Why pvp server seems too carebear ?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Tordr86
Devoted Believer

Re: Why pvp server seems too carebear ?

Post by Tordr86 » 17 Jan 2018, 19:35

Hodo wrote:snip

Same issue in PUBG, there is a thing with internet cafe's in china where they provide hacks for people to use, pretty disgusting if you ask me.

W015

Post by W015 » 17 Jan 2018, 23:58

How to fix PVP:

-alls tructures should be able to be damaged at any time
-it has to take a long while to destroy a wall etc (say 10 men a couple of days?)
-allow more protection to town than realm claim items
-all doors to warehouses etc, all chests etc should be able to be opened, but by force and taking time (some minutes?)
-high increase in damage dealt to structures during JH

This is the only way to revive the sandbox, and at the same time hinder off-peak claim destruction.

A undefended keep should take as long time to pucture, that the owners have a chance to log in during a game day and muster a defence. Say it takes 10 men 2 days straight to puncture a wall, assuming no-one defends nor repairs the wall. If you are too weak to defend, then you can and will be raided now and then. At effort, but providing either loot or pvp, but most likely both.

Destroying the monument should take a long time and effort too, of course. Perhaps through first destroying x percent of buildings?

_____

I agree with all those who point out that the only pvp available at the moment, is meaningless. To the extent a lot of people are quitting the game. Even the major PVP guilds are losing members - and they are the most creative at trying to generate PVP.. The stability issues and bugs add to this misery of course. But the murder of the sandbox by implementation of carebear safeguards is the main problem. And that is on a PVP server!!

All one should really want to hinder, is off-peak destruction of huge work efforts. Not the destruction of a claim by a mighty neighbor, through a lengthly seige. And certainly not remove incentives by denial of loot. Which is a huge issue with any claim that is indestructable and unlootable. The indestructable and highly exploited private claims are the poster child of the fallacy.

My two cents.. (edit = typo)

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 18 Jan 2018, 00:22

W015 wrote:-alls tructures should be able to be damaged at any time

Not going to happen i'm afraid.

Maybe add a possibility to "loot" random stuff from containers and inventories (including people who are offline at the moment) in a certain radius, maybe there should be a skill for that that increase your chances of looting more valuable stuff up to things like top tier equipment and such at lvl100. This would add some meaning to PvP without destroying a few months of people's work while they're offline, and motivate people to actually fight back (even if outnumbered - just to interrupt the looting) instead of just hiding inside houses or logging out.

And of course there should be proper ladders or at least bark boxing allowed.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

DiddlyDale
True Believer

Post by DiddlyDale » 18 Jan 2018, 03:37

The problem with this whole system right now is that it is trying to cater to too many people, everything about the pvp system in LiFMMO is about rules and schedules, the biggest issue with rules and schedules is that they are there to either be broken or enforced to the point where it is unstable (black and white mentality).

The problem I see most is that there are several conflicting natures, the first one is server population and time based PvP, we all have played games where there is a server browser and I imagine we have all been stuck in some kind of queue. The main issue with this game is it acts like a normal population controlled game yet it reinforces PvP to only be at prime time.

Essentially what happens is the server can't handle the load and it crashes, you would see the same issue in server browser based games if they didn't have a server population cap.

So the devs decide to add in Instanced Battles to try to solve that problem, the only issue is big guilds don't want to kowtow to small guilds (who might have less people but destroy them), so they avoid the IB and instead try to fight on the regular map, only problem is that doesn't work because the server they are attacking lags out.

Another problem is that of the tech we have right now, and what the devs want to achieve, the problem is that the devs don't want to take this game beyond LiF YO V2.0, which is to basically get a bunch of YO servers and connect them together in a grid. The squares in the grid can get smaller to make room for more squares but overall you will always have a grid.

The problem there lies in the fact that they have to make each server grid profitable i.e. amount of persons living on that grid initial purchase - server cost contract period = x

The problem with that equation arises when you assume that their initial purchase is their only purchase, because I can't factor in their subscription, which leaves us with a loss overall in my opinion if we start to add on more contracts and less purchases.

People with bigger brains than I can do the hard math, but with simple math we see that we have an issue there, so I doubt making the server grid smaller will help either.

Trying to force everything into prime time from IB's to JH's is just mad even for a developer with a completely optimised and pop capped server system, without these two items you are just asking for issues across the board, from server to game issues.

