Should guilds have sub-guilds

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Wargamer

Should guilds have sub-guilds

Post by Wargamer » 13 Nov 2014, 04:09

We all know guilds are going to be inserted into the game as an alligiance system. As I was discussing the possible future of one of my forum posts, I came across something that caught my attention. These sub-guilds would (in my way) act as what a real life guild would act like. These would be secondary guilds that you belong to, but are limited to being profession based like say a merchant-guild or a knights-guild. Guild Halls would serve well for passing along information in the guild.

I'd like to think of these sub-guilds as a more public version of the Assassin's Creed or the Templars. I say this because these sub-guilds have their members spread out between other kingdoms; even opposing kingdoms. Nevertheless, members must still obey the laws of the kingdom they joined; these sub-guilds are just meant to assist the player.

I got this idea from my forum post, merchants skill tree
also leave some replies if you have points, objections, or you simply like it and want it to stay up longer

Vamyan

Re: Should guilds have sub-guilds

Post by Vamyan » 13 Nov 2014, 04:43

As I understand it, I like this idea. Major guilds being "city/country/kingdom/whatever" guilds, and multiple levels of "guild" below the higher level, essentially just multiple branches of the tree.

Fluffypinkbunny

Post by Fluffypinkbunny » 13 Nov 2014, 06:39

in game crafting "guilds" will be player ran and organized, if you want to form a guild of people, then you have to get off your butt and make your own forums, and do it. There shouldn't be a catch all automatic guild that you "join" just because you do a craft.

Tymefor

Post by Tymefor » 13 Nov 2014, 21:55

You should take a look at the updated FAQ (only yesterday). bobik talks about how he thinks it would be a good idea for an order to be able to build on kingdom land. So while not a full-on declaration of sub guilds a more RP route to it should be possible. An order (merchant guild) can use their personal claims for farming/crafting or whatever and build chapter houses in kingdoms to visit. Most likely building a tradepost, but you could use a house and RP that.

Tradepost being such a high level building makes me want to push even harder for a lower tech version of it. especially with coin allocation being spread over 1km blocks for each tradepost on that block. a lot of kingdoms/countries wont want you building another tradepost to cut into that. so a lower level building that is for barter only makes sense.

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 13 Nov 2014, 23:28

So are you saying that smaller guilds can now have land grants by the larger guilds like kingdoms?

Tymefor

Post by Tymefor » 14 Nov 2014, 00:43

well id guess its more like letting you build on their land and not getting marked as trespassing. rather than a formal grant of land, but it could be like that. How it looks like now is that a country leader will have a wide range of ways to grant access to things in their claim. So it will probably be just an option they choose. eg grant build permission to order xxxx, grant gate permission to order xxx, grant access to trade post to order xxx. So we wont have to formally join a country to be able to be granted access to claims/land rights.

that should let merchant guilds flourish within multiple countries. as a bonus countries will be able to recruit orders to fight in any "window of opportunity" battles. So it should be in their best interests to encourage orders to set up in their lands. Because we will want to help defend our "chapter houses".

So really it looks like its going to be possible YAY.

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 14 Nov 2014, 04:07

Fluffypinkbunny wrote:in game crafting "guilds" will be player ran and organized, if you want to form a guild of people, then you have to get off your butt and make your own forums, and do it. There shouldn't be a catch all automatic guild that you "join" just because you do a craft.

You are missing the point dear friend, I'm not recruiting anyone or trying to enforce people to join a guild, I'm just providing an idea of a new choice a player can make that can be beneficial to them

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 14 Nov 2014, 04:10

In response to Tymefor, I still think a working merchant skill tree would be useful for a merchant guild for its success

Tymefor

Post by Tymefor » 14 Nov 2014, 05:55

Wargamer wrote:In response to Tymefor, I still think a working merchant skill tree would be useful for a merchant guild for its success

look maybe. I don't get the feeling that merchant guilds is something that devs are really all that interested in. making sure that we can form them ourselves is really all that I think we can hope for.

For a merchant skill tree to be put in. For it to have any really meaning. It would have to give more benefit than someone without it. Trade will need to happen for ALL players. So it would mean a heap more balancing for all crafting, which is already a mammoth task.

