Combat logging

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Beerbatov

Combat logging

Post by Beerbatov » 23 Sep 2014, 15:56

Its becomming very annoying for us on the server we are playing on, maybe force them into surrender position if they are in combat and alt f4 or log out?

Side note, really enjoying the game and considering its in alpha is amazing.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Combat logging

Post by Siegbert » 23 Sep 2014, 16:03

There should be a counter.

Stianos

Post by Stianos » 23 Sep 2014, 17:02

We've been having the same problem on our server, hopefully we see a timer installed. Like in some Dayz servers. Maybe they have to spend a minute out of combat, or with no combat near them. That would probably fix most problems, since the Alt-F4 would then just get killed.

Dods

Post by Dods » 23 Sep 2014, 20:54

I believe that a solution would be based on two variables. Those two variables are this:

Entering Combat (x seconds remain in world before leaving server).

Taking Damage (x seconds remain in world before leaving server).

On a side note totally related to combat logging. Hunting and fishing skill should allow us to track individuals. Even with the above solution I can forsee people running away, hiding behind a tree and praying they still log off in x seconds.

KilonKasio

Post by KilonKasio » 23 Sep 2014, 23:14

Combat log = near death/death upon re-entering/alt-f4'ing. Its a horse shit move.

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 23 Sep 2014, 23:40

You will see something to counter this.

HolyCrusader
Beta Tester

Post by HolyCrusader » 05 Oct 2015, 07:57

we're still waiting!!

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 05 Oct 2015, 08:23

the game is still in early access !

if we don't have it in the gold version in few weeks, you'll be able to whine..
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Cono
Zealous Believer

Post by Cono » 26 Jan 2016, 18:06

Why has this still not been addressed?

Combat logging as a rule is TEDIOUS as an admin to prove and figure out. Why can't we have something that combats this??

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 26 Jan 2016, 18:29

Cono wrote:Why has this still not been addressed?

Combat logging as a rule is TEDIOUS as an admin to prove and figure out. Why can't we have something that combats this??

Why prove it? So what if the attacker is unable to 'score' the loot. Yes, the player is being a chicken, but the first thing I would do every time I logged on as a player would be to check if they were on, find them, and camp them.

IMO this is another area where players are perfectly capable of managing the 'situation' themselves.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Rulant

Post by Rulant » 27 Jan 2016, 01:46

30 second log out timer and if you crash the client your character remains in for 30 seconds anyway. If Mortal Online can get that shit working surely LiF can.

Blackberrygoo

Post by Blackberrygoo » 27 Jan 2016, 16:40

Azzerhoden wrote:

Why prove it? So what if the attacker is unable to 'score' the loot. Yes, the player is being a chicken, but the first thing I would do every time I logged on as a player would be to check if they were on, find them, and camp them.

IMO this is another area where players are perfectly capable of managing the 'situation' themselves.

Are you kidding me? Yet another person who thinks its "up to the gamer" to find workarounds because the developers are lazy and do t want to make a proper game ? There are sooooooo many issues with this game , this is one these devs can actually FIX , and yet they do nothing ? Even a mod above says "you will see something for this" a YEAR AGO , are the devs just ignorant when it comes to pvp games ? This doesn't have to be complex but we NEED A SOLUTION , all we need is a thirty second log out timer , when tbey log out they instantly go to the main menu , but their CHARACTER STAYS IN THE WORLD FOR THIRTY SECONDS UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING , this makes it so if you DO COMBAT LOG , you will be VULNERABLE TO ATTACK .

God the community really pisses me off , it's full of fanboys who just want to flatter the developers , sad matter of the fact is they have no idea how to balance and the community like the guy I quoted above is exactly the same issue : they don't know how to balance and expect the player to "camp where he logged off" that is the BIGGEST JOKE I have heard , oh yA just camp the woods where he logged off for HOURS Just hoping that he somehow pops back there ... People seriously open your eyes , this is SUPPOSEDLY a finished game , yet it still doesn't have an anti-combat log mechanic ? Jesus Christ , priorities developers, if you didn't rush your game through early access they would have better alpha testers , ones that actually know what balance is and not just fanboys that won't admit the bad parts of the game that NEED CHANGING .

Think with your brain , not your heart or your incredibly biased status towards this game , it's a great game but there are SO MANY ISSUES THAT THEY CANT BE IGNORED , and some of them are as simple as not adding in combat log timers ... So stupid .

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 Jan 2016, 17:08

Blackberrygoo wrote:
Azzerhoden wrote:

Are you kidding me? Yet another person who thinks this is a sandbox game where players should dictate game play.

