Prospecting tutorial [T§P]

Want to learn or teach others some of the finer details of Life is Feudal? This section is for the game guides, tutorials and FAQ's.

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Prospecting tutorial [T§P]

Post by Telakh » 03 Jul 2014, 13:40

Prospecting!
Or how to get some ore without a rock handler.
This tutorial will be updated.

Prospecting is the first skill in the miner-blacksmith branch and is available to all players from the beginning. Prospect for copper ability is availbale at 0 skill level and so we can start the guide immediately.

1. Initial search.

What do you have to know about ore?
Ore veins are located in rock terrains, that is why you won't find much in sands, plains or swamps. It doesn't mean you will find nothing as there may be rocks beneath the layers of soil, mud and sand, while noone can say for sure where you can find rocks. Well, unless you are at the rugged rocks or somewhere nearby ;)

Prospecting skill level determines the maximum distance, at which you search for ore veins. When you use the ability, you prospect a sphere, centered on the tile(cube) you use the prospect ability on, with radius you set when use the skill. So, the max. horisontal search distance is at your level and max. vertical search distance is where you stand.

Initial search must be performed with max. radius in order to find any vein of the ore type you are searching for.

2. Locating the ore vein.

So, you've finally received a positive prospecting result and jumping around! What should you do?
First, you should determine the ore vein direction.
2.1 In case you prospect somewhat flat terrain, you have to determine the minimal radius at which you can prospect the vein from the current location. To do so, continiously repeat prospecting while reducing the search radius by 2 (or even 4-6-10 points as you can raise it again if you get a negative result).
2.2 After you determine the minimum range at which you can prospect the ore vein from the current position, you have to prospect 8 tiles areund you with exactly THE SAME radius. Negative and positive results will show you the direction to the ore.

3.3 After you determine the direction, you have to locate the spot above the ore vein, and it's stratum depth. Move in teh direction you've found and prospect every 5-8 tiles. If you don't get a positive result, then increase the prospecting range a little bit. If you move up/down the slope, you have to correct your search radius as every 2 vertical meters(character's height) are equal to 1 cube height and equal to 1 additional search radius.
Your task is to find the location, where search radius will be the lowest while taking the terrain elevation in to consideration. This should show you where the ore spot is.

4.4. After you locate the ore vein, you can start planning the mine entrance. You have to take in to consideration, that when you dig tunnel downward or upward, the elevation change at the rate of 1 vertical cube to 3 horizontal cumbes, meaning you have to dig 3 cubes downward in order to get 2 meters (1 cube) down. That is why start mining right above the ore vein may not be the best idea. Usualy, you will spend much less efforts if start mining from some lowland nearby. I am sure, you can count it yourself with ease!

4.5 As you proceed with your tunnel, you have to correct the mining direction by prospecting the walls, floor and ceiling of the mine.
a - search for the minimum radius where you prospect the ore in the direction of the mine.
b - prospect left and righ walls with the same radius. It will tell you to turn if left and right results are different or even less that in the digging direction.
c - prospect floor and celing with the radius+2 (or search for the minimum radis both for the floor and celing) - it will tell you if you need to dig downwards or upwards if you receive different results.

Try to avoid digging in the diagonal direction as it increases the number of cubes you have to dig through. And good luck!
Last edited by Telakh on 18 Jul 2014, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Arrakis

Re: Prospecting tutorial [T§P]

Post by Arrakis » 03 Jul 2014, 14:24

Well done Telakh :beer: Excellent job! This is really nice tutorial and it surely will be of great use to all players ;)

SESIOM

Post by SESIOM » 05 Oct 2014, 20:13

Great work. :good:

I'm working on a spanish adaptation, so I can share it with my friends. Hope you dont mind I use your work

Light487

Post by Light487 » 19 Oct 2014, 23:59

One thing I don't understand is that when I finally locate a likely spot and it's obvious from my prospecting that it is under the surface, how do I get the tunnel to actually tunnel.

I've sat there for a good 15 minutes doing the "Dig tunnel" action, over and over and all it ever does is fill my bag with either fertile soil or rocks, which I then need to dump behind me or a couple of squares away etc

I've never once got a hole to appear in the ground, nor even seen the ground lower slightly......

I only have primitive tools on account that I need ore before i can make the next level tools....

What am I doing wrong?

Orsus

Post by Orsus » 02 Nov 2014, 07:42

It takes awhile for the hole to appear, once it does it is very noticeable. Once inside the hole you can start earning mining exp.

You can track the vein visually once you are inside your tunnel. It will be the rock that has various colours inside it.
It does not matter who is the strongest fighter, just the last one standing.

Ew_99
Zealous Believer

Post by Ew_99 » 30 Nov 2017, 14:58

@Light487

If have not learned it yet, doing an inspect on the tile you are digging will tell you how much of that tile remains. If you see like 8% rejoice, you will be through quickly.

Return to Guides and Tutorials