I think if they don't make this decision and just let the players work out their issues there is just going to be a downward slope, and I feel like players are waiting on a magical fix that will solve their issues and make the game lag free etc etc, I can tell you now it won't happen.

The biggest problem I see is that the devs worry too much about players leaving their game because of harassment, and tbh the town claim idea is actually quite smart overall, A small patch of unraidable land, however they jumped too far by making the realm claim essentially a town claim except in JH.

To me the best way to solve this is increase the town claim size slightly to give a bit more space, and make the realm claim raidable depending on some external factor in game, for example maybe you can only raid the enemy realm claim if X amount of people are on from that group.

Maybe X amount of people on the mega server as a whole, this would require monitoring from the devs depending on server pop etc but would be a lot more constant and inconsistent.

The only final thing I can come up with is that raiding can occur at any time except you can't access anything, you can basically jump walls and that's it, essentially you get a deployable ladder which you have to build next to the enemies wall.

It gives you opportunity to scale their wall and fight them, however it does not work on walls in the town claim, only the realm claim, this will work for all items including ramparts and dare I say it "Drying Racks".

After that I am unsure really, to me this problem is solvable but you are always going to annoy 1 group of people, whether its the knights in shining armour "1v1 me sir and lets make it fair, no name calling" or the "I want to destroy everything and film my enemy crying" groups one or the other is going to cry.

Monco

Post by Monco » 18 Jan 2018, 03:57

It's so fun that all this massive complaint started because they removed boosting, a move which was not necessary and driven by the "fear" of losing players due to "harrassment". They didn't realise that most guilds, even the bigger ones actually went to "raid" in small groups, big groups were only used to keep control of the own territory to force enemies out.
Boosting inside bases also gave more opportunity to keep "control" on your territory. At the current state you really can't push anyone out of your territory because there's no way of doing any damage, IBs are broken and can be avoided, sieges are not implemented and JH allows you only to damage the realm claim.
For exemple we literally have a small enemy camp near our base, and the only thing we were able to do was barkboxing inside it in JH and kill those we could.
For the rest of the week we're forced to see them progressing in our territory without being able to do anything, because somehow we're unable to jump over some non terraformed palisade walls.

W015

Post by W015 » 18 Jan 2018, 08:29

If you are on a PVP server, and nobody from your minimum 10 man guild logs in in the span of a couple of days, then you deserve to get robbed. If someone logs in, but you have zero allies, same thing.

You want a low pop guild to be safe? Go non-pvp server.

And yes - add siege ladders for JH pls.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 18 Jan 2018, 13:21

W015 wrote:And yes - add siege ladders for JH pls.

They will be added in due time.

Baratta

Post by Baratta » 18 Jan 2018, 14:34

Just use exploits like other players do. Then you can feel good about yourself. The game will not survive as a PVP only game. Hell the game won't even survive the lag and log in issues.

Manron

Post by Manron » 18 Jan 2018, 16:18

Baratta wrote:Just use exploits like other players do. Then you can feel good about yourself.

this.

if in doubt ask around in DAC, they know how to glitch through walls. JH, barkboxing and boosting are a thing of the past, you dont even need to wait for the ladders.

IamHe

Post by IamHe » 18 Jan 2018, 23:14

RGGDale wrote:The problem with this whole system right now is that it is trying to cater to too many people, everything about the pvp system in LiFMMO is about rules and schedules, the biggest issue with rules and schedules is that they are there to either be broken or enforced to the point where it is unstable (black and white mentality).

The problem I see most is that there are several conflicting natures, the first one is server population and time based PvP, we all have played games where there is a server browser and I imagine we have all been stuck in some kind of queue. The main issue with this game is it acts like a normal population controlled game yet it reinforces PvP to only be at prime time.

Essentially what happens is the server can't handle the load and it crashes, you would see the same issue in server browser based games if they didn't have a server population cap.

So the devs decide to add in Instanced Battles to try to solve that problem, the only issue is big guilds don't want to kowtow to small guilds (who might have less people but destroy them), so they avoid the IB and instead try to fight on the regular map, only problem is that doesn't work because the server they are attacking lags out.

