Real Game Lore

Discussion of the game lore and medieval ages.

Moderator: Lore Masters

Cian
Alpha Tester

Real Game Lore

Post by Cian » 14 Nov 2013, 01:14

Hello,
Hope this hasn't been posted before but here it goes. One of the most innovative ways to create lore is by chronicalling actual in game events and having the developers integrate them into an actual in game lore. Developer support could be in the form of a lore web page or wiki and maybe some in game videos or something.

For example-

Days 1- No history

Day 30- Two rival kingdom forms and politics result in a major war breaking out.

Day 60- One kingdom is completely erased by the other and their lands burnt to the ground.

Day 70- Members of the former kingdom are waging a resistance war in retaliation for the fall of their kingdom.

The above is pretty bland but only an example. The idea is that in-game volunteers interview major players involved in game events and create a live history of the server. These writings are reviewed by the developers for grammar and appropriate roleplay/historical style and then integrated on to the Wiki.

The easiest way to attract customers is to chronicle cool in game events that become part of the story of the game. This gives roleplayers an avenue to be themselves and pvpers a chance to make their mark on a game's history.

I know the reason I joined EVE Online back in the day was all the media hype over the Black Hand (in game) assassination of a major player a few years back. That got real world media coverage, not just in game media.
Lord Cian Khan
Baron of Deephold,
Gul Khan of House of Khans
Great Khan of the Tribal lands

HOUSE OF KHANS
http://www.houseofkhans.com

HOK DISCORD
https://discord.gg/NRB3DR3

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Re: Real Game Lore

Post by Dailato » 29 Nov 2013, 08:25

sounds good to me brah.

Yours truly -The Pope

AericMorte

Post by AericMorte » 18 Jan 2014, 21:23

I think this is how things should work once the game goes live. However, there is the problem of deciding what is noteworthy, what should be forgotten, and who makes that call.

In addition, there needs to be a suitable backstory/history for the game that explains how we got to the current point in history, where the players take over. Currently, I find the lore for this game extremely lacking. I certainly hope they are looking for more "lore masters".

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 18 Jan 2014, 21:56

Regardless if the devs put it somewhere the clans will surely record on the forums there side of events. It has always been so.

AericMorte

Post by AericMorte » 19 Jan 2014, 07:37

Proximo wrote:Regardless if the devs put it somewhere the clans will surely record on the forums there side of events. It has always been so.

Good point. We certainly saw that in DF from several sources.

Karlsans

Post by Karlsans » 27 Mar 2016, 16:11

well, i think so...

Return to Lore Section