Claim design

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Joosemachine
True Believer

Claim design

Post by Joosemachine » 30 Dec 2017, 12:45

Hi everyone,

I have been playing both LiF:YO and the MMO for about a year now and I have noticed that in both games there doesn't appear to be much creativity or any attempt at authenticity or aesthetics towards claim design on the part of most guilds. What I mean by this is that all claims tend to fall into the same basic pattern of: Big square stone walls, completely flat, everything paved with stone, and tree farms outside the walls *yawn* . On top of this, every building is built perfectly square with all the others and it ends up looking very uniform, unnatural and boring. The devs have shown what can be built in the game in their various promotional movies and the main village on Newbie island, and it all looks great! (Newbie village is particularly nice, with changes in elevation, buildings at interesting angles and the liberal uses of wooden fences, natural vegetation and lamposts etc). So my question is: why does nobody build like this? Why is everyone obsessed with paving EVERYTHING and making everything square and straight? Where are the claim designers in this game who are more interested in aesthetics and building a believable medieval village than just another stone square? I cant be the only one who gets totally turned off by the generic style of the stone square and wants something closer to what the devs show in thier artwork and media:

Entspeak

Re: Claim design

Post by Entspeak » 31 Dec 2017, 15:43

I've not been inside, but go check out Tahoma if you're on Buyan. The exterior looks amazing and, being in the northern mountains, it conforms nicely to the terrain - depending on how you come across it, it can be difficult to guage just how big it is right away. I don't know who designed it, but I like it.

Joosemachine
True Believer

Post by Joosemachine » 02 Jan 2018, 08:55

Thanks Entspeak, I will definitely give it a look! I just wonder why more people dont put more effort into the aesthetics of the claim and making it look nice. I could kind of understand it in YO where the servers would often be wiped every few months so it didnt make much sense to build something nice-looking, but it seems even the fact that the MMO claims are going to be permanent hasn't inspired many people to put more effort into aesthetics.. pity

Ebhe2003

Post by Ebhe2003 » 04 Sep 2019, 19:44

something that ive been doing on my server, but it requires one to have a willing gm to do this because its not possible for the players to do so... but i've placed houses on moutain sides where usually it is not possible to do so, i have then put wooden posts underneath the structure so that it looks like it is supporting the building and ive also added either inverted stairs or stairs which can be found in the simple construction under the miscilanious tab to allow access into the buildings... if it helps either stairs are able to reach a 4 meter difference ... so at ground level of 1.0 having stairs built on in the 2x2 square you can walk up to a smooth landing at 5.0 you can further add a plank for a walkway if you didnt want to connect to a building, i typically dig into the ground until it makes a hole/tunnel and then add the plank so that when the hole fills back in over time it looks as though the plank is coming out of the ground.... just some ideas for you.... you can also conjoin buildings together and add furniture to hide where buildings have jutted into each other.... another thing i just recently did was when a building is in foundation mode you can add other foundations in the same squares while in gm mode so for another player we had placed on the lower levels of the castle keep other building foundations in the three different lower rooms, a blacksmith area, and a kitchen/brewing area... so dont be afraid to try things in gm mode.... although good luck finding a gm that doesnt mind taking the time to make something aesthetically pleasing. currently on lunch at work but when i get home i will post some pictures of the different areas
Attachments
Builings inside of the castle keep.png
Builings inside of the castle keep.png (3.17 MiB) Viewed 3186 times
Stilted house on the mountain side.png
Stilted house on the mountain side.png (2.45 MiB) Viewed 3186 times

Return to Newcomer Section