Terraforming Pre-Visualization

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Terraforming Pre-Visualization

Post by Jezbelle » 19 Jul 2014, 22:13

Teraforming can be a tricky and precise art. Often, slight angles on the ground are hard to percieve and it takes time to achieve a perfect slope (or flatness). You can waste a lot of time adding and subtracting dirt, double guessing yourself.

It would be amazing if I could simply click the tile and use the "scroller" on the mouse to scroll through pre-visualizations of what the dirt might look like at different potential heights.

This would be easy to implement and save players some frusteration.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Re: Terraforming Pre-Visualization

Post by Hoshiqua » 20 Jul 2014, 01:25

I don't see what's so hard with flattening.. in fact, it is really easy to have a flat terrain. If you're speaking about holes and / or piles, well, just raise / lower terrain until you're satisfied. if the substance start flowing on / from the sides, just lower the neighboring cells too.

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Post by Tantal » 20 Jul 2014, 08:39

Flattening is easy, but making a nice slope over longer distances is really difficult. Would be happy to see the steepness of a slope, at least when I have higher terraforming skill, like 30 or 60.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 20 Jul 2014, 11:44

I don't really understand what you mean.. you're trying to flatten terrain with downward slope ?

Well, I assume it works like flatenning. Just stand on an already flattened tile and keep going. It should work no matter the distance (Me and a bud could create a quite big "platform" of flattened terrain)

But I think this functionnality could be useful, yes, but it is not really needed for now I think.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 20 Jul 2014, 21:12

Maybe it is simple for you, but for a lot of people playing the beta right now (what I've seen in game), and for a lot of soon-to-be newcomers, this would be invaluable.

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 21 Jul 2014, 04:42

I agree that there either needs to be a very good tutorial provided in-game on how to terraform the land, or else it needs to be made easier to understand.

Players are going to be running amok in the world digging all sorts of holes and tunnels, and it's important that they understand what they're doing if they plan to accomplish anything.

Baelgor
Alpha Tester

Post by Baelgor » 21 Jul 2014, 08:00

Flattening the area sure is quite simple but yeah could be a lil bit more difficult to make a nice "flat" road for travellers in hilly landscapes but i dont think you need some pre-visualization ... if you have skilled terraformers working for you ( either friends ore hired) they will know how to work this out. And if you are a newcomer ... learning by failing ... Life is Feudal ;)

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 21 Jul 2014, 10:05

Normally i'd agree... why give players a handicap? This is why:

Trying to discern wether a tile needs more dirt or less dirt should be a BASIC thing, as it is discernible at a quick glance in real life. Yet, in this game, it is not so clear, and I think we need this basic mechanic to make it so.

Seriously, being able to tell wether a tile needs more or less dirt should be EASY.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 21 Jul 2014, 14:26

It is easy.. you just look at it.

:p

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 22 Jul 2014, 00:48

I recommend using building plans to figure out the variations in terrain. I agree that there are some slight differences that can make a person pull their hair out if they go through the whole process and are ready to put down a large building with a patch or two mucking up the placement.

For me, I used building plans to figure out where the wrinkles were at.

Andy_847
Alpha Tester

Post by Andy_847 » 22 Jul 2014, 10:34

I usually use building plans that way too, that way you can locate the uneven tile, stand on an adjacent flat tile and "Flatten ground" on it, that way you are raising/and or lowering the ground level to match the tile you are stood on.

But, It really is a pain to keep having to go into construction mode just to see whats flat and what isn't flat. Maybe there should be something built into the terraforming, as suggested?

Andy
HOUSE REYNE OF CASTAMERE

Strength and Valor!

Primus
Alpha Tester

Post by Primus » 25 Jul 2014, 14:05

Building plans is the right hint. I suggest a grid like the one from the building part which can be turned off and maybe its amount of information depends on your skil- lvl. Could be just with color indicators or maybe even numbers of height etc.

And for all those who say that it is easy....
The process itself is easy but why should i be forced to go to every tile and check with inconvenient methods if this part is allready flat ?

Especially at night thats a pain in the ass. A little grid would help a lot. In my opinion is a little "help" here more realistic because in reallity i dont have a problem to see if an area is flat or not.

Cheers

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 26 Jul 2014, 04:08

You can only flatten a tile when it is not flat, the option is removed once the tile is flat. Tiles flatten to the level of adjacent tiles. I had no issue with flattening all you do is spam flatten until it's flat. If a slope of earth is too steep the ground will shift itself automatically downwards.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas