Proper Dedicated Server Steps

Want to learn or teach others some of the finer details of Life is Feudal? This section is for the game guides, tutorials and FAQ's.

BruteMan

Proper Dedicated Server Steps

Post by BruteMan » 20 Sep 2014, 05:27

so after working on this on our Dedicated Box we got it up and running here there's nothing wrong with the steps they provide in the readme with the dedicated server its the my.ini file is incorrect.

so heres the basic Guide:

Download the dedicated server off Steam in "Tools"
in the dedicated server folder theres a readme.txt open that :

Code: Select all
Installation:

1. Create as many copies of \config\world_X.xml (X - number of server instance and must be unique on one server and on one DB engine)

2. Download a MariaDB 5.5 Series Engine (https://downloads.mariadb.org/)

3. Install a MariaDB engine on the same server or somewhere in your network, where that MariaDB can be reached by your game server.

4. Use docs\my.ini as MariaDB config.

5. Copy docs\config_local.cs into root folder of server and adjust according your DB location (located in a root folder of server).

6. Launch server via "ddctd_cm_yo_server.exe -worldID X" (X - number of server instance with correctly created world_X.xml file). You can create a batch file or automate that process as you like.

So following the above steps:

Step 1 not only make copies edit the XML file its your main server Settings file. (Typically if your setting up 1 server just edit the 1 XML file to your liking)

Step 2 . Make sure you get the Stable Maria 5.5 not the new 10.x Alpha

Step 3. do it defaults are fine to use, Note the password you set for Root you will need it soon.

Step 4. the file my.ini they supply you in docs inside the dedicated server folder looks like this :

[mysqld]
default_storage_engine=innodb
character-set-server=utf8
innodb_file_per_table=ON
innodb_file_format=Barracuda
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
max_sp_recursion_depth=255
max_allowed_packet=10M

query_cache_size=0
query_cache_type=OFF

the my.ini found in your mariaDB/data folder will look something like this :
[mysqld]
datadir=C:/Program Files/MariaDB 5.5/data
port=3306
sql_mode="STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"
innodb_buffer_pool_size=1022M
innodb_log_file_size=50M
[client]
port=3306

you need to basically merge these files if you stright up replace the mariadb with the one from the dedicated server it'll crash your mysql server it'll never restart.

here is how i merged ours on the dedicated server:

[mysqld]
datadir=C:/Program Files/MariaDB 5.5/data
port=3306
sql_mode="STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"
character-set-server=utf8
innodb_file_per_table=ON
innodb_file_format=Barracuda
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
max_sp_recursion_depth=255
max_allowed_packet=10M
innodb_buffer_pool_size=1022M
innodb_log_file_size=50M
query_cache_size=0
query_cache_type=OFF
[client]
port=3306

After you merge the ini files go into windows services (i assume you know how to get to your running services if your running dedicated servers) stop the service MYSQL and restart it with the new INI merged it should restart without a problem if the service errors out go back and check your my.ini file you missed soemthing.

5. copy that config into the root of your dedicated server folder edit it and insert your "Root" password you set when installing MariaDB

6. make a startserver.bat file in your dedicated server directory for 1 server it should just be a single line :

ddctd_cm_yo_server.exe -worldID 1

that's it it should run it'll auto generate its own database and server will be up and running.

Sledgehamma

Re: Proper Dedicated Server Steps

Post by Sledgehamma » 20 Sep 2014, 10:44

Excellent guide!

Got my server up and running 1st time!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 20 Sep 2014, 17:05

I do not see anything under tools on steam for LIF. Thinking it might be related to my being an early contributor.

I am trying to uninstall and reinstall.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 20 Sep 2014, 17:20

Looks like I didn't register one of the certs correctly. Re-registering them did the trick, now just waiting for the download to complete....

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 20 Sep 2014, 18:41

I ran into one issue that might cause others problems.

I already had MySQL installed on running on port 3306, so I installed MariaDB to run on port 3333. It started fine, but modifying the port to reflect this change generated an error every time when I attempted to start up the game server.

I ended up disabling my previous MySQL service, changed the port for MariaDB to 3306, and the game server started up. I think the port 3306 must be hard-wired somewhere in LIF:YO. :D

Sniper_Line_99

Post by Sniper_Line_99 » 20 Sep 2014, 20:46

Works just great! Thank you very much!

Peasant

Post by Peasant » 20 Sep 2014, 22:35

still getting db error when trying to connect.

Did you manually make the database and try to import the new.sql file?

