Thoughts on Outposts

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Slamzbootspike

Thoughts on Outposts

Post by Slamzbootspike » 27 Aug 2018, 07:06

Outposts have been a great addition to the game. They're useful and they give us something to fight over.

That said, there's a couple problems:

1) The ability to log into an enemy outpost makes it nearly impossible to defend them. Anyone can bark box in at any time during the week and be ready to log in, inside your walls, whenever they want to.

2) Bark boxes and bedrolls to bypass defenses is dumb. I do think walls should be something you should be able to get over but we should at least make people use "real" items -- things that require boards, rope and nails. It would be nice if anyone in this game ever actually felt like attacking a gate was a reasonable option instead of making it so cheap and easy to bypass defenses. I would remove collision from barkboxes and bedrolls.

3) I think the outpost circle of influence should be larger. The current size doesn't really open much in the way of interesting designs or options. It's too small to get creative with.

I also wonder if it would be interesting to make outposts unable to be hit with a "destroy" command. You can batter them down with siege torches during JH but you can't capture them and then hit "destroy", which is the current main method of dealing with them.

The way the game is right now, the goal is to capture outposts on Sunday and pretty much ignore them Friday and Saturday. Capturing them on Sunday gives you a few days of guaranteed returns where you don't have to fight for it. Then you destroy the outpost just before the next JH to make sure the enemy can't get it back. Kinda lame.

If we couldn't destroy them by clicking on them, it might lead to more fights, which I think is the whole point.

Dragul_Mongol

Re: Thoughts on Outposts

Post by Dragul_Mongol » 27 Aug 2018, 18:26

I believe the biggest issue is what you outlined...Bark Boxing and Bedrolls...this has to be the laziest game mechanic and frustrating for many, why the devs continue to keep this ingame is beyond the majority (just guessing as I see many negative posts about this mechanic). This issue extends beyond Outposts as well.

Monco

Post by Monco » 27 Aug 2018, 23:36

Slamzbootspike wrote:2) Bark boxes and bedrolls to bypass defenses is dumb. I do think walls should be something you should be able to get over but we should at least make people use "real" items -- things that require boards, rope and nails. It would be nice if anyone in this game ever actually felt like attacking a gate was a reasonable option instead of making it so cheap and easy to bypass defenses. I would remove collision from barkboxes and bedrolls.

Dragul_Mongol wrote:I believe the biggest issue is what you outlined...Bark Boxing and Bedrolls...this has to be the laziest game mechanic and frustrating for many, why the devs continue to keep this ingame is beyond the majority (just guessing as I see many negative posts about this mechanic). This issue extends beyond Outposts as well.

Because when they decided to remove "Barkboxing and Boosting" back in December they completely killed roaming and raiding, leading to a very big part of the PvP community to instantly leave the game just for that minor change or to keep playing during JH only (the only time where you could still climb over walls).

Removing a feature which brings content (especially if used for a quite some time already) without having something ready to replace it is always a bad idea, especially given the fact that the game has very scarce content.

They can't easily remove collision from those 2 objects or they would have already done it. They can't even remove them from the game since those 2 items are essential in the early game.

The majority of the PvP community is fine with the mechanic or is fine with it until we get proper items such as ladders and ropes to climb walls. They did actually implement "siege stairs" but if "realism" is what you're looking for and feel like bark boxes and bed rolls break your "immersion" well siege stairs would do the same since their placement looks unreal aswell.

Anyways about "bypassing gates", if you have a proper well terraformed base it should be very hard to climb on walls, and if you add castle walls to the mix well then it gets so hard that it would be possible only if there was literally noone defending it.
It all goes back on how you build.

Slamzbootspike wrote:If we couldn't destroy them by clicking on them, it might lead to more fights, which I think is the whole point.

I agree that the destroy command is lame and shouldn't be possible for outposts and i share your point.

The main problem I see with outposts at the moment is the horrible way they're exploited in Epleland since you can't capture or destroy them there because there is no JH.

Many guilds from other servers literally have full outpost production in Epleland and they simply transfer materials to their "main" server without any option of interruption, continuous free production which can't be interrupted in any way, exploit at the finest, which not only damages the already weak and non-working game economy but potential trading aswell.

That's why I think it's very important to remove outposts from Epleland, yet again we have an example of massive layers of protection leading to massive exploits aswell.
They also have no place in that server since they serve as player made hotspots, and what makes them so is the option to capture or destroy them, an option which is disabled in Epleland. Either add that option or remove them from there.

Bobik wrote:5. Player-made hotspots solution is already almost implemented and will be presented in the "May" patch. It differs from your idea, but I hope it will work even better than yours ;)

You can see Bobik referring to them as "Player-made hotspots" here, taken form another Thread.

Also if Epleland is to be kept for the future in the dev's plan, that world should be a "standalone" server, without the option of interacting and trading with other ones simply because of the overprotective game mechanics that are present in there, which lead to easy exploits that can't be easily fixed.

Anyways sticking to outposts in short words these are some suggestions I can quickly think about:
-Making a daily window (2-6 hours) in which outposts can be captured (not destroyed, that would boost the hotspot aspect and bring easy content aswell)
-Buffing outpost resistence
-Limiting outpost number (less outposts around means they should be more valuable,boosting the hotspot aspect even more, especially red world only outposts) to one per T3 claim and one per type for T4 claims.

Slamzbootspike

Post by Slamzbootspike » 01 Sep 2018, 06:37

I actually don't like that they buffed outpost resists.

With high resists, it really means that the most practical way of killing an outpost is to take it in the last 10 minutes of JH, then destroy it, which means the first 50 minutes of JH are mostly pointless. You wouldn't want to capture an enemy outpost with 30 minutes left on the clock -- you can't destroy it so you're stuck there guarding it.

Whereas killing it with torches took some time and effort and gave defenders a chance while inviting action all throughout JH. It wasn't easy (certainly not with any defenders there) but it was easy enough to be tempting.

Now I see no reason to attack an outpost unless it's within the last 10 minutes, unless we're really going all out and bringing explosives.

If they disabled "destroy" then it might get interesting again though. Now it's a more serious job, requiring real siege and capturing it in the last 10 minutes doesn't really do much for me.

Return to General Discussion