Instanced Battlefields?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

LordJoseph

Instanced Battlefields?

Post by LordJoseph » 01 Aug 2014, 00:46

I was reding the "About" section and stumbled on this: "Innovative Battle system will provide a clean, lagless instanced battleground that won't be disturbed by 3rd parties."

Now, if this means what i interpreted it as, a seperate place from the game world that a 3rd party can't access, I am a little disappointed. Sure, maybe a traveler who stumbles on a battle could get in the way, but it can't be THAT bad. I would like for the battles to take place in the regular world, where a 3rd party may find it, run back and tell everyone in town, "So-and-so is fighting so-and-so at so-and-so!" It would allow for a big event and realisticly interrupt any other events, so, you would have to hold off building your house and hightail it out of the valley if it becomes a battleground and you don't want to become involved. And if I interpreted this wrong and this won't be the case (seperate battlegrounds), then please correct me. LordJoseph
Last edited by Arrakis on 02 Aug 2014, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the proper section

En_Dotter

Re: Instanced Battlefields?

Post by En_Dotter » 01 Aug 2014, 00:51

As far as i remember (back in the day i think bobik said something about this) this doesnt apply to normal battles. Instanced battles are in other space and time and u dont lose stuff or skill points. Its basically to have fun and/or test ur (clans) skills. Maybe call it some kind of underground fight club.
In normal (non-instanced) battles 3rd parties will be able to join and do what they like. Sieges are locked for 3rd parties as far as i remember and that is a bit sad.

Anyway someone confirm what i wrote. I dont want to spread misinformation. (im 99.92% sure this is the correct stuff)

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 01 Aug 2014, 05:33

Instanced battles are part of sieges. Sieges will take place in different stages and scheduled and instanced field battles are part of it which I find interesting as it gives every party the opportunity to prepare for this specific fight and you won't lose your castles over night when no one is around.

Every other battle will be non instanced.

RoboSenshi
Alpha Tester

Post by RoboSenshi » 01 Aug 2014, 06:19

Instanced battles make sense. They determine who is winning when two guilds/kingdoms go to war. The more battles one side wins the better they are doing in the war. However skirmishes will most certainly take place in the general game world so those will definitely be seen by others.

Also sieges are not at all instanced. 3rd parties can stumble upon and in fact join a siege in progress. Settlements changing hands and a "scoreboard" of instanced battles together will determine a guild war.

Venciera
Alpha Tester

Post by Venciera » 01 Aug 2014, 06:23

I think having instanced sieges/battles is a great idea. If done right, it will provide relatively lagless combat, and cut down on outside interference.

I imagine the instance will be either an area encompassing the battleground (lets say a player built castle), or the entire server. It would be fought over an hour or so, and might have some objective like capture the guild stone, or until the attackers supply wagon runs out. I'm not sure if outsiders would be barred from entering the server/area, or if they can walk around like nothing is happening.

If you wanted to watch the battle as it's happening then you'd have to find a twitch stream or something equivalent.

RoboSenshi
Alpha Tester

Post by RoboSenshi » 01 Aug 2014, 06:29

Battles will be instanced.

Sieges will not be instanced.

Don't confuse yourself. Outsiders can neither see nor interact with a field battle. Sieges are the complete opposite. IIRC the objective of a siege is to capture/destroy the guild stone. I expect battles will be a last man standing situation with several rounds. Don't quote me on that though.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 01 Aug 2014, 22:21

As brushed upon there will be two types of instanced battles. The mini-game type for fun with no skill point loss for the PvPers who just want their daily dose of PvP without having to prey on the weak, and the instanced battles leading up to the siege.

You will have to beat a kingdom several times over in instanced battles before you can siege their guild claim city and raise it to the ground. Think of it as a safegaurd for small PvP-centric clans against zerg guilds as the instanced battles have fixed, signup numbers and lock out 3rd parties.

IIRC you knock the guild stone down a level with every battle-win, and are able to siege when it's at the first stage with only the guild city claimed. Don't quote me though, hehe. We need Bobik to swoop in here and tap our noses.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 02 Aug 2014, 06:43

Thokan wrote:The mini-game type for fun with no skill point loss for the PvPers who just want their daily dose of PvP without having to prey on the weak

What's that? Some kind of duel function?

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 02 Aug 2014, 08:53

Siegbert wrote:
Thokan wrote:The mini-game type for fun with no skill point loss for the PvPers who just want their daily dose of PvP without having to prey on the weak

What's that? Some kind of duel function?

IIRC, small team PvP minigame for money or loot in an instance which you sign up to and teleport to.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 02 Aug 2014, 19:56

The instanced battles are to give out-numbered realms a fighting chance to defend the castle town they have put months into creating. You can still lose everything but you can atleast not get completely zerged and overrun while your offline.

This is a game and everyone cannot be online at all times. Bigger alliances always have the advantage because smaller clans cannot be on 24/7. When you risk your entire territory it cannot be left up too the enemy breaking into your castle at 3 am when your all sleeping. This feature or the lack of it would break this game.

