How many actual feudal kingdoms are planned for this game?

All discussions relevant to Guilds go here!

Eldurian

How many actual feudal kingdoms are planned for this game?

Post by Eldurian » 27 Jan 2015, 06:38

By feudal kingdoms I mean kingdoms that establish fiefdoms ruled over at lords. The lords being responsible for providing taxes and soliders as the king requests, but otherwise being pretty free to rule over their own lands.

At best new fiefdoms would be added to the kingdom by convincing them of the benefits joining their kingdom may offer, and at worst they will sieze new lands through military conquest and assign lords to rule over them.

My question is how many such organizations exist and how powerful is their estimated strength?

Fox327
Alpha Tester

Re: How many actual feudal kingdoms are planned for this gam

Post by Fox327 » 28 Jan 2015, 10:16

Well, there are a few kingdoms already, with different rules, orginization and taxes within those kingdoms.
And I think even more will come, once the MMO will be released.

I don't think that there will be a maximum amount of kingdoms.
Also, I don't think that this is very important right now, since those kingdoms are only usefull and important once the MMO will be released.

Eldurian

Post by Eldurian » 28 Jan 2015, 13:22

I'm not so much concerned with groups who call their leader a "king" as I am interested in hearing about groups run on an actual feudal system.

It's really interesting to me because with players investing so much time and efforts into building their home towns I could actually see many of them sticking around and folding into a larger nation that manages to conquer their lands to avoid having to abandon their homes.

I could see this game being played like a Total War campaign on the major political scale.

Cndo
Alpha Tester

Post by Cndo » 30 Jan 2015, 18:30

Well considering the way kingdoms are set up is how you want them set up i.e. King > Vassals > Lower Vassals. I think it should all work out to have a surprisingly lower amount of Kingdoms than one might think.

They may be a lot of countries but kingdoms require one vassal an minimum.
Cndo - Adminstrator/Elder of Northmark Guild

Fox327
Alpha Tester

Post by Fox327 » 30 Jan 2015, 21:38

Andius wrote:I'm not so much concerned with groups who call their leader a "king" as I am interested in hearing about groups run on an actual feudal system.

It's really interesting to me because with players investing so much time and efforts into building their home towns I could actually see many of them sticking around and folding into a larger nation that manages to conquer their lands to avoid having to abandon their homes.

I could see this game being played like a Total War campaign on the major political scale.

That is something I think as well, that it would come down to a TW campaign on political scale, but if you look at the IG-fighting and actually taking a city, is a way different thing. Because, once conquered, you need to put soldier and workers in that settlement as well, while those people might have their home at a way different settlement. I think, it will be a political war struggle, and that the forces are just to show off and defend the kingdom.

Cndo wrote:Well considering the way kingdoms are set up is how you want them set up i.e. King > Vassals > Lower Vassals. I think it should all work out to have a surprisingly lower amount of Kingdoms than one might think.

They may be a lot of countries but kingdoms require one vassal an minimum.

Well, looking at the game-mechanics right now (http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Guild), it won't be able to have a Lower Vassal. Although, if you make a agreement between all active countries within the kingdom, you will be able to create a Lower Vassal, if you give, as Count/Lord (who is a Vassal of the kingdom and leader of a country), your Viscounts the responsibility of one city in your country (look at the bottom of this link: http://lifeisfeudal.com/mmorpgsandLiF/O ... ual-worlds). But those are agreements you have to make as a country and kingdom.

Well, I understand your point of view why there would be a low amount of kingdoms and many independent countries, but that will probebly at the beginning.
There are already some kingdoms created, which exist out of 120+ players from different clans (which will be countries IG), so eventually, the minor independent counties, will have to choose what to do, since they can be easily pressured by such a big kingdom. And in case a (bigger) order does attack a country, the country needs at least help from other countries to rebuild what is lost, and maybe even help to defend their settlement.

So, I don't know if there will be many or just a few kingdoms, but I don't think there will be many independent countries.

Greatjon

Post by Greatjon » 17 Feb 2015, 04:41

the Kingdom of Westeros will be focusing its attention on running the same way as the books/tv show, but we our trying to do it without the murdering of starks every week, and rebellion after rebellion every other week.

I see the GoT as a feudal system pretty much, just slightly tweaked.

Commander Harold Godwinson

Order of the Knights Templar

Schrimpy

Post by Schrimpy » 11 Mar 2015, 12:49

Depending on how the game develops, me & me friends might be founding a colony with a population of 10-15 people & then grow from there, which will go about doing rather quickly since we are quite tightly knitted & we started out as groups of around 3 that later merged to a bigger one in the game Rust.

At one point we were the one & only major 'faction' on the server & made up whatever rules that we could think of. It later died out due to lack of things to do & to the lack of other players.

Since I heard of this game, the development of a sovereign state has been all I can think about. This state will incorporate such things as:

Ministers
For example Minister of Commerce, Minister of Labour, Minister of War, etc etc.
Senators
Nobility
Citizenship
Foreign Legions
Chancellorship
Democratic Elections (until it becomes to much of a hassle to hold elections, why we will most probably later on switch to a more autocratic form of government)
Minuteman/Conscription/Militia Service
Rule of Law
Town Watch
Trading Forum/Marketplace
Taxation
Work-quotas
...and so on & so on.

Everything that exist in this world shall be implemented in Life is Feudal basically. Again, it all depends on how the game develops.
For Schrimpy! Death to Wok & Buttersauce!

Return to Guilds Discussions and Politics