Permanent death as game difficulty?

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Thokan
Alpha Tester

Re: Permanent death as game difficulty?

Post by Thokan » 22 Feb 2014, 11:47

Permadeath was fun and worked well in Haven and Hearth. But that is a game built on isolation. Here we have grand mechanics for large player interactions like wars, battles and sieges. LiF is not a isolationist survival game, thus permadeath is no option.

Also, as Prox mentioned. Your progression in this game wont be your character, it is just your tool, but your claim and crafting. There is no sense at all in wanting to start the game over.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 23 Feb 2014, 15:22

Seppuku wrote:
Telakh wrote:...
Some people deserve to be killed, and in my opinion a crime should have to be witnessed to be a crime. I hope that the systems they have in place for LiF are sufficient to hold back the naked horde of blue meatshields and neckbeards who give us gentlemen bandits a bad reputation. I look forward to towing the line and lining my pockets.

Just fyi that quote you made makes it look like I said that for some reason when I did not.

The fix for naked whites as you call them is losing skill points on death, getting wounded which takes time to heal, trespassing and declaring war on any realm that messes with you.

That sounds like a damn good system to me.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 24 Feb 2014, 06:46

Thokan wrote:Permadeath was fun and worked well in Haven and Hearth. But that is a game built on isolation. Here we have grand mechanics for large player interactions like wars, battles and sieges. LiF is not a isolationist survival game, thus permadeath is no option.

Also, as Prox mentioned. Your progression in this game wont be your character, it is just your tool, but your claim and crafting. There is no sense at all in wanting to start the game over.
In a no way I am suggesting this as a compulsory thing to be. Permadeath could be some fun and meanwhile serious challenge for long-time players to check their abilities once and again with additional character.
QUAERO TOTUS

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Post by Seppuku » 24 Feb 2014, 16:28

Sting5 wrote:
Thokan wrote:Permadeath was fun and worked well in Haven and Hearth. But that is a game built on isolation. Here we have grand mechanics for large player interactions like wars, battles and sieges. LiF is not a isolationist survival game, thus permadeath is no option.

In a no way I am suggesting this as a compulsory thing to be. Permadeath could be some fun and meanwhile serious challenge for long-time players to check their abilities once and again with additional character.

I like soft permadeath in these type of games. You die and your character's heir takes over. You make a new name for yourself, and you are passed down some of your father's skills. You also retain your family home unless it is sacked or raided completely.
Cimmerian Mercenary

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 25 Feb 2014, 05:34

Seppuku wrote:I like soft permadeath in these type of games. You die and your character's heir takes over. You make a new name for yourself, and you are passed down some of your father's skills. You also retain your family home unless it is sacked or raided completely.
This is interesting :shock: Are there any games implementing this system yet (except Crusader Kings)?
QUAERO TOTUS

MrZeppo
Alpha Tester

Post by MrZeppo » 07 Mar 2014, 11:59

Sting5 wrote:
Seppuku wrote:I like soft permadeath in these type of games. You die and your character's heir takes over. You make a new name for yourself, and you are passed down some of your father's skills. You also retain your family home unless it is sacked or raided completely.
This is interesting :shock: Are there any games implementing this system yet (except Crusader Kings)?

Star Citizen.
I'm a cake warlord, second cake in command to be specific.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 07 Mar 2014, 12:04

Well, I expect to die a lot in this game... should there really be a new character each time I die?
That sounds absurd

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Post by Seppuku » 07 Mar 2014, 17:04

Siegbert wrote:Well, I expect to die a lot in this game... should there really be a new character each time I die?
That sounds absurd

More absurd that frivolously throwing your life away because "It's only a game"?
Cimmerian Mercenary

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 07 Mar 2014, 17:33

Seppuku wrote:
Siegbert wrote:Well, I expect to die a lot in this game... should there really be a new character each time I die?
That sounds absurd

More absurd that frivolously throwing your life away because "It's only a game"?

Well, sure. I mean, I don't intend to die but I do intent to be involved in guild wars quite often because fighting is fun. This game seems to be centred around combat to a degree and I can't hope to win every battle.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 09 Mar 2014, 10:22

Seppuku wrote:
That sounds absurd

Its a game, not a simulator.

KaosReigns

Post by KaosReigns » 05 Oct 2014, 10:54

Easily summed up as, dont play on a perma death server.

I host a permadeath (Currently bugged) and most of you dont actually realize the power that permadeath has. So, from someone who runs a permadeath server, I shall enlighten you.

1) There is ZERO greifers, trolls, assholes, or basically anyone that isnt into RP, the reason for this, the players will not put up with it (I do not ban on my server, I dont have to, the players are the law). If someone griefs on my server, its upto the players themselves to institute a system of law. With permadeath, you either have to abide by their rules, or be cast to the depths of hell.

2) Skills are set at a low rate (x1) to ensure that players take the time to skill up. There is no GMing all skills on my server, cuz its such a low rate, griefers, trolls, etc, just dont waste the time.

3) It makes you consider VERY carefully about who you attack, why you attack them, and if you will actually kill them or just rob. Immersion in this game is huge.

So, as you see, when you have permadeath enabled, yes, it makes people worried, its not for everyone, however, I feel that the ability for the PLAYERS to be able to control trolls and greifers, far outweighs the negative. Not to mention permadeath seriously gears ppl to group up, and not play solo.

Hope this info about a truly hardcore server and its functions help. As I said, permadeath isnt for everyone. Certainly not for trolls.
It takes many nails to make a crib, yet just one screw can fill it.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas