Questions re: Being Marked as Criminal

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.
Celthon

Questions re: Being Marked as Criminal

Post by Celthon » 11 Jan 2018, 10:42

Have a cpl. questions after reading this section of the Wiki:
https://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Criminal

>If someone Marks me as Criminal by using the 'Trespassers!' Ability, they are then able to kill me without having the action affect their alignment...does this work only for the person who used the 'Trespassers!' Ability or can anyone now freely kill me?

>Is there any sort of timer involved with this...does it drop off after a certain time period has elapsed, or is it permanent?

>Can someone be Marked as Criminal just by being within a particular distance of another's Claim and having them use the 'Trespassers!' Ability on me, or would a person have to spend a set amount of time within the Claim's boundary before they could mark me?

It seems that this could lead to misuse/griefing if someone were marking anyone who came within distance, just so they could attack/kill without alignment hits.

As a new player wandering through the countryside, who is just exploring and looking around, would there be a possibility of being marked just by stepping across a Claim Boundary -- (could easily miss a notification that appeared in a chat window from the system if not paying close attention to every bit of text there).

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Velius

Re: Questions re: Being Marked as Criminal

Post by Velius » 11 Jan 2018, 19:04

Celthon wrote:Have a cpl. questions after reading this section of the Wiki:
https://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Criminal

>If someone Marks me as Criminal by using the 'Trespassers!' Ability, they are then able to kill me without having the action affect their alignment...does this work only for the person who used the 'Trespassers!' Ability or can anyone now freely kill me?

>Is there any sort of timer involved with this...does it drop off after a certain time period has elapsed, or is it permanent?

>Can someone be Marked as Criminal just by being within a particular distance of another's Claim and having them use the 'Trespassers!' Ability on me, or would a person have to spend a set amount of time within the Claim's boundary before they could mark me?

It seems that this could lead to misuse/griefing if someone were marking anyone who came within distance, just so they could attack/kill without alignment hits.

As a new player wandering through the countryside, who is just exploring and looking around, would there be a possibility of being marked just by stepping across a Claim Boundary -- (could easily miss a notification that appeared in a chat window from the system if not paying close attention to every bit of text there).

If someone on a claim flags you as a trespasser, then anyone associated with the claim can attack you while you are standing on the claim. This can range from a single person on a personal claim, to a guild of 250 rampaging maniacs.

I honestly don't know if there is a timer, as anyone we've flagged as a trespasser hasn't lived long enough to provide any feedback. Also, don't steal, kids. It won't end well for you.

When someone sounds the alarm, you have a small window to leave the claim before you are flagged. I advise to stop trying to negotiate or whatever you were doing on their land and book it. I'm not certain of the span of the window but I don't think it's longer than 30 seconds.

While it is certainly possible someone could flag you for no reason other than standing on their land, most players and guilds will not go through the trouble as you are, without insulting you, simply not worth the effort. The only thing they could gain is some primitive tools, rags, and forager-grade food.

As long as you are not brandishing a weapon when you enter their lands you are far more likely to have them talk to you first. This could range from a simple "You need to leave right now" to asking why you are on their lands, to offering you food or possibly work. If you DO run across a person or group who is acting aggressive, it is best to just remove yourself from the area as soon as possible with the minimum of fuss.

Extra note: Hitting the Trespassers! skill will flag ALL persons not associated with a claim as trespassers regardless of where they are on the claim or if they are even within sight of the person sounding the alarm. It is not a target-based skill, so do be careful when using it.

MrTopbanana

Post by MrTopbanana » 13 Jan 2018, 05:07

just avoid claims. press ctrg + f4 and u see claims permanently. dont walk on them. we usually always press trespasser when we hear someone, then see how many, see who it is and when its just a poor naked/new, we let him move along. But he lost alleignment - but its his own fault. Dont go to close to claims, its used to figure out how many enemies are around, becuz u get a notification in system chat about the names so u know the numbers.

Celthon

Post by Celthon » 13 Jan 2018, 11:59

Velius wrote:
While it is certainly possible someone could flag you for no reason other than standing on their land, most players and guilds will not go through the trouble as you are, without insulting you, simply not worth the effort. The only thing they could gain is some primitive tools, rags, and forager-grade food.

My original concern was/is how easily one can be flagged as a criminal through harmless actions, especially as a new player who is wandering around lost. As you can see from the previous post/answer above from 'Mrtopbanana' there are players in the game who will mark someone as criminal the instant they are aware of them...

Does anyone know the answers to these questions:

>So once a person has been marked as a criminal via the 'Trespassers!' ability can anyone attack them without an alignment hit, or only the people associated with the claim who marked them?

>Is the 'marked as criminal' tag permanent, or does it drop off after a timer has expired?

Seems it could be frustrating to a new player to be able to have something like this happen, when they are in their first hour or two of their game experience, and wandering lost and clueless. Many gamers do not read forums, Wikis, etc. before starting a game and may not be pre-armed with this sort of knowledge/advice.

Return to Newcomer Section