Ore Prospecting lets the game down

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Tales

Ore Prospecting lets the game down

Post by Tales » 03 Oct 2014, 11:34

I finally thought I had found the game to satisfy me for years to come. Much like Star Wars Galaxies... BUT prospecting for ore is the biggest nuisance, pain, hassle. I spend hours looking for iron ore but can never find it. Please make it easier to find ore. I do not wish to spend all my time playing searching for this hidden oasis of ore. Currently my village (single play which is all I will play) is at a stand still. It will remain this way until ore prospecting is fixed unfortunately
:( .

Sunguardian
True Believer

Re: Ore Prospecting lets the game down

Post by Sunguardian » 03 Oct 2014, 11:41

True the way prospecting works now it is sometimes difficult to track down ore, and usually if it's a vein deeper down it makes finding it worse. Unfortunately since you are going solo and there are currently no signs to accurately display prospecting numbers to keep better track it will stay difficult.

Since prospecting works in a radius a 4 person team works best, but to do it solo is like working with a blindfold sometimes. Also if you are searching for iron in grassy/hilly area it'll more than likely be a few meters down where as on the mountain you could probably find it close to the surface. The mountain part is just a guess, but I've found a huge iron vein 6 meters down in a valley so who knows. 8-)

Viik

Post by Viik » 03 Oct 2014, 13:19

Simple and good tutorial for prospecting:
post15819/?hilit=prospecting%20tutorial#p15819

I usually open googledocks spreadsheet and mark distance to ore on each tile I do prospecting, sometime it takes time to figure out exact location on steep slopes but it get's easier with practice.
I actually like how it works as it's one of the skills which is not limited to simple click and wait grinding.

B101uk

Post by B101uk » 03 Oct 2014, 21:34

Can’t say I found prospecting to taxing or time consuming, I have found iron, copper and silver ores in little more than 15mins looking for each, but it helps if you look in the right place to begin with and employ a little logic to your search pattern.

Slopes with exposed rock are the easiest,

Jjmc00

Post by Jjmc00 » 03 Oct 2014, 22:24

Prospecting is easy. It's a good system though, it requires actual thought and meticulous note taking, and educated guesswork. They should keep it as it is, because it's pretty fantastic

If you can't handle it, get someone else to do it for you

Metl

Post by Metl » 26 Oct 2014, 01:20

I can't seem to figure it out. How do you determine what level it is on and what is a good radius to start at for narrowing it down and what is a good number to start tunneling? Also, how do you figure out what level it is on?

Dce21b

Post by Dce21b » 27 Oct 2014, 03:22

I don't find it that hard to use. The most difficult part is figuring out where it is when not directly on the surface. But it's doable, and i don't think it should just be a gimme to find the stuff.

What I suggest is use a wide radius to first detect it. Once you stop finding it (u should be 2 less then previous radious) I turn on the observe option from Tera form menu. Center yourself on the closest square. Drop an item like a single apple or branch whatever to leave a bag on initial square. Then move 3 or 4 squares in any direction until you pick up the trail again. Drop another bag in the square your in, lower radius again, rinse and repeat until your on top of it.

Leaving the bags and the use of observe makes it simple to trachea direction and location.

Jaxomadar

Post by Jaxomadar » 27 Oct 2014, 18:16

It tough but I like it being harder to find like this. I hate how so many games make everything super easy. If you were an old time SWG you know it wasn't always possible to find your ore in the galaxy on any planet. At least in this you will find it, just may need search farther away from your town. All the resources are found in plentiful amounts at the big mountain.

Metl

Post by Metl » 27 Oct 2014, 23:28

SWG pre-nge ftw! This game reminds me so much of that openness. Been searching for another game like it for years and this one just might take the prize when all said and done.

Thanks for the prospecting tips. So far I have managed to find a couple of patches close to the surface using the bag trick.

Zourin

Post by Zourin » 01 Nov 2014, 08:06

Using prospecting is a matter of echolocation.

Set up a large radius, say, 20 blocks, and wander around pinging the area until you get a hit.

Now, this could be 20 blocks in any direction, including straight down. Reduce your prospecting radius to, say, 18, and wander in a small circle from the initial position, to get an idea of which direction it may be pinging from.

If you get a hit in every direction, odds are, the vein is below you. You can then continue to prospect in shorter distances to figure out about how far below you it is, to see if it's close enough to the surface to warrant digging. There's no harm in digging up dirt to get to metal ores, since low-grade dirt is good for terraforming.

Otherwise, keep pinging until you either come up on a surface/near surface vein or give up and pick up a game that isn't a bad second-job.

Return to Feedback Section