Modding Guide: Part One

Want to learn or teach others some of the finer details of Life is Feudal? This section is for the game guides, tutorials and FAQ's.

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Re: Modding Guide: Part One

Post by Maegfaer » 28 Jan 2015, 19:10

Okay, let me tell you guys how I think that Skill Ability duration works. This is based on what binart mentioned to me, but there may be inaccuracies since he was in a rush back then and told me this from the top of his head.

There are essentially two modes (values are just examples):

<duration const="30 4"></duration>
<duration const="">5</duration>

In the first mode, we have two values (30 and 4). The 30 is the base duration value, the 4 is the Skill divider that is subtracted from the base duration, like this:

(30 - (SkillLevel / 4))

This means that the higher the skill divider is, the less the Skill level reduces the base duration.

Example of SkillLevel at 100:

(30 - (100 / 4)) = 5 seconds

Example of SkillLevel at 40:

(30 - (40 / 4)) = 20 seconds

Now this is the part I'm unsure about, but I believe the resulting value is also inversely modified by the Tool Quality as a percentage. Meaning that with a tool quality of 0 the duration would be doubled, and at a tool quality of 100 it would be unmodified. This could easily be tested and measured of course. It would be nice if someone could do that.

The second mode:

<duration const="">5</duration>

The duration is just a constant value, i.e. it takes 5 seconds regardless of skill level or tool quality.

For Uprooting, I recommend something like:

<duration const="14 10"></duration>

I hope that helps. Now I hope y'all can stop bugging me about ability durations! :D (Seriously, I've had more than 10 PM's about it in addition to the posts in this thread and my Life is Balanced thread)
Pioneer LiF:YO modder
Author of Life is Balanced
My Modding Guide

Selucid

Post by Selucid » 10 Feb 2015, 02:50

Hey noob Question, if we mod the server are our players still able to connect? and will they see the new message of the day? or will they require the client mod first?

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 14 Feb 2015, 22:39

They need the client files first I think. MOTD is client-side, so they will get the same one for every server they enter (yes, quite stupid)

Now, for my own question..

Maegfaer, do you know which file / tables need to be edited in order to tell the game to unlock the next skill at skill 15 rather than 30 ? This is an example, I would like to set it to 0 personally, to virtually remove the skill lines without making the interface all messed-up !

Saltus

Post by Saltus » 02 Mar 2015, 14:05

Hey there, hope this one isn't too unrelated:

I would like to give following "problem" a try:

http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/do-grass-and-fields-grow-back-t4571/

I think without many changes I could implement a minecraft-like grass-regrowth mod. :oops:

I do have a solid c++ knowledge but 1) absolutely no idea where to start 2) assume that the way of modding the OP describes is mostly done on the sql, xml basis, where my idea would only be possible if I were allowed to alter real source code (?)

If you have any tricks and hints to get my work started I would really appreciate that :good:

Thanks in advance and keep the mods coming :twisted:

Yours sincerely,
modding-noob Saltus

Ausrick

Post by Ausrick » 04 Mar 2015, 19:13

I have a few questions on where things are located, hopefully someone can tell me please or offer some nice direction. I'd be thankful!:

To change the weather forcast for the year, is all that is required editing the weather.xml on the server?

When you harvest a tile, what script or function is called which processes that and determines yields etc.?

Where is the maintenance cycles actually triggered from and where are their scripts and functions. I want to look at decay and some of the other features and see what's happening to better understand it.

Bulwyr

Post by Bulwyr » 11 Mar 2015, 23:37

Hi,

thank a lot for this nice guide.

Is it possible to change the Shouting range?
if it possible, how i can do this? or where i cant find it.

sorry for my bad english.

DrSkelettos

Post by DrSkelettos » 18 Mar 2015, 15:40

Hey there,

is there any chance to change items in inventory or warehouses via the database? I tried it and as you described on the first page I didn't see any changes.

Does anyone have a solution for that?

Thanks a lot!
DrSkelettos

Gorgin

Post by Gorgin » 02 May 2015, 23:52

I'm looking for some advice on setting the Alignment to not go below -60. Is that something that would be easily done or can i get some info on where to start with this?

