, 20:45

i was finally able to load it on my windows 10 computer by running it via admin and its downloading now

HouseHarkonnen

Post by HouseHarkonnen » 16 Nov 2017, 21:03

it's deleted after the update runs fully but I think it was just called update.zip it was the only compressed archive in the directory, you will see it added after the failed update runs.

Ajak
Zealous Believer

Post by Ajak » 17 Nov 2017, 01:23

Are we talking about a work around for when the launcher says it's downloading an update and fails at 79%? It's happening for me on two different machines that separately downloaded the game and was working yesterday but is now broken, can't even get past the launcher update.

Very frustrating to not be able to get into the game.

HouseHarkonnen

Post by HouseHarkonnen » 17 Nov 2017, 02:02

This will work if the download completes but the next step where it attempts to extract the files hangs or fails. Check your install directory for the update file and manually extract/overwrite old files then restart launcher.

Kiriton
True Believer

Post by Kiriton » 17 Nov 2017, 12:49

I was having this issue when I was trying to update the launcher from my previous installation. It would Hang at 80% when unpacking or w/e. I Then came here to the forums and downloaded the headstart client. It fixed the problem for me and I am now able to get in the game (when true believers are able to anyways)

Hope this helps solves some peoples issue. And I did not unistall my CBT client I just ran the new headstart client and POOF it worked.

Kiriton Lokare

Miamiheat87
True Believer

Post by Miamiheat87 » 22 Nov 2017, 18:11

Where do you download this head start client?

Chrustek

Post by Chrustek » 24 Nov 2017, 07:11

Same here, stuck at unpacking files. Any clues? instructions? patches? anything? :cry:

Return to General Discussion