Another problem is that of the tech we have right now, and what the devs want to achieve, the problem is that the devs don't want to take this game beyond LiF YO V2.0, which is to basically get a bunch of YO servers and connect them together in a grid. The squares in the grid can get smaller to make room for more squares but overall you will always have a grid.

The problem there lies in the fact that they have to make each server grid profitable i.e. amount of persons living on that grid initial purchase - server cost contract period = x

The problem with that equation arises when you assume that their initial purchase is their only purchase, because I can't factor in their subscription, which leaves us with a loss overall in my opinion if we start to add on more contracts and less purchases.

People with bigger brains than I can do the hard math, but with simple math we see that we have an issue there, so I doubt making the server grid smaller will help either.

Trying to force everything into prime time from IB's to JH's is just mad even for a developer with a completely optimised and pop capped server system, without these two items you are just asking for issues across the board, from server to game issues.

I think if they don't make this decision and just let the players work out their issues there is just going to be a downward slope, and I feel like players are waiting on a magical fix that will solve their issues and make the game lag free etc etc, I can tell you now it won't happen.

The biggest problem I see is that the devs worry too much about players leaving their game because of harassment, and tbh the town claim idea is actually quite smart overall, A small patch of unraidable land, however they jumped too far by making the realm claim essentially a town claim except in JH.

To me the best way to solve this is increase the town claim size slightly to give a bit more space, and make the realm claim raidable depending on some external factor in game, for example maybe you can only raid the enemy realm claim if X amount of people are on from that group.

Maybe X amount of people on the mega server as a whole, this would require monitoring from the devs depending on server pop etc but would be a lot more constant and inconsistent.

The only final thing I can come up with is that raiding can occur at any time except you can't access anything, you can basically jump walls and that's it, essentially you get a deployable ladder which you have to build next to the enemies wall.

It gives you opportunity to scale their wall and fight them, however it does not work on walls in the town claim, only the realm claim, this will work for all items including ramparts and dare I say it "Drying Racks".

After that I am unsure really, to me this problem is solvable but you are always going to annoy 1 group of people, whether its the knights in shining armour "1v1 me sir and lets make it fair, no name calling" or the "I want to destroy everything and film my enemy crying" groups one or the other is going to cry.

that was quite a wall of text but there was a nice idea in there:

* make items on realm claim interact-able by raiders at any time (but destructible only during JH)

BeastWarrior

Post by BeastWarrior » 28 Jan 2018, 04:54

I agree with @W015 allow us to destroy structure at any time and allow us to go inside another guild base ( not town claim) and i know people do not want to lose their work but this is a pvp server so you have to get raided/sieged at some point and its like funny saying that you do not wanna die in a pvp game so and also pls increase the jh timing atleast on weekends making it longer or early than 20:00

and @RGGDale but we already got that feature that we can raid countryside in jh? and also stop suggesting on jh cause it laggy asf in most servers so better pick some other time like when more than 5 members online from enemy group

and @Arrakis Sorry we are not saying the game is bad but we just trying to say pls stop with those crazy rules and stop with those limitation and restrictions and allow the players to have some pvp or atleast make a seperate server for people who want some no rules server where we are allowed to have some non restrictive pvp

and always remember the 10 man clan or small one or weak clans it is said that always dominated by big groups and get raided so best bet is stay away from them or get allies or friends to help and there is no way in hell it that there settlement can stand magically like in fairy tale where a magic spirit that will protect or you will get magical walls that can talk and help you from big clans so if the clan is not powerful enough ofcourse it will get easily destroyed cause its a pvp server

Festering

Post by Festering » 28 Jan 2018, 18:25

The first thing the Steam store page says about the game is that it's "Hardcore and realistic".

I bought the game partly because I saw a PvP experience with trebuchets and towns with keeps and castle walls and thought it looked cool. I got in the game and my town was excited to try and reach the point where we could start creating things with warfare engineering.

But after hearing from other players, it sounds like the most "hardcore" thing you can do to a town you're at war with is grief them by cutting trees and digging crops while your allies have them trapped inside their invincible town walls. If they even bothered building walls, that is; standing in a small wooden house with the door closed is more effective at keeping players safe than encircling their town claim with stone walls.

This PvP is not at all what I thought it was when I bought the game. I absolutely, 100% agree that the PvP is too carebear. Had I known more details about the mechanics beforehand, I'm doubtful of whether I would have purchased the game.

Return to General Discussion