How does the spear system work?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Hanyolo
Alpha Tester

How does the spear system work?

Post by Hanyolo » 12 Feb 2014, 15:44

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if you could receive damage by running/jumping/riding into a spear that is not in attack animation.

I honestly believe that this is required to make spear play a lot more realistic.

Tusak

Re: How does the spear system work?

Post by Tusak » 12 Feb 2014, 22:04

Yes, this should be.

The disadvantage of spear is it can be broken much easily because it is wooden.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 12 Feb 2014, 23:15

Let's just make sure we can swing and do damage first :) This is alpha after all.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

banok
Alpha Tester

Post by banok » 13 Feb 2014, 00:01

There is already a brace animation for pike

I took a screenshot already, but I couldn't move the camera around to show it off better

http://i.imgur.com/ZfKnt0a.jpg

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 13 Feb 2014, 10:53

If you want someone to pe impaled by a pike, when he is running towards you, you must start attack animation in a proper time. Your character will hold your pike firmly and will stay in that way for some time.
If anyone will jump on that pike during that period - he will be damaged. If you have failed to catch that moment - he will just pass by undamaged.

Thurgeis
Alpha Tester

Post by Thurgeis » 13 Feb 2014, 11:03

Bobik wrote:If you want someone to pe impaled by a pike, when he is running towards you, you must start attack animation in a proper time. Your character will hold your pike firmly and will stay in that way for some time.
If anyone will jump on that pike during that period - he will be damaged. If you have failed to catch that moment - he will just pass by undamaged.

Sounds great, i like that damaging requires timing and isn't passive. This adds much more depth even to closed spear formations.

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 13 Feb 2014, 11:04

Bobik wrote:If you want someone to pe impaled by a pike, when he is running towards you, you must start attack animation in a proper time. Your character will hold your pike firmly and will stay in that way for some time.

Going to be pretty intense when theres like 20 of you in a formation while others are charging

Prion
Alpha Tester

Post by Prion » 13 Feb 2014, 11:39

i remember in the stream video you could brace, by kneeling down and planting the shaft in the ground behind you, can you do that forever? (disregarding if it has a stamina drain or something like that, is there some other kind of arbitrary time limit as to how long you can hold it?)

also, will we be able to swing our spear horizontally to bash people with the shaft, or if they're at the right distance slice them with the point?

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 13 Feb 2014, 13:38

You can stand in that position as long as you want, Thing is, that it will be passive position, that will deal no damage at all. But that active phase will demand some SoftStamina ofc and is quite short and finite. After it you will have to brace once more.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 09 Jan 2015, 20:32

I hate necroing an old thread, but I didn't see the need to create a new one when this thread has a lot of good info in it.

I was playing around with this, with a guildie running forward, multiple times, and at no point did we get this to work. At several points in our testing I did not even see myself entering into the 'brace' position.

Has anyone else had success with Pikes? Wondering if it's just my ignorance, or if there is an issue with the use of pikes after the last several patches.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 09 Jan 2015, 22:00

Right now pike attacks aren't implemented completely.
See my bug tracker report for information incl. Bobiks response.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 10 Jan 2015, 01:45

Thanks Storm!

For everyone else, the link is: https://lifeisfeudal.com/mantis/view.php?id=1109

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Maitri

Post by Maitri » 18 Jun 2015, 05:10

They are implemented as I killed my friend in-game with it by accident. He was smelting and I braced behind him (thinking it'd do nothing because previous tests did nothing) and let go and I did 112 damage, killing him instantly.

As far as I can tell, how it works, is bracing is like any other attack animation, the passive, holding animation doing no damage however as you let go it's attack bits become 'active' doing damage (and a ton of it!) thus damaging opponents.
Last edited by Maitri on 20 Jun 2015, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 18 Jun 2015, 22:50

I am sure he deserved it though

Maitri

Post by Maitri » 03 Jul 2015, 09:20

So playing around with the Long Pike again.

Some observations:

Firstly: I am 99% certain that the overhead stab is broken. I cannot get it to work at any distance save point blank range which is just my hands hitting my target for .5-.7 blunt damage. This is a pity as this would make the Long Pike such a fantastic weapon for skirmishes, even if it did small damage due to the poke and prod attack style.

Now the bracing attack DOES work but ... quite frankly is not worth it. I've seen it do anywere from 50 damage upwards to 120 (tested via 4 attacks, will test more with time, I think) and how it does this is so hilarious it's almost impossible to believe.

When you 'brace' the pike, and I use quotations for a reason you'll understand soon enough, you get down on one knee and hold it up roughly a finger's width above your crosshair (cause crosshair's aren't really used for anything, right?).

Now here is one of the interesting facts: It's not 'active' yet. The point does no damage, even if someone were to run into it (the point of bracing a spear/pike) and acts as if it's not even there.

ONCE you let go of attack, THEN the point (not the shaft, as with most spears) and ONLY the point (just the metal bit) becomes 'active' and to make matters even worse, your character lowers it just a bit, right above the crosshair (not inside of it) and keeps it there for roughly .25-.5 seconds. During this SMALL window of opportunity, it's active and can do damage. Because you're unable to move, all speed bonuses would need to be calculated based on the opponents movement (of course) and do not add to the damage.

I've seen wildly varied reports of damage and each time I use it, it's a frustration to even get it to hit.

How I see it, this is either unfinished or broken.

I assume unfinished because it feels ... off.

But assuming it's not, there'd be no reason to use this weapon as ANY other weapon would serve it's purpose ten times better in any situation, no exceptions, primarily because you can't do what you should be able to do and just stick it towards the enemy and wait for him to run into it. (Like real pikes were used against cavalry charges)

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 04 Jul 2015, 17:28

No.
Pikes are not broken.

They are only partially implemented.

The game currently "hits" with the pike as if it were a long spear. This does not match up to the animation at all.

Pikes clearly have different animations than spears; but if you go into the game files, the game declares that pikes have the spear attack type.

That nice overhand thrust? You can hit for 6 blunt with it like you can hit with any spear. Just ignore the anim and stand three times as far back as you would with a spear.

Once pikes are implemented the "brace" will root you, and the overhand thrust will hit where the tip is.

This isn't me talking out of my ass. Bobik has said this himself, as recently as his reddit AMA where I asked him to clarify pike functionality.

And yeah the brace is currently broken as fuck. Treat it like a spear, jack your speed bonus, I once hit a guy for 360 with it. I consider that an exploit though.

Return to General Discussion