Warehouse storage inadequate

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Istaytaken

Warehouse storage inadequate

Post by Istaytaken » 18 Nov 2014, 00:55

Having spent quite a bit of time enjoying LiFYO, my friends and I have a few issues with the balance of storage buildings currently available, primarily the weird fact that a warehouse worth 50 building logs only barely stores more than a wardrobe, and half as much as a trader cart.

Considering the size of the warehouse, and the material and space investment in making the thing, this is just a baffling piece of design and balancing. Another lesser grievance of mine is, how come the wheelbarrow can't move soil or ore? Isn't that what those things primarily did throughout human history?

In our mind, an average sized (as opposed to large) warehouse should store at least 4000, if not more. If there was at least a lockable door, we could store chests and crates inside without fear of burglary, but since there isn't one, and the building is accessible by all from the outside, the Warehouse currently is just not in any way worth the investment put in to build it. Others have most likely come to a similar conclusion, so if there's an official verdict on the matter, or news of a balancing patch coming soon, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise love the game, thanks for reading.

Tay

DichBach

Re: Warehouse storage inadequate

Post by DichBach » 18 Nov 2014, 05:17

IMO, warehouses are pretty much useless and a waste of time and effort:

1. 3 door modules, yet not a single locking door in the place

2. window modules . . . no windows

3. 600 storage!? :%) Seriously!? The built in storage of a warehouse is 100 "stones" more than a wardrobe!? :%) :%)

One might say that: well, its a place to put chests, and crates . . . yes but so is a small house (which has a locking door). Just placing your chests and crates on the ground near your house is as secure as a warehouse at this point.

I have a small plaster house. In the wake of the most recent update, I went on a container building spree and built enough that I can sort things out by type and maybe never have any container too close to full.

I have 24 barrels (8 stacks of 4 barrels) in the front from of the house, and a wardrobe, there is room for a bit more; certainly plenty of room to move.

That is a total of 7700 stones storage space. That is one room in a small plaster house, and there is the equivalent of four times that much space in that type of house. I have little doubt that I could fit 32000 stones worth of stuff into containers in a small plaster house and still have plenty of room to move in and out, i.e., a real "warehouse."

The "Warehouse" provides nothing of any use at this point, much like many of the buildings.

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 18 Nov 2014, 09:56

Wasn't their storage capacity increased in the last patch?

lif-yo-early-alpha-version-0-2-5-1-t5192/
  • Tweaked some container sizes to be more useful

Then again, that does not even explain what was changed...
The Foxtail empire successfully defended against the evil space ponies!
Read all about it: Second Invasion of Rævehjerte Repelled

- Shores of Hazeron

Xerto

Post by Xerto » 18 Nov 2014, 12:45

The small warehouse has a capacity of 600.

And yes, it make no sense to build one... but the same you can say for a house.

You use a huge amount resource and build a house and then? it's empty. All you put in the house can also be put on the ground.

So build chest's, crate's or whatever and put it in your warehouse. And you can use the 600 capactiy of the warehouse it self to put things in that are to big for chest's.

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 18 Nov 2014, 14:55

Xerto wrote:The small warehouse has a capacity of 600.

And yes, it make no sense to build one... but the same you can say for a house.

You use a huge amount resource and build a house and then? it's empty. All you put in the house can also be put on the ground.

So build chest's, crate's or whatever and put it in your warehouse. And you can use the 600 capactiy of the warehouse it self to put things in that are to big for chest's.

You can lock a house and only you can get to your stuff. You cannot lock a warehouse, despite it using "door modules" that include locks.

There is ample practical reason to build a house (apart from the aesthetics, which admittedly are quite good for virtually all of the buildings). There is zero practical reason to build a warehouse.

I personally would prefer if there were good practical and aesthetic reasons to consider building ALL the buildings, depending on circumstances. Presently, that is not the case; some buildings are just simply useless eye candy.

Istaytaken

Post by Istaytaken » 18 Nov 2014, 17:38

The reason that we built a warehouse in the first place was ostensibly for aesthetic purposes, which is to say, we wanted all our ores not to be in a big ugly pile, but in a warehouse next to the blacksmith shop. A miner could work the vein, bring it down to the warehouse in bulk, transported in part by a wheelbarrow, and the smithy could do his job without having to have a spade equipped to do so.

For various reasons this hasn't worked out. The wheelbarrow currently neither moves nor stores the things it's designed to store, and when we finally got enough building logs together to make the warehouse, we were all three of us mutually baffled at the puny storage available. That's the main reason why filling the warehouse with other containers just won't suffice: they don't store ores. The warehouse does, but only in pitifully small amounts. A Trader Cart that takes up one block and costs no building logs to make holds twice as much as a building that takes up about ten times as much room.

To me, this makes absolutely zero sense. Just increase the size of the warehouse's storage capacity and the problem is solved. It should hold thousands, not hundreds.

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 18 Nov 2014, 17:43

A small Warehouse can be claimed, same as a house.

Yes, it's storage is not balanced at the moment, there's actually three or four other discussions on this topic already.

Pre-Patch, the small Warehouse was very useful. As there were bugs that allowed folks to glitch through houses, exploiters could still get inside at your stuff. A warehouse, small or large, is a claimable structure. When claimed, other's are not able to access it.

Some servers have mods to allow for claiming furniture. That is not a part of the "vanilla" game.

I would personally like to see doors truly added to the structures. That way I would be able to place more storage furniture inside the warehouse, and have it still be secured behind a locked door. That would be a good idea.