There, fixed that quote for you.

I didn't even bother reading the rest of your rant.

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 Jan 2016, 17:10

Rulant wrote:30 second log out timer and if you crash the client your character remains in for 30 seconds anyway. If Mortal Online can get that shit working surely LiF can.

A reasonable request that is pretty standard for MMO sandboxes. I fully support this path forward.

Tore_Hund

Post by Tore_Hund » 11 Feb 2016, 23:29

Fix the combat loging ASP

If combat log character should stay ingame for 1 min.
So you have to log out safe.

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 14 Feb 2016, 01:15

this have to be done like in ultima and co .

an npc have to be placed in the world ,if you crash the game or get con lost.

which will remain 20 seconds. but you should be able to take controll of the npc again if you got a simple connection lost and reconnect

Trenix

Post by Trenix » 17 Feb 2016, 06:02

Blackberrygoo wrote:
Azzerhoden wrote:

Are you kidding me? Yet another person who thinks its "up to the gamer" to find workarounds because the developers are lazy and do t want to make a proper game ? There are sooooooo many issues with this game , this is one these devs can actually FIX , and yet they do nothing ? Even a mod above says "you will see something for this" a YEAR AGO , are the devs just ignorant when it comes to pvp games ? This doesn't have to be complex but we NEED A SOLUTION , all we need is a thirty second log out timer , when tbey log out they instantly go to the main menu , but their CHARACTER STAYS IN THE WORLD FOR THIRTY SECONDS UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING , this makes it so if you DO COMBAT LOG , you will be VULNERABLE TO ATTACK .

God the community really pisses me off , it's full of fanboys who just want to flatter the developers , sad matter of the fact is they have no idea how to balance and the community like the guy I quoted above is exactly the same issue : they don't know how to balance and expect the player to "camp where he logged off" that is the BIGGEST JOKE I have heard , oh yA just camp the woods where he logged off for HOURS Just hoping that he somehow pops back there ... People seriously open your eyes , this is SUPPOSEDLY a finished game , yet it still doesn't have an anti-combat log mechanic ? Jesus Christ , priorities developers, if you didn't rush your game through early access they would have better alpha testers , ones that actually know what balance is and not just fanboys that won't admit the bad parts of the game that NEED CHANGING .

Think with your brain , not your heart or your incredibly biased status towards this game , it's a great game but there are SO MANY ISSUES THAT THEY CANT BE IGNORED , and some of them are as simple as not adding in combat log timers ... So stupid .

I followed this game for quite awhile and I don't think it has anything to do with laziness. Instead it has a lot to do with prioritizing features. The game is playable, just feature aren't polished and detailed yet. When seasons come out, I highly doubt it'll be overly detailed and polished too. Don't see how PvP is top priority anyway, that's going to be a problem from the MMO which I'm sure by then we'll get this feature.

Tore_Hund

Post by Tore_Hund » 18 Feb 2016, 13:12

Sorry to say this in capslock but it is Feb 2016 and still no fix for combat logging.

FIX THE COMBAT LOGGING ASP!!

Sydbio
Beta Tester

Post by Sydbio » 22 Feb 2016, 19:50

We need a system that avoids the output in battle and security when "entering the game"

NAZGULL

Post by NAZGULL » 25 Feb 2016, 13:52

Yes, we all hate combat logging if your going to fight, then fight. if your going to run, run. don't be a coward take your licks and move on.

But realistically combat logging is low on the priority fix list as there are other more critical aspects of the game that have to be addressed first.

I agree that the 30 second log out timer is the best solution, same as in Dayz, if you log out your character stands their for 30 seconds before leaving game. Its coming guys whether its sooner or later it'll get here eventually.

Ulfheoinn
True Believer

Post by Ulfheoinn » 19 May 2017, 17:06

Saxxon wrote:You will see something to counter this.

3 years later
[BP] Ulf
Óðinn's special warriors, and elite Viking forces

sunleader
Zealous Believer

Post by sunleader » 20 May 2017, 15:06

Easy Solution.
10 Second Logout Timer inside ones Claim.
40 Second Logout Timer outside ones Claim.

If the Player Disconnect via Alt-F4 the Server just assumes it as normal disconnect as soon as he notices it and log out with these Timers.
Meaning that Alt-F4 is simply the same as logging out regular.

Not a 100% solution but would likely fix 80% of the Combat Logging cases and should be pretty easy to implement.
Pls dont kill this Game by making it an Empty and Dead PvP Arena. The niche of players is so incredible small that it hardly supports one such game. And we already got 10 or so on the Market....