Nikifar

Post by Nikifar » 25 May 2015, 09:34

Maegfaer wrote:
Richard_Smith wrote:However, a third thing also: I am wondering if there is an issue with the claim timer thing. It seems that whatever I change and adjust, while it works for stuff like bags, objects to drop, etc. it doesn't change the 23:00:00hrs claim timer on structures... I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong or it's a limitation of the game, not being able to show more hours than 23:00:00, if I set the timer to say 7 days in seconds in the DB. I'd be amazed if you could help me with this!

It's the patch.sql file, I addressed it in the OP.

Hi
I am running a Blackbox server, and cant find the patch.sql :shock:
Can u tell me how/where to find the patch.sql

Ghost_swe79
True Believer

Post by Ghost_swe79 » 07 Aug 2015, 08:15

How to adjust an object's Claim time?

I have read this thread im really sorry but i dont get it do work, the first part is all good. but i dont find the 'objects_types' table and change the OwnerTimeout.

I only have a file in the database called cm_objects.xml but nothing on

OwnerTimeout.

On both server and client, edit skill_types.xlm

and there everything seems fine.

so anyone can I pls have a printscreen on how it should look?

Im not sure what the hell im doing wrong here :/

Best regards

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 07 Aug 2015, 09:23

Ghost_swe79 wrote:I only have a file in the database called cm_objects.xml

You're not looking in the database, that's the file system. The database can only be access through an SQL client. Try HeidiSQL.
My Modding Guide

Crodak

Post by Crodak » 08 Aug 2015, 06:58

I tried to change the object size... but it doesnt work.... the count is raised in the inventory window, but it doesnt accept the additional overweight things.

i changed in the local file in my steam folder and on the server in the object type table

what may be the reason fpr this ?

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 08 Aug 2015, 08:39

Crodak wrote:I tried to change the object size... but it doesnt work.... the count is raised in the inventory window, but it doesnt accept the additional overweight things.

i changed in the local file in my steam folder and on the server in the object type table

One possible explanation is the patch.sql file overwriting your changes. It is executed at server start. You can check if the database entry have reversed to their old value. If so, then it's most likely patch.sql doing it.
My Modding Guide

Malkom
Beta Tester

Post by Malkom » 08 Aug 2015, 11:40

I changed a lot of things in his recipes on the server. However, the GUI of production remained the same values. Can I change the pictures on the ones that I need?

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 08 Aug 2015, 12:08

Malkom wrote:I changed a lot of things in his recipes on the server. However, the GUI of production remained the same values. Can I change the pictures on the ones that I need?

Sounds like you didn't replace the recipe requirements file on the client side.
My Modding Guide

Malkom
Beta Tester

Post by Malkom » 08 Aug 2015, 18:32

Thx, it worked. I'm just not paying attention.

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 10 Aug 2015, 21:30

Maegfaer wrote:
Crodak wrote:I tried to change the object size... but it doesnt work.... the count is raised in the inventory window, but it doesnt accept the additional overweight things.

One possible explanation is the patch.sql file overwriting your changes. It is executed at server start. You can check if the database entry have reversed to their old value. If so, then it's most likely patch.sql doing it.

I encountered this issue myself, and had to append my SQL code to dump.sql to not have my database changes overwritten. Things changed since last year it seems.
My Modding Guide

Shabobado84

Post by Shabobado84 » 22 Sep 2015, 15:33

Hi Maegfaer I am really interested in modding the skill tree of my server so that non of the skills have prerequisite skills. So far i have played around with skill_types.xml on both client and server side. I changed the parrent values of all the skills to 0 and changed the group values so that all the skills are all visible in the GUI but it still dosnt seem to work :cry: Is this mod even possible? I think the problem im running into is that I cant seem to find the skill_type table mentioned in your moding guide. Would you be so kind as to post a file path? I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks for your time!

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 08 Oct 2015, 19:32

It is not something you find with a "file path", it is a table in the server's database. To access it you will need an SQL client. Very happy to see some pioneer modder such as you try out my idea :D

Speeva22

Post by Speeva22 » 18 Dec 2015, 07:59

Maegfaer wrote:
Maegfaer wrote:

I encountered this issue myself, and had to append my SQL code to dump.sql to not have my database changes overwritten. Things changed since last year it seems.