Eve

Post by Eve » 19 Nov 2014, 04:24

Storage for warehouse is definately missing a few zeros..
But the storage for the large warehouse is also too small for the size of the structure...

Take the smallest container which is a crate? You can stack hundreds of these inside a warehouse and have more storage than the warehouse itself...

Also I think the warehouse should have lockable doors so that you can in fact store other containers inside them since it does require door modules to make them...

Jaxomadar

Post by Jaxomadar » 19 Nov 2014, 15:13

I think a lot of buildings need the lockable doors. This includes the shops that have doors, and the Trade post doors.

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 19 Nov 2014, 21:05

Jaxomadar wrote:I think a lot of buildings need the lockable doors. This includes the shops that have doors, and the Trade post doors.

+1

Toleslaw

Post by Toleslaw » 20 Nov 2014, 12:27

Warehouse is quite decent for straters. Not that much expensive (beside the flux which takes some time to get) and it gives you secure room for stocking most valuable items.

House on the other hand is neccessary to protect your important funiture such as tanning tubs, dryig posts etc from thiefs. Ore/Stone/Clay/Wood dont really need to be protected that much.

Jaxomadar

Post by Jaxomadar » 20 Nov 2014, 12:32

The small warehouse I always thought needed to be at 6,000, and the large at 100,000. I've not checked on the other storage containers yet but now that bags decay I'll need to make some :shock:

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 20 Nov 2014, 13:17

Toleslaw wrote:Warehouse is quite decent for straters. Not that much expensive (beside the flux which takes some time to get) and it gives you secure room for stocking most valuable items.

House on the other hand is neccessary to protect your important funiture such as tanning tubs, dryig posts etc from thiefs. Ore/Stone/Clay/Wood dont really need to be protected that much.

Drying Frames and Tanning Tubs I personally put behind an enclosed fence with two gates due to needing 20 or so tubs and 10 of the frames.

The house is where I'll often put my good Loom, Spinning Wheel, and Plough.

But again, I'd prefer to be able to have all of this behind a closed door in one of the warehouses.

MasterChief
True Believer

Post by MasterChief » 22 Nov 2014, 17:35

talk with your serveradmin, let him tweak the database until the devs patch the storage of the warehouse...

i for myself changed it on my server from 600 to 6000 storage,
object_types ID131 MaxContSize, just add an 0 (null)
same u have to do at your local files.. under
lif/data/objects_types.xml at ID131

just set maxcontsize from
MaxContSize>600000</MaxContSize> to
MaxContSize>6000000</MaxContSize>

restart server and game

and voila, u have 6000 storage

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 23 Nov 2014, 22:47

LuciusVorenus wrote:talk with your serveradmin, let him tweak the database until the devs patch the storage of the warehouse...

i for myself changed it on my server from 600 to 6000 storage,
object_types ID131 MaxContSize, just add an 0 (null)
same u have to do at your local files.. under

just set maxcontsize from
MaxContSize>600000</MaxContSize> to
MaxContSize>6000000</MaxContSize>

restart server and game

and voila, u have 6000 storage

Are you sure it works like that? I thought this was one of those things that had to be modded both server side and client side?

Vamyan

Post by Vamyan » 24 Nov 2014, 00:46

DichBach wrote:
LuciusVorenus wrote:same u have to do at your local files.. under

Are you sure it works like that? I thought this was one of those things that had to be modded both server side and client side?

He said that.

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 24 Nov 2014, 01:18

Ah right, my bad.

Falcion
True Believer

Post by Falcion » 24 Nov 2014, 11:25

I'm also concerned about the problem.
A large warehouse can hold 10 000 and a smaller warehouse is a little less then half of that and it can pnly hold 600... .
It should be something like 4000 or 3500. Then it would be more like a warehouse and not an overpiced wardrobe plus.

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 24 Nov 2014, 13:27

Not sure what the volume the warehouse can hold really represents. However, given you are supposed to be able to put rock and dirt there, it seems to me it should be high enough to be useful.

As I said above, I have a small plaster house.

I have EASILY fit 24 barrels and a wardrobe in my front room. That is 7700 storage in _one_ room of a small plaster house.

That tells me, a warehouse should have an innate storage capacity of 4 to 5 times that amount.

I am confident I could fit enough containers in my small plaster house to fit ~32,000 stones worth of stuff . . . but none of it would hold rock, clay, soil, etc., which is presumably what the warehouse is supposed to be for (along with other things).

Make the small warehouse 28,000 and the large 60,000.

I anticipate that the developer is "playing it safe" and keeping these numbers low until a consensus emerges out of testing. Making the numbers too high and then backing them down will be more "painful" for everyone than making them too small and edging them upwards.

So, at least go halfway to where they should be for now:

Small warehouse 14,000 and large 30,000.

Also make them lockable and take the window modules out of the recipe(s).

MasterChief
True Believer

Post by MasterChief » 24 Nov 2014, 16:59

it works, try out
on this way u can change the storage for nearly all things on private servers on ur own and according to your taste. just dig in how the database is working, it has so much modding potential

Orsus

Post by Orsus » 26 Nov 2014, 21:31

Check the storage capacity of the warehouse and other containers after you and the server update.

Friend of mine is reporting 5k and the warehouse, finally adequate, and 1.3k on a barrel.
It does not matter who is the strongest fighter, just the last one standing.

Return to Feedback Section