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 20 May 2017, 23:06

Saxxon wrote:You will see something to counter this.

This response is from 2014.

And still nothing... Even a general 10-30 second timer for logging off would fix so many issues

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 21 May 2017, 03:22

Jester wrote:Easy Solution.
10 Second Logout Timer inside ones Claim.
40 Second Logout Timer outside ones Claim.

If the Player Disconnect via Alt-F4 the Server just assumes it as normal disconnect as soon as he notices it and log out with these Timers.
Meaning that Alt-F4 is simply the same as logging out regular.

Not a 100% solution but would likely fix 80% of the Combat Logging cases and should be pretty easy to implement.

Jester is semi-right about having varying logout timers depending on the area the character is located in. The values need to be bigger though, with a combat 'bonus' time. I would go with:

15 seconds if on claim
30 seconds if on no claim
45 seconds if on another's claim

+15 seconds if you attacked someone or had been attacked by someone. Does not refresh with each attack and perhaps a 5 second buffer so that a new 15 second timer could not be started right away.

That way if you are on your own claim and get attacked, simply logging out will not save you, but getting into a structure with a closable door likely will. If you are raiding in someone's claim, then logging out so you get moved 'outside' the claim area will not help you get away faster. In fact it will be just the opposite as the claim owners will beat you senseless.

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 21 May 2017, 08:59

There is currently about 20 seconds delay between pressing disconnect and your character actually disappearing. As we all know this is no where near enough in the fluid combat that we have, because only noobs log out when the attacker is already in melee range and can kill them in that time. They usually run, hide behind and obstacle and by the time the attack gets to them he has 1-2 hits at best and they are gone.

Reeve87
Beta Tester

Post by Reeve87 » 30 May 2017, 11:51

Ever played Tibia? That's the only game I can think of where combat logging really did not work at all, so I suggest you get some ideas from that game.

Also, I can explain:

The system prevents you from logging out if you are engaged in combat. Every time you take damage or is targeted by an enemy (looked upon in combat stance), your character will get a buff called "Combat".

As long as this buff is active, your character will NEVER leave the game world. The player gets a message saying "You cannot log out in when you are engaged in combat" if he tries to log off, and if he forces the game to shut then his character will simply remain in the gameworld until the buff is lost somehow. If the character is safe; the timer will simply run out and he will disappear. But if it happens in a combat situation, then he will remain online as long as enemies are close enough to look at him.

The buff needs to be set around 1 minute each time anything offensive occurs to the character, even if the player has disconnected. This is to make sure the character is still there, even if the player panics and tries to cheat his way out of death.

It's important that it's a long timer on it. 10 seconds just won't do if your enemy uses auto-run through thick forrest and you're chasing him on a horse. I'd say at least 1 minute, just make sure that only hostile players are giving the buff.

Pros: Solid system, Very easy to implement, server side = no cheating possible. The game prevents you from accidently logging of in a bad location which could result in your death.

Cons: Connection issues in combat situations leads to death.

This is a much better solution than to just add specific timers for every thinkable scenario where the player needs to stay online. That kind of system is doomed to be exploited for several years until it works kind of good but causes a lot of issues. Please, choose to solve this problem with one good solution instead of several crappy ones.

sunleader
Zealous Believer

Post by sunleader » 30 May 2017, 12:39

Well not 100% true ^^
The Server had a max time of 2 minutes.
So if you were disonnected for 2 minutes even in combat you were logged out :)

But such long timers aint really needed here.
In Tibia Combat was Dice throws.
You had only little effect on the standard combat.

So 10 seconds would have not worked because the guy could just set defense and log off.
In games like LiF however you just stand there defenseless. Which makes you an easy and fast kill.
Pls dont kill this Game by making it an Empty and Dead PvP Arena. The niche of players is so incredible small that it hardly supports one such game. And we already got 10 or so on the Market....

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 30 May 2017, 15:16

I'm happy with bumping those times up another 30 seconds then. It has to be somewhat reasonable for those switching characters and such.

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 31 May 2017, 03:50

Some log-off time delay would be good. Im not a PvP player and the present version is actually in favor for a peace loving guy like myself; However, the Alt+f4 it's not fair and too tempting to use.
A simple, similar to "homecoming" delay procedure would be sufficient to solve the problem.

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 01 Jun 2017, 06:00

Sharana wrote:There is currently about 20 seconds delay between pressing disconnect and your character actually disappearing.

Love to see some proof of this, played the latest wave and combat-logging is still an issue. The only time I could see something like this happening would be on a horribly laggy MMO server and that is just a side-effect of greater issues

Return to Suggestions and Ideas