Can u elaberate on what u mean by append SQL code to dump.sql. mine keeps overwriting.

LadyCaticornx3

Post by LadyCaticornx3 » 21 Dec 2015, 04:55

Maegfaer wrote:
Officinale wrote:What do I need to set to be able to flatten paved roads on my server?

Extract the attached ZIP in /scripts/server/ on the server-side

On the client-side, edit the file /scripts/cm_substances.cs and find the StoneRoad entry (should be the last one). Change canBeShaped = 0 to canBeShaped = 1

In /data/skill_types.xml (both server and client side), add substance 177 to all the appropriate terraforming (flatten etc) abilities.

The attachment is no longer available to download. :(

Halvdal

Post by Halvdal » 10 Apr 2016, 01:07

Can anyone please upload the attachment file with the modified file? That would be very nice.

:cry:

Funboy

Post by Funboy » 11 Jun 2016, 07:44

Hi, I want to completely remove the skills to craft poison, or better to hinibite the use the poison from my server , with the aim of making the most spectacular and longest fights.

There are also willing to disable the entire class of alchemy to do so .
You know show me how to do?

maybe acting on this part of skill_types.xml :

<ID>15</ID>
<Name>Alchemy</Name>
<Parent>14</Parent>
<Group>1</Group>
<PrimaryStat>Int</PrimaryStat>
<SecondaryStat>Agi</SecondaryStat>
<Icon>art\2D\skills\Alchemy.png</Icon>
<UnknownIcon>art\2D\skills\Alchemy_u.png</UnknownIcon>
<Passive>184</Passive>
<DescLvl0>185</DescLvl0>
<DescLvl30>186</DescLvl30>
<DescLvl60>187</DescLvl60>
<DescLvl90>188</DescLvl90>
<DescLvl100>189</DescLvl100>
<MasterMessageID>518</MasterMessageID>
<GMMessageID>519</GMMessageID>
<skill_mult>1</skill_mult>
<abilities>
<ability lvl="0" name="Mix a Cocktail" id="59">
<duration const="">2</duration>
<chance>0.1</chance>
<ability_skill_mult>1000</ability_skill_mult>
<entities>
<entity type="unmovable_obj">
<ent_reqs>
<ent_req type="state">complete</ent_req>
<ent_req type="object_type_id">140 519</ent_req>
<ent_req type="claim" intruder="jh_only"></ent_req>
</ent_reqs>
</entity>
<entity type="movable_obj">
<ent_reqs>
<ent_req type="state">complete</ent_req>
<ent_req type="object_type_id">109</ent_req>
<ent_req type="claim" intruder="jh_only"></ent_req>
</ent_reqs>
</entity>
</entities>
<requirements>
</requirements>
<results>
<animation>perform</animation>
<sound>player_perform</sound>
<sstam_spent>10</sstam_spent>
</results>
</ability>

can i change the
<ability lvl="0" name="Mix a Cocktail" id="59">
to
<ability lvl="101" name="Mix a Cocktail" id="59">

?

Diegobh

Post by Diegobh » 18 Feb 2018, 03:15

Maegfaer wrote:.

Good night!

Could you help me, please?

Where could i change the fuel time consumption on forges, klin, forge and anvril, cooking pot, camp fire and all, please?

Someway it's using the fuel too much fast. I don't knew the reason, but im using too materials to create a few things.

I can't find where change it.

Thank you very much :D

Black_JackFW95
True Believer

Post by Black_JackFW95 » 16 Jul 2020, 15:41

Hi,

i would like to change the max. Skill level for the Training Dummy and the Archery Target, from 60 to 100

And i want to change the Stacksize from Throwing Knife, Throwing Spear and Throwing Axe from 3 or 5 to 10.

Can someone help me?

It would be very nice
Thanks in advance

Black_JackFW95

Kbw.bamberg

Post by Kbw.bamberg » 26 Oct 2020, 14:25

Hey,

How can i edit the owner timer on horsecarts and other mounts?
Where i must search and how its called exactly?
Thanks anyways!

Return to Guides and Tutorials