Because if i dont import the file myself, it will auto crash, and the db file generates tons of errors. :/

BruteMan

Post by BruteMan » 21 Sep 2014, 04:08

Azzerhoden wrote:I ran into one issue that might cause others problems.

I already had MySQL installed on running on port 3306, so I installed MariaDB to run on port 3333. It started fine, but modifying the port to reflect this change generated an error every time when I attempted to start up the game server.

I ended up disabling my previous MySQL service, changed the port for MariaDB to 3306, and the game server started up. I think the port 3306 must be hard-wired somewhere in LIF:YO. :D

did you edit the port in your config_local.cs?

thats the file that gives the server all the MYsql info port password etc

BruteMan

Post by BruteMan » 21 Sep 2014, 04:10

Peasant wrote:still getting db error when trying to connect.

Did you manually make the database and try to import the new.sql file?

Because if i dont import the file myself, it will auto crash, and the db file generates tons of errors. :/

no nothing manual if your getting the data base error where it says something about the SQL server is gone to sleep etc that was our main problem go back and look at your merged My.ini there's probably something in there that's not right.

Gnomegemini

Post by Gnomegemini » 21 Sep 2014, 08:26

Have server setup the same way but it does not show on serverlist. Any suggestions?

MariaDB 5.5 is up and running, no errors so far. Router port forwarding and firewall on Win is configured for ports 28000-28002.

Sniper_Line_99

Post by Sniper_Line_99 » 21 Sep 2014, 12:21

Gnomegemini wrote:Have server setup the same way but it does not show on serverlist. Any suggestions?

MariaDB 5.5 is up and running, no errors so far. Router port forwarding and firewall on Win is configured for ports 28000-28002.

If you have changed the port in the world_X.xml to 28000 it should be working.
I used the port 27015 in the .xml and router port forwarding from 27000-27050 TCP and UDP, for me this works.

The only thing which does not seem to work is, that others can see my server. I have to join it first (because I can see it) and they can join after me via friends server list.

Gnomegemini

Post by Gnomegemini » 21 Sep 2014, 18:14

Got it running now after opening UDP also (and starting as administrator).

But:
The only thing which does not seem to work is, that others can see my server. I have to join it first (because I can see it) and they can join after me via friends server list.

Doesn't make sense to me? How do the server know that YOU are the server owner on a dedicated server?

Sniper_Line_99

Post by Sniper_Line_99 » 21 Sep 2014, 18:52

Gnomegemini wrote:Doesn't make sense to me? How do the server know that YOU are the server owner on a dedicated server?

The server does not know that I am the host. I'm just the only one who seems to can find it in the ingame server browser. So I have to join it (like a normal client) and the server will appear under "Friends" for all people on my steam-friendlist and they can join after me.

Anyway there is no admin-system integrated jet, the development roadmap says there will be an update next week implementing it. So you might use a password.

Gnomegemini

Post by Gnomegemini » 22 Sep 2014, 09:28

Year I know what you mean. Yesterday a friend tried to find the server in the list and didn't. May it be the LTE connection he uses with a server searcher timeout? Anyway after I connected he was able to connect also.

Rogerox
Alpha Tester

Post by Rogerox » 23 Sep 2014, 18:02

Thank you for your guide. It's working!

But I still have a problem: cannot see my own server on server's list, and cannot connect to it.

Need help. Thanks :)

Olepi

Post by Olepi » 24 Sep 2014, 01:12

Can you estimate the network requirements for a 64 person server?

For example, if I had 5mb/s download, 2mb/s upload, with a ping of 50, could I even run a good server? A 10 person server? 32?

RedGreen

Post by RedGreen » 15 Oct 2014, 22:54

I am having the same issue with server listing. I finally had to DMZ my server computer to get it to open the ports, but it still doesn't show up in the game.

Also, one HUGELY important, left out step from most tutorials is during the setup, you need to copy "config_local.cs" into the root directory of your dedicated server folder. This is the information it needs to connect to the database.

Another huge mistake, is the my.ini.

In it is a line

"default_storage_engine=lif_1"

The default on this is something like unnodb or some crap. This is incorrect. This must be renamed to the database you have created for it to link to. In my case it was lif_1.

PoguoH

Post by PoguoH » 29 Jul 2015, 07:00

Помогите пожалуйста! есть ли инструкция на русском как установить свой выделенный сервер?

Malkom
Beta Tester

Post by Malkom » 29 Jul 2015, 09:18

Return to Guides and Tutorials