Latency and server stability is a huge issue, from personal experience I would rather have a playable battle with smaller numbers then a lagfest that ends in server crash because of large numbers. ESPECIALLY FOR DECISIVE TERRITORY LOSS OR GAIN.

Remember though when realms are at war anyone within the enemy realm can be killed at anytime, anyplace without alignment penalty. This means there will still be open world fighting and battles for loot, fun, strategic importance just not for your capitol city.

TLDR ONLY SPECIFIC BATTLES ARE INSTANCED AND THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS TO WHERE OR WHEN YOU PVP.

Arthua

Post by Arthua » 07 Aug 2014, 21:28

En_Dotter wrote: Instanced battles are in other space and time and u dont lose stuff or skill points. Its basically to have fun and/or test ur (clans) skills. Maybe call it some kind of underground fight club.

http://lifeisfeudal.com/mmorpgsandLiF/M ... -is-Feudal

You're wrong. The instanced battles are not just some fun practice ground. Those battles have consequences. It just isn't some random reckless seige. You can consider it a 'civilized' meeting ground.

So essentially after a few organized battles, an army/guild can finally charge the city/town and take it over completely. <---This stage is NOT instanced.

Besides, on the day-to-day of things when two groups are at war, members can kill opposing members at any time without penalty. So you can still be ransacked, it's just that these unofficial sackings won't bring a city down overnight.

The instanced battles just allow for preparation, and stop zerging from occuring. Quite brilliant IMO.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 08 Aug 2014, 09:20

We actually plan to have instanced battles for both of those situations. If there is no guild vs guild war going, or you're not a part of any guild or whatever reason you have not to join real battles, then you can always join random teams battle. Think about it as Dota2, WoT random solo matchmaking.
But if it turned out that you're assaulting or defending some guild - then that battle will have consequences and should be more important for you and your team should be more motivated/organized, because it is not a bunch of randoms, but your guild/mercenaries/allies whoever got invited on your side.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 08 Aug 2014, 10:55

Oh, that sound's great. One thing about those sandbox games I have a hard time to like is that I seldomly can just experience some casual battles... You either have to be ultra organized in a guild and fight meaningful fights or you get gang raped by some random PKers on the streets.

edit: just some quick idea about those casual instanced battles.
It could be like in Mount&Blade singleplayer: You see a crossed swords symbol on the map near you. Than you can ride there, decide which side to fight for and be teleported to their instance to fight it out right there.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 09 Aug 2014, 00:39

I actually like that.. but in mount and blade you can't join if both of the sides fighting are allies / neutral to you, should be the same in LiF : if you couldn't be there for the begining of a battle, but you arrive during it, you could ride there and join.

Arthua

Post by Arthua » 09 Aug 2014, 03:03

IDK. I am a fan of the planned manner of having instanced battles for major battles, and just non-instanced battles for petty skirmishes.

Kern
Alpha Tester

Post by Kern » 09 Aug 2014, 09:44

When I saw that topic, my first impression was "Nooooooo !!!". According to the size of the map, no-instancied battles would require a lot of tactics. Finding the enemy army would require scouts. When the enemy would be found, the leader will have to be good enough in strategy to take advantage of the terrain. And during the battle, there is possibilities of a surprise attack on the flanks or from behind.

As I understand the system, nothing of this will be possible in instancied battles, I found it very sad ! But I totally understand server's stability problem, so I lay down my sword and bend my knee to the developers :friends: .

My question is, will it be possible to have "unofficial battle" (i don't find the english word for "bataille non-rangée"). I explain myself. In a large town, owned by a king, multiple factions under his rule are plotting each other for influence and royal favors.

One of this faction attack another in the streets of the town. Will we see a general battle in the town or will it be instanciated to ?

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Aug 2014, 09:54

No, you don't understand:
there will be tons of non-instanced battles.

Instanced battles are planned as part of sieges and as Bobik mentioned casual battles just for fun.

Nobody is stopping two enemy guilds from clashing at each other in the middle of a field.

Wigster600

Post by Wigster600 » 09 Aug 2014, 10:24

Do large scale battles have to be instanced though? I mean, it would be great to have a field with tonnes of bodies littering the place and the losers forces fleeing into the distance.

Kern
Alpha Tester

Post by Kern » 09 Aug 2014, 10:29

Ok Siegbert, thanks for your answer :) !

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Aug 2014, 11:12

Wigster600 wrote:Do large scale battles have to be instanced though? I mean, it would be great to have a field with tonnes of bodies littering the place and the losers forces fleeing into the distance.

I don't know about the server capabilities but that's what I pictured... I think battles of up to 200 players should be possible. Warband has this though it's lagging quite heavily with 150+ players.

Kern
Alpha Tester

Post by Kern » 09 Aug 2014, 11:26

And warband wasn't using the same servers that Lif shall. And wasn't optimized for online gaming. So I think we will easily overcome that limit :).

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Aug 2014, 11:50

It started out with 64 players cap. The 200 one came much later when somebody modded it, I think.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 09 Aug 2014, 14:26

Vincenzo and his team pushed the server limit up 'til 250 with Napoleonic Wars. 250 is too much for any server box to handle though.

Return to General Discussion