Skill Cap WHY?!?!?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Kasi

Skill Cap WHY?!?!?

Post by Kasi » 14 Mar 2018, 21:05

Hi,
I bet this topic has been posted like 100 times before, but I could not find it easily, so I'm reopeing it.

Skill Cap,... the horror of players who want to live in peace and "solitary". My girlfriend and I did play "LIF: Your own" quite a lot a while ago, then it became boring, because of always the same map.
Now, FINALLY, a new map coming with the mmo,... WEHEEE,... but wtf? Skill Cap 400??? I noticed that 1 day after we left the starting island.

We tried harsh skill-Caps on "Your Own", but did not want to become a too big group,... . Result: Ah, our Farmer not coming online today,.. oh,... blacksmith is on holiday for a week,... uh, no more trees bec he is heaving a new girlfriend and not playing any more, and so on, and so on,.. .

There is no need to turn skill-cap to 100%, but it'd be great to be able to do the basic stuff somehow AND to be able to specialize in 2 or 3 advanced skills,... like it is/was in real life,... you might not be the best cow-milker when your profession is blacksmith, but you should be able to get it done somehow.

Pls open the skill cap so one can be more flexible (without multi-accounting or other bs like that)

regards

Stephe

Re: Skill Cap WHY?!?!?

Post by Stephe » 14 Mar 2018, 21:12

The skillcap is here to promote the Guild factor of the game so you need to get in groups. Not more not less.

And its perfect as it is!

Kasi

Post by Kasi » 14 Mar 2018, 21:50

Hey :-)
Well I do understand that they want players to stick together and form groups. And the idea is basically very good.

But I dont think doing that by cutting down the possibility of flexible play is the right way, especially in, among other genres, a sandbox game. A genre ppl prefer who want to create freely.

But well ok, if you think the skill-cap is perfect at 400? Great, 3 servers, why not make one without skill-cap, one at, I dont know,... 1600? And one with 400? Everyone is happy,. jaaay,... XD

Maybe penalling skilling by lowering the factor from 1 to 0,8 would be an idea if you insist on restricting things, I got no problems with that.

And if you still insist on the argument that the game does not support teamplay enough, have you ever tried to keep all productions running in a town with just 1 or 2 chars? That alone should be enough motivation to keep players together.

Pls everyone give me your opinions, but pls just constructive ones.

Lightmare66rus

Post by Lightmare66rus » 15 Mar 2018, 05:47

Just make twinks. 6 characters can have, for example, all skills 100 except bows/war engineering. 3 for you and 3 for your girlfriend. and each of you will be "able to specialize in 2 or 3 advanced skills". and don't forget about INT stat...

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 15 Mar 2018, 12:46

Kasi wrote:Hey :-)
Well I do understand that they want players to stick together and form groups. And the idea is basically very good.

But I dont think doing that by cutting down the possibility of flexible play is the right way, especially in, among other genres, a sandbox game. A genre ppl prefer who want to create freely.

But well ok, if you think the skill-cap is perfect at 400? Great, 3 servers, why not make one without skill-cap, one at, I dont know,... 1600? And one with 400? Everyone is happy,. jaaay,... XD

Maybe penalling skilling by lowering the factor from 1 to 0,8 would be an idea if you insist on restricting things, I got no problems with that.

And if you still insist on the argument that the game does not support teamplay enough, have you ever tried to keep all productions running in a town with just 1 or 2 chars? That alone should be enough motivation to keep players together.

Pls everyone give me your opinions, but pls just constructive ones.

The base skill cap is 400. You can get up to 600 if your intellect is high enough. Which between two characters, you and your GF, you can cover 90% of the skills needed to survive and thrive in game.

I have 2 characters myself. 1 Combat/hunter main character, who can make EVERYTHING I need to be effective in that line. And 1 Farmer/Cook who does everything else.

With those two characters I can make my own weapons, armor, clothes, and tools for most of the things I need to do. I trade for everything else I cant make.

Yes I am part of a guild, but that guild has been pretty dead for about a month. So I and the leftovers from my guild have been working together to keep some life going.

Yes this is a social game. You can survive alone but you wont like it. It will be hard, it will not be easy, and you will not have great things. So the idea of you and your GF building a keep to yourself is right out. The best you can hope for is a small 3 bind house, and maybe a small stable.

Just wait till you have to defend your little homestead or lose it to a guild that decided they didnt want new homesteaders on their lands.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Kasi

Post by Kasi » 17 Mar 2018, 10:06

Hey,
sry I did not have much time the last days, and thanks a lot for the answers! :-)

I am already training Intelligence, and I'm up to 422 skillpoints now,.. wehee, so that is working quite well. TY for the hint guys :-P

Still, I dont see how to be able to do what we want to do with just me and my gf with 400 to 600 skillpoints, and our neighbour in the game is friendly, but not interested in merging, so I just tried to make myself a twink.

I was a bit surprised that they charge 7€ to be able to have a second char on the main island, but it finally explains the skill-cap @ least,.. loool
But its not that much, so I decided to get over with it and just pay that,... I'd rather buy myself a skill-Extention for 7 Eur though.

Funny thing is that I could not. After 20 mins of trying to get logged into steam (the autentification via handy-app was totally screwed, needed to set it back to mail) I got a handful of different exceptions like no connection to the server, authentification problem, and in the end my favourite, "You have failed to log in into Steam too often, Pls. try again later".

Now the server is down for updates, Murphy's law. loool

Multiaccounting seems to make more and more sense. I could play on 2 screens by starting 2 instances of the game at once AND dont need to pay 7 Eur for a second char.
Has anyone tried that out? Is it possible/supported with the client like in "Eve"?

Kenneth1991

Post by Kenneth1991 » 17 Mar 2018, 18:23

MONEY

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 18 Mar 2018, 00:06

Kenneth1991 wrote:MONEY

No. Balance.
If you want higher skillcap, you can always play Life is Feudal: Your Own, where you can even set up 3000 skill cap and get skill insta unlocked. Here you will depend on other players. Be it your guildmates, your friends or some other people that you will have to trade with in order to acquire goods that you cannot craft.

Kasi

Post by Kasi » 18 Mar 2018, 09:30

Hey,
yes, we are growing in numbers, we are 3 peps now, but I'm facing sever technical problems, I'll contact the support.

Getting "Oops sorry"-reports from Steam when I want to purchase crowns.
Database-Exceptiond when I try to manage the monument-rights "DataTables warning: table ID=grid-manage-access-Inavalid JSON response...." .

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 18 Mar 2018, 11:53

Kasi wrote:Hey,
yes, we are growing in numbers, we are 3 peps now, but I'm facing sever technical problems, I'll contact the support.

Getting "Oops sorry"-reports from Steam when I want to purchase crowns.
Database-Exceptiond when I try to manage the monument-rights "DataTables warning: table ID=grid-manage-access-Inavalid JSON response...." .

Please contact me on discord (http://discord.gg/lifeisfeudal) about the issue and provide me all the details, please.

Return to General Discussion