I could see some merchant perks being put into a minor tree perhaps. As I believe they are outside the 600skill page. So everyone could get them if they so choose. Perhaps something that increases the gold per square KM that's proposed. Or maybe reduces the amount your tradeposts "withdraw" from that pool. Or perhaps something as simple as allowing access to different clothing for merchants. ie merchant robes require 60 merchant skill

But really merchant "skill" should come from gameplay. Knowing what kingdoms need and getting it for them. Organising efficient caravans of building goods for countries building huge projects. Building in-game relationships that let us recruit massive mercenary armies that turn the tide in "WoO" battles. Transporting of materials for and setting up of siege equipment for open world battles.

Being good at things like that is what will make playing as a merchant order FUN. We don't need a skill tree to be amazing at trade. And trade in this game is going to be ALOT more that just goods and gold. Information and relationships will be king. And no skill tree is going to help those.

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 14 Nov 2014, 12:02

I already made a forum post about the discussion of what to do with a merchant skill entitled, "merchants skill tree" so check it out to voice an opinion

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 24 Nov 2014, 20:58

This post is just to keep the topic alive

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 25 Nov 2014, 01:48

Depends on what you think a "Guild" is.

This game's Developers seems to be overlooking modern gaming's Themepark definition of a Guild, in lieu of Bands/Orders in order for their other systems to make sense, primarily the "Mentorship" skill.

A Guild in the traditional sense is a group of people who come together to study, practice, and enhance a specific Craft. They normally have at least one "Guild Master," with the starting ranks of Apprentice, then Layman (untrained practitioner), Novice, Journeyman, and then Master. Many of the modern day Unions still use this sort of ranking structure modeled off the old style of Guilds.

And personally this is something I'd be more interested in seeing. A "Guild Hall" for specific crafts, that those that practice that craft could join and communicate with one another.

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 25 Nov 2014, 03:19

Sub-guilds would be the traditional type of guild, where loyalty is not restricted to what kingdom you hail, and is meant to focus specific crafts, including an exchange of information! and guild requests for money (another reason there should be a merchant skill).

Wickedcheese

Post by Wickedcheese » 01 Dec 2014, 15:05

im with will on this one, theres alot more than just merchants guilds. These could be used as contractors for multiple reasons, maybe a craftsmens guild to help repair a torn up city or put up some walls quicker. miners, construction workers, carpenters, mercenaries, assassins/bounty hunter, iron workers heck even farmers could all be used at a large harvest.

the guild halls could form as links between one another so that a posted contract could be seen (accepted?) at all of them. or provide a safe place for their members to lodge. i dont think they should be player ran, having to deal with official forums, guild forums, and probably a smacktalk forum will be enough forums to not want to deal with a player made subguild forum.

restricted 1 sub guild per character, require 50 skill points in pertaining field to enter.

i dont know its a cool idea but its definatly a post release idea. we are gonna have to see what form of NPC will be available to player cities. so far ive only seen mention of a similar setup to Mortal Online where an NPC would stand outside a house and sell any goods the owner of the house wanted to sell. i wouldnt mind seeing more NPC to handle standing around tasks

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 01 Dec 2014, 15:58

I don't want these to be restricted to merchants; I just think they would suit merchants the best as it better involves the idea of a merchant class.

About the sub-guilds being player-ran, the devs want everyone to be independent in their own right so I think restrictions are a better idea.

My newest idea for the sub-guild is that people would post a request on a job board that the members would get done. Before it would be performed the higher ups must approve it as legitimate for the specific guild (to prevent griefing no one has to take the job and other higher ups could take it down). If an accepted request is not completed within a certain amount of time the guild loses rep and honor, and the player who accepted it loses status within the guild. A guild hall is needed to start the guild and multiple halls may be built (max 1 per city). There would be an information board on which players may post info about current trade as members have the option to go it alone instead of taking the requests as the main purpose of a guild is to make money.

