Combat Damage questions

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Brent.glines

Combat Damage questions

Post by Brent.glines » 31 Jan 2018, 14:25

I'm interested in the footman skill tree. I assume that for combat damage, a level 60 footman will hit harder than a level 30 footman, correct?

I also assume that weapon quality affects damage, and that a quality 60 war axe will hit harder than a quality 30 war axe, correct?

Do attributes such as strength affect combat damage?

Does hard/soft stamina affect damage?

Does skill in a lower part of the tree affect upper parts? For example, will I hit for more damage as a 70 footman/60 swordsman than I would as a 60 footman/60 swordsman?

Do special attacks stack? i.e. can I use special footman attacks as a swordsman in addition to swordsman combinations?

Hodo

Re: Combat Damage questions

Post by Hodo » 31 Jan 2018, 16:27

Ok damage is simple.

Your skill effects the max damage your weapon can do. So if you have 30 footman it will do less damage max than the same hit at footman 60 with the same weapon. The difference isnt major though.

The biggest factor in damage is the quality of the weapon, and the speed of the hit. Weapon swing speed is affected by your agility, so in turn your agility effects weapon damage in a way.

Strength effects your stamina use when swinging the weapon, but not the damage. Higher strength, less stamina used per swing.

Damage of the weapon is also effected by where in the swing arc it impacts the target at.

Luck also has a chance at increasing damage, and causing wounds.

No you cant use footman special attacks with a sword from the swordsman skill tree.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Velius

Post by Velius » 31 Jan 2018, 16:29

Brent.glines wrote:I'm interested in the footman skill tree. I assume that for combat damage, a level 60 footman will hit harder than a level 30 footman, correct? I also assume that weapon quality affects damage, and that a quality 60 war axe will hit harder than a quality 30 war axe, correct?

Assumption is the mother of all F&#%ups, Grasshopper.

Skill, combined with quality, determines your potential damage. Damage is soft-capped by your skill and hard-capped by your weapon. What that means is, in order to do the most damage possible, you must be using a weapon that is at least equal in quality to your level of skill. If you have 100 Footman and a quality 30 waraxe, you will do the same damage as someone with 30 Footman and a quality 100 waraxe. The former's damage is capped because that is the maximum potential of the weapon, and the latter is capped by the level of their skill. A 100 Footman with a VSteel quality 100 waraxe will obliterate both of those fighters in terms of raw damage output.

Do attributes such as strength affect combat damage?

No, not for melee. Strength merely determines your ability to effectively wield a weapon. That being said, you always want to gain a bit of extra strength above and beyond the bare minimum needed to wield a weapon because if your arm if broken during combat your effective strength will be lowered, rendering you helpless if you had exactly the amount of strength required.

Strength also helps lower the stamina cost per swing, allowing you to fight longer before becoming winded.

Does hard/soft stamina affect damage?

Yes with an "if"; no with a "but". More stamina means more swings before going winded. Gassing yourself mid-combat is tantamount to suicide.

Stamina also means higher willpower, and being able to pack a horse and still be able to move unencumbered after you ride to a battlefield is nigh-essential if you will be fighting on foot. Also if you ever need to swim to a battle you will either need to leave your horse behind, or have someone willing to swim the length 3 times to take his horse across, come back, pick yours up, and take it across.

Does skill in a lower part of the tree affect upper parts? For example, will I hit for more damage as a 70 footman/60 swordsman than I would as a 60 footman/60 swordsman?

Damage is only relevant to the weapon you are currently using and nothing else.

Do special attacks stack? i.e. can I use special footman attacks as a swordsman in addition to swordsman combinations?

See above. The same also applies for combinations. The only exception is being able to use the combos gained at 90 Assaulter and 90 Swordsman as a 90 Cavalier with a bastard sword.

Brent.glines

Post by Brent.glines » 31 Jan 2018, 23:28

Roughly speaking, at what point should I switch from using T1 level 60 footman gear to T2 swordsman gear?

Velius

Post by Velius » 01 Feb 2018, 05:33

Depends on the availability of gear, really. I would say as soon as you hit swordsman 30 you should upgrade your armor and shield. Personally I would stay with a high-quality war axe as they are stupid OP as weapons but that is up to you. Then when you hit 60 in swordsman head for your tower shield asap if that is your goal, then go back and max out your weapon of choice.

If your guild trainer has a training regimen/gear schedule they use I would get their opinions and go with their advaice as they likely have a good strategy.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 01 Feb 2018, 15:42

Velius wrote:Depends on the availability of gear, really. I would say as soon as you hit swordsman 30 you should upgrade your armor and shield. Personally I would stay with a high-quality war axe as they are stupid OP as weapons but that is up to you. Then when you hit 60 in swordsman head for your tower shield asap if that is your goal, then go back and max out your weapon of choice.

If your guild trainer has a training regimen/gear schedule they use I would get their opinions and go with their advaice as they likely have a good strategy.

Ultimately it is up to your preference.

I use a war axe and a small kite shield, with a mix of T1 scale and T2 leather. I like to be mobile when I fight, not a stagnant target.

Others I see use the reinforced round shield and do well with it. Yet others still use the kite shield with good effect.

I dont think anyone HAS to upgrade to T2 gear, but you have to be aware of a few things before you do. The quality of the gear will effect its protection values. High quality T1 is often better than low quality T2.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Service1

Post by Service1 » 04 Feb 2018, 17:54

Which role play the Atribute exactly?

Velius

Post by Velius » 04 Feb 2018, 18:19

Attributes do not directly affect combat, save for agility which determines your swing timer but is still not heavily used in the majority of builds. They determine things like your hit points and the heaviest weapon you can wield, but that is it.

Combat itself is skill points in a combat style, quality of equipment, and most importantly a player's skill at playing a video game.

Return to Newcomer Section