Fish Quality

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Peegee77
True Believer

Fish Quality

Post by Peegee77 » 18 Jan 2018, 16:08

I am fishing on a patch of Q84 soil and my effective skill is 71. I am getting fish ranging from Q42 to Q71.

I understand the factors which set the cap at Q71, and that will go up as I raise my skill. But what is giving the low quality results down to Q42? And is there any way to reduce that randomness, get rid of the low results, or is that just part of it?

Klauswitz

Re: Fish Quality

Post by Klauswitz » 19 Jan 2018, 15:31

what qual is your fishing pole?

Peegee77
True Believer

Post by Peegee77 » 19 Jan 2018, 16:04

Klauswitz wrote:what qual is your fishing pole?

Can't remember what quality the pole was, but I am not sure that would be the issue. If the pole quality affected the result, then surely it would reduce the max quality. As you can see, the max quality is as expected for the skill cap, but the range of results is quite extreme.

Miarrobino

Post by Miarrobino » 21 Jan 2018, 10:20

as far as i can tell it is a random range, the quality of the water and you skill raise the max quality - well probably shift the whole range. luck should increase the chance of any given fish being better quality. I just keep the high quality codfish and salmon and toss the rest.

Peegee77
True Believer

Post by Peegee77 » 21 Jan 2018, 13:58

Miarrobino wrote:as far as i can tell it is a random range, the quality of the water and you skill raise the max quality - well probably shift the whole range. luck should increase the chance of any given fish being better quality. I just keep the high quality codfish and salmon and toss the rest.

I've been watching this as I fish, and I reckon you are correct. It seems to give a fairly even distribution of results from about Q=(cap - 30) to Q=cap. As you say, there may be factors such as luck that will skew the distribution towards the higher end.

Sometimes I just dump the herring, trout, and lower qualities. Other times I cook a batch and keep it for "general" food, with the high quality stuff kept separate for skill grinding.

Slightly off topic, I find the whole logic of food quality a bit odd. By skilling up Hunting and Nature's Lore I can churn out food with a Tier 1 skill that gives a food quality multiplier of up to 2.0, because by some odd reasoning a fish cooked on a stick counts as a 2 ingredient food. (Mmmm that stick sure was tasty!) Grinding my skills all the way up to Cooking 0 at Tier 4 doesn't give me anything better, and only when I reach Cooking 30 can I improve on it. I'd like to see the improvement in cooking abilities a little more evenly spread across the skill range.

Return to General Discussion