Wickedcheese

Post by Wickedcheese » 01 Dec 2014, 19:01

well, while we are on the topic of job request and contracts in general, in EVE online there were only two "contract" forms that were handled by npc game mechanics, bounties and hualing contracts. the bounty was distributed automatically when the person was killed and anyone could go for it. and the hualing contracts were setup by the person wanting to hual something with a collateral fee.

all other jobs and large trades were handled through trusted mutual 3rd parties from the community. which 99% of the time went smoothly. Maybe a rep system would be nice to determine legit work for contractors. that way you dont have to browse forum post history to find out if your proxy or contractor is legit like you did in eve

i just want to see a gambling hall or tavern

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 01 Dec 2014, 21:12

Wickedcheese wrote:i just want to see a gambling hall or tavern

This can already sort of be done. You can build and host an arena for in game fights/duels, winner take all, loser loses bet and all equipment.

Anyone that attends to fight, watch, and/or do side bets with will need certain items while there (unless they brought their own). Food (and later Drink), something to bet with (kingdom's coin in exchange for other goods), and are more likely to buy from others in a Trade Post (the NPC Market, also Players can play Merchant and hawk their wares).

Your coin will become that regions standard use coin, and that is a huge advantage in terms of Power of a Kingdom, diplomatically, militarily, and materialistically.

Wickedcheese

Post by Wickedcheese » 02 Dec 2014, 02:36

Willbonney wrote:
Wickedcheese wrote:i just want to see a gambling hall or tavern

This can already sort of be done. You can build and host an arena for in game fights/duels, winner take all, loser loses bet and all equipment.

well im all for a dueling arena, but i kinda meant more like board type betting games. like the poker dice game from the witcher or 9 men's morris like in AC IV. maybe something you could sit at a table with a friend just to pass some time. Or maybe you could bet the keys to your house lol

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 02 Dec 2014, 02:54

Chess and many of the commonly played card games we still play today all came from these times. Chess the 1100s and cards with actual decks in the 13-1400s. "Bones" and later dice games even earlier than that. So that isn't a far-fetched idea.

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 02 Dec 2014, 03:56

A reputation system doesn't sound like a bad idea. My opinion would have it serve as a system for repeat customers, in which the person and higher ups who complete the job request would judge the request based on difficultly and payoff.

As for the tavern idea, I think it could serve as a central hub system where you can find bounties and it would also be a place to regain hard stamina and health faster. There would also be a special chat instead of local chat called tavern chat, where once you enter you could here special information.

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 02 Dec 2014, 04:08

Servers with integrated Teamspeak VOIP work in such a way as you must be standing near the person to speak with them.
The further away the two of you are, the harder it is to hear each other (to the point of yelling). All the way to the point where neither can hear one another. It's kind of cool to have a "localized" integrated chat system in this type of game.

So just having a building like which you speak of will do the trick I think. Increased Stam/Health regens would help. Having a "notice board" inside, usable by the Claimant if building is claimed and usable by all if not, would be nice too.

Have plenty of room inside to allow players to decorate it as well as place furniture such as tables and chairs (and allow players to sit in chairs).

Make an "upstairs" type area to allow for beds to be placed, and to have the increased would/fracture recovery times you have to lay on a bed (this could be for all beds as well).

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 03 Dec 2014, 03:14

I want to add to your distance vocal chat system idea. If one is in a building, then people on the outside can't hear (this gives better reason to discuss private matters in buildings). The tavern would be a good place to discuss dealings because every table in the tavern is considered semi-private vocal chat. If a man is not on a table, he will hear quieter, muffled speaking sounds, however if he's at a table or stool and turns the camera towards a certain table, the sound will be more focused and become clearer. People have the ability to opt the private vocal chat on or off, however, as a penalty, your character will make a leaning-in gesture that can signal other players that a deal is going on (turn it off for regular conversation).

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 03 Dec 2014, 03:39

It's actually not an idea, it's how it works. Truly, now. Join any OCN game server that has others on it. There is integrated Teamspeak that only works as I stated, locally.

Wargamer

Post by Wargamer » 03 Dec 2014, 11:57

Whether it's an idea or already implemented item in the game, the comment above still applies the same way

Return to Suggestions and Ideas