Where will the server be located? Will it be centralized

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

CrypticKiller

Where will the server be located? Will it be centralized

Post by CrypticKiller » 19 Feb 2014, 19:51

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post in but... I'm wondering what your plans are for Alpha/Beta and release location of the servers?

I'm in the far north of North America. If I'm pinging to the far side of Russia, I may not even be able to play due to lag.

Do you have plans for a centralized server for Alpha/Beta, and release? It'll be hard to stay competitive and interested if I can't have a sufficient ping on the server. Just wondering what your plans and thoughts are on this matter.

Thanks

Occultus
Alpha Tester

Re: Where will the server be located? Will it be centralize

Post by Occultus » 19 Feb 2014, 23:37

As far as I know, the server will be located in a data center in Germany at launch. A NA server is not confirmed yet.
Occultus AocG - Aesir

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 20 Feb 2014, 10:37

Yup, Alpha servers cluster is located in Germany (http://www.hetzner.de/ hosting). We are unsure about NA servers so far, but we will surely aim to provide them as soon as we have resources for them and if we will see that such population split won't harm our game in general.

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Post by Zathurus » 15 Apr 2014, 04:42

On the topic of lag,

No targeting, makes lag very important, since laggy jumpy moves or even interpolated moves, greatly changes battle situations.

Although for alpha and beta, having some testers in NA would be a good idea, since they would be testing the playability at higher ping numbers.

It is possible some ideas that work really well in an office at a few ms become difficult at pings above 100ms.

Zathurus

Do the clients interpolate movement until an update?
Is the update a move to correct along a computed path, or a jumpy snap move?
How is collision handled between lag interpolations, and movement to actual server indicated actual location, instead of client interpolated location?
Is targeting server position, or if client position is there checks to make sure hacks are not being used if targeting is client location interpolated best guess of where a foe is?

All these questions and many more are lag dependent in testing.

Devilize
Alpha Tester

Post by Devilize » 16 Jul 2014, 04:03

Can I get an update on this forum post as it was several months ago that a dev answered this. If there is no plans to release a dedicated server upon full release I have no interest in this game due to poor ping, however, I'm more then happy to donate even now if it turns out that NA will have servers for the mmo portion of the game.
The most amazing signature you could ever see is located here but in UV.

Fireraizer
Alpha Tester

Post by Fireraizer » 16 Jul 2014, 13:45

If they are able to gather the resources and support in NA then they will attempt a NA server. Also if it seems that splitting server population won't be harmful they will invest in creating one. It all depends on the success of LIF:YO at release.
Once more unto the breach!!

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 22 Jul 2014, 00:46

I was able to connect over the last test from the US on the shittiest wireless internet you can imagine and I didn't suffer any serious gameplay issues. There were about 4 of us all together (to highlight the fact I was around other people, not the amount :P) and no one was sliding or stuttering. The game was smooth and responsive.

I can't comment on how it's affected by a whole mess of people, but generally I slide around the screen in empty servers in other games with this connection. (thankfully, it's my last week here on this horrid connection!)

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 28 Aug 2014, 03:09

Bobik wrote:Yup, Alpha servers cluster is located in Germany (http://www.hetzner.de/ hosting). We are unsure about NA servers so far, but we will surely aim to provide them as soon as we have resources for them and if we will see that such population split won't harm our game in general.

I'd say aim for the middle of the U.S. if you can.

I don't see why it would, in fact, I have found once people find out about the style of combat the first thing they ask is where the server will be. People don't want bad ping with warband style combat. So I'd say that making sure there is both NA, and EU will further, rather than hurt the game.

Return to Feedback Section